Distressed Goby

New&no clue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I hoped I would never post in this forum. My goby jumped today. My husband found him and was going to flush him when he noticed his gills still moving. He quickly put him back in the tank where he laid on his side breathing heavy. When he checked later he was still breathing, but the crabs had starting picking at him, so he did his best to hold them off until I got home. I put him in a plastic container to keep him safe but I’m not sure if I should do anything else.

Furthermore leading up to this I’ve lost multiple snails, they have been falling off the glass and getting eaten. I even had my large turbo snail fall off the glass. Im worried something worse going on.

Here are my Parameters from last night.

Calcium:420
Magnesium:1330
Alkalinity:8.3
Phosphates:0.16
Nitrates:10

I use RODI water with TSD of 0. My tank is 9 month old and just started to have a diatom bloom and possibly cyano.

C0490895-B2F3-461B-90F1-8FBA895EE8DD.jpeg

Mega Meltdown After Sale

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
I think it's 50/50 with your goby. I'm pulling for him. Gobies are notorious jumpers.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
I know I have a lid but he must have squeezed out a small hole in the back.
Sometimes there's nothing you can do. You already took precautions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
These guys are as tough as nails. Provide as much oxygen as you can (increase if you can) , and kill the white lighting for tonight and leave on blues to keep it calm. IF you have stress coat, it will help restore its' body slime although the fish will produce that over the next couple of days

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Treating the goby with methylene blue will help the fish's gills to exchange O2. It's an old school treatment that still works well. Best of luck with your fish.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
These guys are as tough as nails. Provide as much oxygen as you can (increase if you can) , and kill the white lighting for tonight and leave on blues to keep it calm. IF you have stress coat, it will help restore its' body slime although the fish will produce that over the next couple of days
I took the cup off the skimmer and turned it all the way up, so hopefully that will help

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Hopefully the goby pulls through I had the same issue and after a few days he was back to normal. I isolated him In a tank with extra oxygen from an air stone and added the stress relief treatment in the water thx and good luck ,

OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hopefully the goby pulls through I had the same issue and after a few days he was back to normal. I isolated him In a tank with extra oxygen from an air stone and added the stress relief treatment in the water thx and good luck ,
thanks, if he makes it through the night I plan to get some Stress Coat tomorrow

Corals.com

How do you run activated carbon on your reef tank?

• Reactor

Votes: 318 36.8%
  • Filter Sock

Votes: 39 4.5%
  • Mesh Bag

Votes: 382 44.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • I don't run Carbon

Votes: 113 13.1%

Online statistics

Members online