Diver's Den Fish without QT???

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a better heater, a "good" Aqueon heater costs $20 or less on Amazon. A cheap heater will have large swings (I bought a cheap one once, and it had 8 degree swings. The Aqueon is maybe 1.5 degrees. Also size it correctly, bigger isn't always better.

I keep a bag of ceramic media (biomax) in my sump in the DT. When I need to QT, I pull some of the ceramic out and put it in the HOB. I then replenish the missing media in the sump.

I never reuse the media, it is pretty cheap.

Yeah I ended up ordering an eheim one last one, I didn't want to risk it as it's actually been a little chilly in socal lately.

I have the marinepure balls and I have some seachem matrix I could snatch some of that too I guess.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with live aquaria.

Over the past few years, I've purchased 23 fish from them, both DD and LA. a grand total of 0....has made it out of quarantine. Same quarantine process that I use for fish I buy outside of Philly. None of them have perished.

if someone would ask me about Live Aquaria fish, I'd tell them go somewhere else.

yikes, sorry man that really sucks.

This is my first online order, figured I'd give it a shot. Every LFS around me is ehh for fish anyway and I had doubts they would actually properly order me a red lined wrasse. I was going to have a LFS order me one but they literally get it straight from a wholesale and bring it to me, which, correct me if I'm wrong, that's all liveaquaria is doing.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria is shipped from wholesalers. DD fish are from their facility in Wisconsin.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because this is going to become another "just observe" , "just medicate" "I think DD fish are clean" thread.

The fact of the matter is that DD is NOT a qt facility and fish are placed in DD because they are rare, grade A or they just need some fish. Yes, they may treat individual fish if warranted but they are not separately plumbed tanks.

There seems to be this over riding fear of medication and profalaticly treating fish. Many fish diseases can be carried and not expressed and I would say MOST people do not have the time or experience to effectively just observe fish.

There are many entirely new people to marine aquaculture and people are suggesting that they just observe their fish. Many people dont even know what ich looks like or never had this particular species of fish so how are they going to know what is normal behavior?

I am of the opinion that ALL fish need to be QTd and treated, regardless of their origin.

My original post implies pretty strongly that if you think fish from DD are safe then you are going to need a dash...or a truckload...of good old fashioned luck to be successful long term.

So why post at all the forums are here to learn and teach others if its not positive or some sort of advice it just isn’t proactive
I appreciate you took the time to write your opinion

Sorry brian but you are way off they do qt their fish and it is separately plumbed you can see for yourself in the video of the tour that i uploaded to YouTube (I’ll attach at the end) most of the fish are not rare they do have some rare fish but most are just the regular stuff that sells they sell it at a premium because its wysiwyg and because they condition the fish

Now am i saying that their 2-4 weeks of qt is good enough no you need a minimum of 6 weeks in a separately plumbed tank

Under treating or treating not properly can result in medication resistant parasites/Diseases and death you need to know what you are doing

Some fish cannot tolerate hypo or copper you need to know what you are doing thats why people are hesitant with medications besides most people don’t have a proper setup i feel more people know how to observe than to properly medicate when you are new and you get a fish you stare at it for hours

Allot People know what parasites and Diseases look like they do there research before buying a fish seeing what it looks like etc and can tell theirs is acting different
There are also very basic signs from flashing (Scratching themselves against rocks or sand) to stringy poop (internal parasites)

I agree that fish should be qt but i disagree with treating everything unless you do allot of research and know what you are doing most people kill fish this way then blame the stores and the hobby

[VIDEO]

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liveaquaria is shipped from wholesalers. DD fish are from their facility in Wisconsin.

If you call them they say that they ship from their own facility not any wholesalers except for ORA stuff

And they say they qt all fish for at least 7 days ( liveaquaria )

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with live aquaria.

Over the past few years, I've purchased 23 fish from them, both DD and LA. a grand total of 0....has made it out of quarantine. Same quarantine process that I use for fish I buy outside of Philly. None of them have perished.

if someone would ask me about Live Aquaria fish, I'd tell them go somewhere else.

I have had similar experience lately. The fish quality has dropped significantly especially with angels and wrasses. The usually show weird symptoms within a week after eating and swimming well. I suspect the fish were not collected properly. The most recent experience is a Goldflake angel and it arrived with an obvious bump on one side of its body. The fish died the 2nd day.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered from LA and DD many times and ONCE I did receive a firefish with flukes and a damsel that had scales missing/ripped fins..... both from Divers Den, the same shipment even. So yes, I would QT. Both fish perished :( I ordered the same exact fish from from LA (since out of stock on DD) and both of those guys have been alive and well... after I put them through my own QT process.

DD has better quality fish usually but no way they cure every fish that goes through there, especially since some are only held 2 weeks.

PcDr32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 30 days in of my fallow period for my DT after a velvet outbreak....not caused by new fish but stress. I will NEVER take a chance at going through this again. QT for me regardless of where they come from.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back