Distressed fish after best friend dies

RaeOfSunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
My peacock wrasse is distressed after his best mate jumped and I'm really worried about him :(
He's swimming erratically not eating like he should and iv put something over the top of the tank now but I'm scared if he gets the chance he will jump to!
Do I get him a new wrasse friend? Is there any thing I can do to calm him down?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. :(
You could consider treating the wrasse as if it was a new addition to the tank as they are usually very nervous: dim the tank lights or shut them off for awhile if you can. Limit outside distractions in the room such as loud sounds, bright lights, etc.
I really like using egg crate material or window screen on top of my tank to keep fish in. It allows air circulation as well.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for your loss. :(
You could consider treating the wrasse as if it was a new addition to the tank as they are usually very nervous: dim the tank lights or shut them off for awhile if you can. Limit outside distractions in the room such as loud sounds, bright lights, etc.
I really like using egg crate material or window screen on top of my tank to keep fish in. It allows air circulation as well.
Exactly what I'd do too.

OP
OP
RaeOfSunshine

RaeOfSunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gutted. He was a character. I'll definately calm the tank down as much as I can. I didn't think to do that :)
And tomorrow first thing I'm going to the hardware store.
I don't have many free swimming fish should I try introduce a new buddy or wait for him to calm down?

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the middle of doing my research on wrasse right now however I would personally wait. Adding another wrasse or other fish would probably stress him out more because there’s a new fish in the tank. I would get your fish calmed down and back to normal for a few weeks before adding another fish.
I’m so sorry for your lost

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back