display size to room size proportion?

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on putting a 180 gallon display( 72"-24"-24") in my dining room (144"-144"). I made a mock up of the tank and display size using some cardboard. It seems kind of big to me. I know almost everyone says bigger is better. I just wondered how much consideration people put into the proportion of tank to room. I don't want to go too small only to upgrade quickly, but don't want to go too big. The first mock up was 30" in width, and even though I would love a 225 it was just to big for the room. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for the mess.
IMG_2443.jpg

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hard to tell without knowing how big the rest of your room feels. I agree, you don't want a massive tank in a tiny room such that you feel cramped by the tank. One thing i was concerned about was my tank being too bit being the center piece of my home. My house actually feels much bigger because the tank is see through (it's a room divider, check out my signature if you're curious).

I think the best you can do is just make mockups and see how you feel living with it for a bit

OP
OP
mrpizzaface

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have the wall space I will fill it up
The 72" length of the tank I am fine with could prob even go to 84", its the 24" projection into the room that worries me. If someone is sitting in the chair at the table you can still walk between them and the tank. I may be overthinking it. There is still almost 10' from the mockup tank front to the opposite wall.

OP
OP
mrpizzaface

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hard to tell without knowing how big the rest of your room feels. I agree, you don't want a massive tank in a tiny room such that you feel cramped by the tank. One thing i was concerned about was my tank being too bit being the center piece of my home. My house actually feels much bigger because the tank is see through (it's a room divider, check out my signature if you're curious).

I think the best you can do is just make mockups and see how you feel living with it for a bit
Its difficult to get a good shot of the room. I will keep the mockup for a while.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i mean to be honest, i agree with the others. You just gotta worry about depth (out of wall dimension) in your room it seems like. As for length and height of tank, i'd max out your wallet ;)

i thought my tank was huge when i first got it and now it just seems...kinda on the small side of normal (30"x30"x5')

just don't forget to think about the bearing load on the floor!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember, you may need space between the tank and the wall for pipes and cords, or to get in for maintenance, so add that space to how far it sticks out from the wall.

OP
OP
mrpizzaface

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i mean to be honest, i agree with the others. You just gotta worry about depth (out of wall dimension) in your room it seems like. As for length and height of tank, i'd max out your wallet ;)

i thought my tank was huge when i first got it and now it just seems...kinda on the small side of normal (30"x30"x5')

just don't forget to think about the bearing load on the floor!
I’m taking down my basement ceiling to expose the structure. I have an engineer coming by two weeks from Monday.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to what we believe for some reason drawings work better than mock-ups to assess how things look. There are standards in how much space u need to have for circulation of between a chair and a table.. . So if u can draw ur space and have look at it that would help ubassess better. I was lucky that the person who designed the room where tank is be a reefer and well :)
Scroll down on first page to see the reasoning I had when I designed my tank and some drawings and well...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/maroun-c-390-g-build-thread.60956/

OP
OP
mrpizzaface

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to what we believe for some reason drawings work better than mock-ups to assess how things look. There are standards in how much space u need to have for circulation of between a chair and a table.. . So if u can draw ur space and have look at it that would help ubassess better. I was lucky that the person who designed the room where tank is be a reefer and well :)
Scroll down on first page to see the reasoning I had when I designed my tank and some drawings and well...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/maroun-c-390-g-build-thread.60956/
Your build is pretty amazing. I will try to make a floorplan showing where the tank will go a little later this week.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. An sure that be it has good planing yours will be amazing.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its always a fun challenge to decide on the size of the tank eh? alot of good info had been given. but in my humble option ( for what ever its worth ) wider and longer always look better to me. easier to scape to.
but that's just me.

maybe go room divider? I think they really open up a room then you get the best of both wolds.
if you cant do that can you move the table away another few feet? or better yet add the tank to the living room. that was its in the room you are in most...just some thoughts!
cheers

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a 180 is too big. I had a similar sized space only much longer. I made a mockup using thin sticks and realistically you need more than a couple inches out from the wall. The size simply overpowered the room and looked out of place.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back