Display tank mid brace broke. Starting over…

NASAGeek

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
66
Reaction score
95
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been an interesting month. The mid brace on my four foot tank broke. I threw everything into an emergency 30 gallon while I figured out what to do. Saved a bunch of the live rock and used it to start over. Test frags are all in thanks to friends and various online shops. Tons of bacteria from bio bricks also helped avoid a complete crisis. Fingers crossed. Here we go again….

IMG_7447.jpeg
 
Good luck
 
is this glass or acrylic tank? Brace just cracked in middle or near front/back?
 
is this glass or acrylic tank? Brace just cracked in middle or near front/back?
The previous tank was a standard 55. The plastic brace in the middle gave out. Glass was bowing. This new one is a 53 gallon starfire crystal cube. Love it!
 
Center braces are technically replaceable; older glass tanks actually employed glass center braces!

I gotcha. Good excuse to upgrade. It was either going to be another 90 - better quality, and I don’t want a sump to deal with. Maybe one day. I prefer to keep things super simple like “Danny’s Aquariums” on YouTube. That being said, I am using a canister filter filled with previously cooked ceramic media. All sponges removed. I do run polyfilter pad at the very top of the oase. I own a couple skimmers, but I generally don’t use them. Handles n03/po4 via very small water changes. Using kalk for alc/cal/ph with a touch of all-for-reef / mag dosing manually. I’m hands on, but like keeping it simple. Work is stressful. Like my tanks to be “hands on” but very simple, with no thinking. Just salifert test kits and tinkering. I keep saying I’m going to build a “real” system one day, but I’m still in denial that the current house is my forever house. 🤓🍻
 
Following along!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new