Diver's Den Fish without QT???

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently bought a few tuxedo damsels .... guess what, looks like they've got uronema. Not all fish are suceptible, but had I put these directly into my display I'd have put all my anthias at risk. THATS WHY I QT ALL FISH. Phew!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have fun anymore?

In my predator tank, I have a puffer, lion, eel, and angler. I feed them live grass shrimp as a treat. Am I supposed to keep them in a QT for 76 days? I don't know if you know the life cycle of shrimp, but they do not live that long.

I QT'd new arrivals, but at some point you need to ease up. Seriously, my puffer eats snails at will. How do you QT snails without them dying?

In my coral tank, I dip all new coral in Bayer. I had an aiptasia issue, but that was from the LFS where I bought one Tonga rock. Should I have QT'd the rock? Would the aiptasia die in QT? Thankfully berghia took care of that.

I don't have another tank with LED lights to house all new corals, snails, crabs, nudibranches, chaeto, frozen food etc. I don't think anyone does.
I can honestly say that i have a much more enjoyable DT after setting up a coral and fish QT tanks.
I have maybe what..$150 tops in both.

Is it fun? Not exactly but what is very fun is knowing that you dont have ich, velvet, parasites, AEFW, planeria, nudibranchs, worms, etc in your DT. I have an absolutely stupid amount of money in my tank in fish and corals, for me, it is worth the time to qt.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say that i have a much more enjoyable DT after setting up a coral and fish QT tanks.
I have maybe what..$150 tops in both.

Is it fun? Not exactly but what is very fun is knowing that you dont have ich, velvet, parasites, AEFW, planeria, nudibranchs, worms, etc in your DT. I have an absolutely stupid amount of money in my tank in fish and corals, for me, it is worth the time to qt.
$150 in what? A QT?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 40 breeder fish and 20 gallon coral qts, pumps, filters, lights. Not a lot of money bro. That is like what two nice frags? The idea that "nobody" has properly lit qts for corals and what not is just false. Lots of people do.

The more money you have in a system, the more careful one tends to be. Just starting over with my 300 is not an option, if it crashes i am done.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 40 breeder fish and 20 gallon coral qts, pumps, filters, lights. Not a lot of money bro. That is like what two nice frags? The idea that "nobody" has properly lit qts for corals and what not is just false. Lots of people do.

The more money you have in a system, the more careful one tends to be. Just starting over with my 300 is not an option, if it crashes i am done.
How do you have a coral QT with an adequate light that will sustain sps corals for 76 days for $150.

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I've bought many fish from the regular portion of the Liveaquaria webstore and a few from Diver's Den. I've always QT'd all fish going into my display and this system has never had any Crypto or Velvet. I recently purchased 2 gobies from Diver's Den and I really don't feel like going through the whole QT process. Does anyone have any experience/input on Diver's Den fish requiring QT? Are they still likely to carry Crypto, Velvet, flukes, etc.?

Just want to let you know that LiveAquaria is owned by Petco. Now I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy from there, but I do know that they do starve their fish. I have ordered 3 tangs threw LiveAquaria and they all came skinny and covered in ich. I got really lucky that I had a QT tank set up because my Purple Tang was in rough shape. I know that most of the time they don’t take the time to feed the fish properly because they ship them off as soon as they get them. If you plan on dropping a lot of money on a fish threw this website, buy at your own risk. It is always a gamble buying something that you can’t see. Good luck!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to let you know that LiveAquaria is owned by Petco. Now I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy from there, but I do know that they do starve their fish. I have ordered 3 tangs threw LiveAquaria and they all came skinny and covered in ich. I got really lucky that I had a QT tank set up because my Purple Tang was in rough shape. I know that most of the time they don’t take the time to feed the fish properly because they ship them off as soon as they get them. If you plan on dropping a lot of money on a fish threw this website, buy at your own risk. It is always a gamble buying something that you can’t see. Good luck!
LA and LADD are 2 seperate facilities. LA fish are essentially just picked and shipped directly from a wholesaler. LADD has their livestock shipped in where they are conditioned for 2 weeks prior to being offered for sale.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve received lots of parasites from DD fish. Ich, velvet, and the worst gram negative infections you’ve ever seen.

That said, it is comparatively less of an issue with DD fish and I appreciate the conditioning as they’re generally in better health and more accustomed to captivity upon arrival.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so.. question:

I just did my first online order of fish from liveaquaria. I ordered an ORA orchid dottyback from divers den and a liveaquaria red line wrasse. I only have one QT.

So what I want to do is put the ORA DD dottyback in my DT immediately and put the wrasse in the QT. I don't even know if I will actually medicate the wrasse in there, maybe just observe. Using meds feels scary.

Thoughts? Do it? Don't do it!? I'm thinking the DD ORA dottyback is probably pretty safe? Whereas the wild wrasse from LA is probably at least in need of some observation.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so.. question:

I just did my first online order of fish from liveaquaria. I ordered an ORA orchid dottyback from divers den and a liveaquaria red line wrasse. I only have one QT.

So what I want to do is put the ORA DD dottyback in my DT immediately and put the wrasse in the QT. I don't even know if I will actually medicate the wrasse in there, maybe just observe. Using meds feels scary.

Thoughts? Do it? Don't do it!? I'm thinking the DD ORA dottyback is probably pretty safe? Whereas the wild wrasse from LA is probably at least in need of some observation.

In my experience dd and liveaquaria are pretty clean fish

Liveaquaria qt all fish for at least a week i was told by them

Wrasses are sensitive to some medications so be careful what you do medicate with (if there is a problem)

Wrasses for the most part are usually clean the only thing they might have is a digestive tract parasite (many other fish have this too)
Just keep a eye on its poop if its stringy that’s usually a sign

Good luck and enjoy your new additions

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience dd and liveaquaria are pretty clean fish

Liveaquaria qt all fish for at least a week i was told by them

Wrasses are sensitive to some medications so be careful what you do medicate with (if there is a problem)

Wrasses for the most part are usually clean the only thing they might have is a digestive tract parasite (many other fish have this too)
Just keep a eye on its poop if its stringy that’s usually a sign

Good luck and enjoy your new additions

Yeah I've read they're hard to just observe because of their thick slime coat. I guess what really scares me is copper, the other stuff doesn't seem as scary..

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've read they're hard to just observe because of their thick slime coat. I guess what really scares me is copper, the other stuff doesn't seem as scary..

Copper isn’t hard you just need to follow the rules closely
But i highly doubt that you would need to medicate

If your wrasse is a sand dweller make sure you have a takeaway container full of sand for it otherwise it can hurt itself

Make sure you have a lid as well

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper isn’t hard you just need to follow the rules closely
But i highly doubt that you would need to medicate

If your wrasse is a sand dweller make sure you have a takeaway container full of sand for it otherwise it can hurt itself

Make sure you have a lid as well

yeah I read about the sand for the wrasse..

I guess I'll put them both in the QT just to be safe. Hopefully the wrasse doesn't contaminate the dottyback, that'd be a bummer lol

thanks for the replies!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back