Disease ID

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a very fun post for me today, and definitely not fun for the wallet. I would love to know if someone could Id this disease for me.
This is lennard my Lennardi wrasse who unfortunately wasn’t doing super well last night I tried to give him and right back into qt unfortunately to my best understanding of his movements I figured it was best to euthanize him since it was apparent he wasn’t going to make it :(

attached is his photo I hope I could possibly get an id so I can better understand and hopefully do better isolated treatments move forward.

09FE33B9-9BC3-4493-A7AA-06A878A7328D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not a very fun post for me today, and definitely not fun for the wallet. I would love to know if someone could Id this disease for me.
This is lennard my Lennardi wrasse who unfortunately wasn’t doing super well last night I tried to give him and right back into qt unfortunately to my best understanding of his movements I figured it was best to euthanize him since it was apparent he wasn’t going to make it :(

attached is his photo I hope I could possibly get an id so I can better understand and hopefully do better isolated treatments move forward.

09FE33B9-9BC3-4493-A7AA-06A878A7328D.jpeg
very hard to tell anything on a carcass but the bruising suggest either internal or external bacterial and question would then be:
Was fish eating up til time of loss?
Was it breathing normal or labored?
Any lethargic behavior or unusual swimming like head up or incorrect swimming?

Bladder or bacterial is my suspect

OP
OP
Zaven D

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very hard to tell anything on a carcass but the bruising suggest either internal or external bacterial and question would then be:
Was fish eating up til time of loss?
Was it breathing normal or labored?
Any lethargic behavior or unusual swimming like head up or incorrect swimming?

Bladder or bacterial is my suspect
Thank you for getting back to me so quick
He definitely stopped picking on food prior. Labored breathing did occur towards the end
He didn’t have a ton of strength to swim so he was just moving to wherever he could and would lay down.
My assumption was some sort of infection although I figured it could be as much. Thank you for taking the time to write me an answer, it means a lot!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for getting back to me so quick
He definitely stopped picking on food prior. Labored breathing did occur towards the end
He didn’t have a ton of strength to swim so he was just moving to wherever he could and would lay down.
My assumption was some sort of infection although I figured it could be as much. Thank you for taking the time to write me an answer, it means a lot!
Yes- infection was in place from pics and listed behaviors
Assure water quality is good especially nitrate and ammonia and tested with reliable test kits followed by good diet. While flakes and pellets can satisfy a fish, frozen menu offers the aminos and additives often within

OP
OP
Zaven D

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- infection was in place from pics and listed behaviors
Assure water quality is good especially nitrate and ammonia and tested with reliable test kits followed by good diet. While flakes and pellets can satisfy a fish, frozen menu offers the aminos and additives often within
Thank you for the guidance I really appreciate it!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the guidance I really appreciate it!
Sorry to see!

Without a microscope, I can't be 100% certain, but given the evidence, I really think this was inter-cellular Uronema. It is a really nasty protozoan that is fairly common in green chromis and newly acquired wrasses. It live internally, until it reaches the skin and then breaks out in open sores like this. The rapid breathing and dying with the mouth open are also key symptoms.

Despite what you may read, it isn't treatable - you just cannot get enough anti-protozoan drugs deep into the fish's body, and besides, once you see external symptoms it is already too late.

You can control Uronema when it is free living in an aquarium; chloroquine or formalin. The weird thing is that you can isolate Uronema from many established aquariums, it normally feeds on bacteria and does not infect fish. Nobody knows why it sometimes infects newly acquired wrasses and chromis.

Here is an article that I wrote about it:

Jay

OP
OP
Zaven D

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see!

Without a microscope, I can't be 100% certain, but given the evidence, I really think this was inter-cellular Uronema. It is a really nasty protozoan that is fairly common in green chromis and newly acquired wrasses. It live internally, until it reaches the skin and then breaks out in open sores like this. The rapid breathing and dying with the mouth open are also key symptoms.

Despite what you may read, it isn't treatable - you just cannot get enough anti-protozoan drugs deep into the fish's body, and besides, once you see external symptoms it is already too late.

You can control Uronema when it is free living in an aquarium; chloroquine or formalin. The weird thing is that you can isolate Uronema from many established aquariums, it normally feeds on bacteria and does not infect fish. Nobody knows why it sometimes infects newly acquired wrasses and chromis.

Here is an article that I wrote about it:

Jay
Hi Jay,

Thank you so much for the response.

I am definitely going to give that a read. I am really grateful you shared this with me, the fish was definitely a fighter but couldn’t beat this.

I really appreciate the wisdom and will take notes for the future!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back