DISEASE

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Just received a live aquaria order today and added it into my main system. Humu Humu, bicolor, white spot and blue spot toby.

Immediately I notice both tobies scratching against rocks, and on further inspection, see that they each have a white ulcerated lesion on their flanks. Thanks LA.

I pulled them both immediately and stuck them in a 10 gallon that I use to grow frags next to my desk, had a pair of tiny clowns that i dumped in my main tank. But I feel that the bioload of two large tobies will topple this system quickly, and i have a bunch of monties and acros and similar in it. No filtration. Heater and powerhead.

What to do?

If this is ich, how long should I wait?

When is a reasonable time to re-add to my main system, and should I treat with anything?

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Just received a live aquaria order today and added it into my main system. Humu Humu, bicolor, white spot and blue spot toby.

Immediately I notice both tobies scratching against rocks, and on further inspection, see that they each have a white ulcerated lesion on their flanks. Thanks LA.

I pulled them both immediately and stuck them in a 10 gallon that I use to grow frags next to my desk, had a pair of tiny clowns that i dumped in my main tank. But I feel that the bioload of two large tobies will topple this system quickly, and i have a bunch of monties and acros and similar in it. No filtration. Heater and powerhead.

What to do?

If this is ich, how long should I wait?

When is a reasonable time to re-add to my main system, and should I treat with anything?
Do you have any flow in that 10G tank? Any circulation of oxygen? The fish need oxygen. If it’s ich you will have to treat the fish with copper for 4 weeks in a QT tank. The tank it’s self will have to fallow for 72 says. Do you have any pictures?

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any flow in that 10G tank? Any circulation of oxygen? The fish need oxygen. If it’s ich you will have to treat the fish with copper for 4 weeks in a QT tank. The tank it’s self will have to fallow for 72 says. Do you have any pictures?

It actually has good flow because I have lots of stony corals in it!

Here is an image just taken. Both fish have identical lesions. i think they may be from the act of scratching. They arrived with these lesions

upload_2019-2-27_2-9-1.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bioload of two large tobies will topple this system quickly
If they are well feed already - just not put in more feed than before (to the two clowns) - the feeding is your major bioload - not the fishes if they stay alive.

Sincerely Lasse

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any lesions or spots, the photo is blurry.

I wouldn’t skip quarantine on anything these days..

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any lesions or spots, the photo is blurry.

I wouldn’t skip quarantine on anything these days..

At the very center of the flank, there is a fairly well demarcated lesion representing an ulceration of the skin. Not sure if this is an infectious process or mechanical disturbance. Laterally on one side only of each fish. When I get home tonight I will see how things have progressed.

It was difficult for my phone to capture any better of picture.

If they are well feed already - just not put in more feed than before (to the two clowns) - the feeding is your major bioload - not the fishes if they stay alive.

Sincerely Lasse

This is a solid point. TY

Not sure what u got there but will.need a qt tank...the corals will not handle the meds in that tank.
#reefsquad

Thanks, I wasnt sure about this, but I dont want to lose frags. If i move all corals into my main system, and then treat this system with these two fish, Would the rock and gravel etc in this tank be contaminated even if I did 100% water change?

Is there no buffering age for Cu to use?

I guess as what point would one re-add to a main system if they were not to become sick? two weeks? hopefully my main system does not blow up with anything, but I buy cheaper fish for this very reason.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch for 2 weeks while deworming. If they show no other symptoms they go in the dt.
As for the copper someone can correct me if im wong but the tank rocks and any sand will never be able to house coral again....

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the infected fish has gone into your DT, I would err on the side of caution and assume everything is infected, no matter how quickly you pulled out the infected fish.

I've only had Ich on one fish, one time, and that was while it was in QT (thank goodness). I was successful in treating it with hypo salinity.

I like round numbers, so, 90 days fallow, just to play it safe.

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I had a singapore angel that moved to a scratching behavior the next day in my display (this fish has survived every apocalypse and been with me healthily for years).

I havent had a fish disease in five years of reef keeping without quarantine, so I guess im due. (i do quarantine corals in my little ten gallon because early on I got bubble algae and decide enough of that sort of thing). started a new tank with dry rock.

So i moved both puffers back into my display and am going to see how things shake it. If i get an outbreak, I think I plan on just riding it out and evaluating after that. I dont have room to house all my fish for treatment or a fallow period

Thank you everybody for the advice.

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a FW dip for flukes, that could be irritation at the insertion point of a fluke. If you see opaque sesame seed looking things in the container you can dose Prazipro to eradicate them.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

ie flukes will unlatch when exposed to FW? and prazipro is a reef safe? Will flukes cause fatal symptoms like liver damage or have systemic spread?

Is ich a helminth too?

This is a really good idea about stuff to try while maintaining the reef

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ie flukes will unlatch when exposed to FW? and prazipro is a reef safe? Will flukes cause fatal symptoms like liver damage or have systemic spread?

Is ich a helminth too?

Flukes will drop off of in FW, flukes can be fatal by invading the gills and by secondary infections at the entrance wound. I do believe Prazi to be overall reef safe although it may impact some inverts.

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes will drop off of in FW, flukes can be fatal by invading the gills and by secondary infections at the entrance wound. I do believe Prazi to be overall reef safe although it may impact some inverts.

Wonderful, Im going to give that a go!

Are there any antibiotics that can be used in reef tanks that wont affect coral bacteria processes?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wonderful, Im going to give that a go!

Are there any antibiotics that can be used in reef tanks that wont affect coral bacteria processes?
One problem is that most of the filtration 'stuff' that you use will remove antibiotics (skimmer, carbon, sometimes light, UV, etc, rock adsorption) so its impossible to know whether you're really getting the levels correct - besides it also hard to measure the water volume correctly to dose appropriately. I do not think Prazipro is 'reef safe' - It could also kill other worms etc you might have.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem is that most of the filtration 'stuff' that you use will remove antibiotics (skimmer, carbon, sometimes light, UV, etc, rock adsorption) so its impossible to know whether you're really getting the levels correct - besides it also hard to measure the water volume correctly to dose appropriately. I do not think Prazipro is 'reef safe' - It could also kill other worms etc you might have.

It is considered reef safe but like I said it may impact some inverts.

Here is the write up from Humblefish, it is. Reefsafe but may impact some inverts as I said, tubeworms, etc.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is considered reef safe but like I said it may impact some inverts.

Here is the write up from Humblefish, it is. Reefsafe but may impact some inverts as I said, tubeworms, etc.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/
yes this is actually a drug used in people with parasitic liver ascites, mostly a developing world problem. It causes Ca+ influx in helminth cell membranes I think. It sounds like it's pretty selective to helminth only.

I'd be curious if there are some classes of antibiotics that wont affect the bacteria in symbisis with coral but knock off a lot of fish disease?

Are corals gram negative or positive. is it just a big mix?

OP
OP
T

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES could see this beign a big problem with all meds

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back