Diver's Den Fish without QT???

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I've bought many fish from the regular portion of the Liveaquaria webstore and a few from Diver's Den. I've always QT'd all fish going into my display and this system has never had any Crypto or Velvet. I recently purchased 2 gobies from Diver's Den and I really don't feel like going through the whole QT process. Does anyone have any experience/input on Diver's Den fish requiring QT? Are they still likely to carry Crypto, Velvet, flukes, etc.?
No ways i wouldnt trust any lfs when it comes to crypto or velvet... youll end up like me watched fish at a lfs for 2 weeks they looked healthy took them home didnt qt the baby blue tang i had apparently had velvet and the coral beauty had ich got the double wammy everything died as the velvet ripped through my tank been in fallow for 40 days still got 36 days to go now i got a qt setup qt your fish its not worth the risk

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No s#$t lol

Some of us unfortunately don’t have the space to set up a proper quarantine. I have one in storage but setting it up is a nuisance when the only available space to put it is on your kitchen floor or your nightstand lol

What I really need is a battlecoral for fish, I’d pay $50 for a royal gramma or blue chromis if it’s gone through an extensive 2+ month quarantine and treat.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us unfortunately don’t have the space to set up a proper quarantine. I have one in storage but setting it up is a nuisance when the only available space to put it is on your kitchen floor or your nightstand lol

What I really need is a battlecoral for fish, I’d pay $50 for a royal gramma or blue chromis if it’s gone through an extensive 2+ month quarantine and treat.

My place is small, not much spare room, but if I'm planning to add any new fish, especially when planning to get new anthia or green chromis, I will set up a qt right there on my floor next to tank and deal w/ it.
I'd much rather have that hassle than the hassle that comes w/ introducing uronema or ich to my display, that's a much longer ordeal and looking at a fallow tank just kills me.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My place is small, not much spare room, but if I'm planning to add any new fish, especially when planning to get new anthia or green chromis, I will set up a qt right there on my floor next to tank and deal w/ it.
I'd much rather have that hassle than the hassle that comes w/ introducing uronema or ich to my display, that's a much longer ordeal and looking at a fallow tank just kills me.

Ya I hear you and I dealt with it for the first two months after I moved and treated all of the fish except for my last addition (the qt on the kitchen floor had worn out it’s welcome) which was a pair of Randall’s gobies from divers den. They got a good inspection, a formalin dip and went swimming. That was a month ago now and all is well to date but we shall see.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish to the rescue. Not sure when he starts sales.

I currently have 70+ QTd fish ready to go (although many are already presold.) However, I have 2 more batches currently in QT that will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

I'm working on getting my website up & running so I can list the fish for sale. I'm also trying to perfect my shipping techniques before going "live" and selling to the general public.

There will be an official announcement made here on R2R (with website info) inside my Sponsor Forum very soon. Thank you everyone for your continued patience; this has been a much larger undertaking than I had imagined and thus the reason for the delay.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 70+ QTd fish ready to go (although many are already presold.) However, I have 2 more batches currently in QT that will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

I'm working on getting my website up & running so I can list the fish for sale. I'm also trying to perfect my shipping techniques before going "live" and selling to the general public.

There will be an official announcement made here on R2R (with website info) inside my Sponsor Forum very soon. Thank you everyone for your continued patience; this has been a much larger undertaking than I had imagined and thus the reason for the delay.

If you want to practice shipping all the way up to Idaho let me know :D

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m in for beta testing if you want to practice shipping to the Georgia in the summertime!

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There will be an official announcement made here on R2R (with website info) inside my Sponsor Forum very soon.

This is great news! I am a big fan of the touch of clove oil sustainable aquatics ships there fish in. They play dead for 20 minutes but come out of it healthy as can be. I think the sedative helps with oxygen consumption and the fish just look less stressed after coming out of it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great news! I am a big fan of the touch of clove oil sustainable aquatics ships there fish in. They play dead for 20 minutes but come out of it healthy as can be. I think the sedative helps with oxygen consumption and the fish just look less stressed after coming out of it.

I'm currently testing this non-chemical solution to lower the fish's metabolism during transport: http://www.cryopak.com/packaging-and-refrigerants/phase-change-materials/phase-22/

It keeps the box temp @ 72F, which should also protect against the extreme heat & cold.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a great option for everyone that "doesn't have room to QT." But I feel like there should be a major disclaimer about fallow periods and carrier fish.

Edit: To be clear, I think it is a great option for everyone! Just particularly those that cannot QT for whatever reason. I am so thankful that @Humblefish decided to go ahead. I hope it works well financially for him (you).

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And folks will still need to QT their own corals/inverts. :rolleyes:

Yes exactly! Unless you want to be a zero QT one stop shop?! Sell inverts and coral as well?!!! ;Woot

One should really have an invert/coral QT just as a fish QT, not just for fish parasites and disease but coral parasites and disease as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly! Unless you want to be a zero QT one stop shop?! Sell inverts and coral as well?!!! ;Woot

One should really have an invert/coral QT just as a fish QT, not just for fish parasites and disease but coral parasites and disease as well.

Selling QTd corals/inverts will be "Phase 2" when/if we expand operations. First, I need to see that "Phase 1" (selling true quarantined fish) is financially viable. My start up costs & overhead are already a lot higher than expected. However, I'm committed to doing everything the right way regardless of cost. The health & well-being of the fish under my care will always be my top priority... doing what's best for business comes second.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling QTd corals/inverts will be "Phase 2" when/if we expand operations. First, I need to see that "Phase 1" (selling true quarantined fish) is financially viable. My start up costs & overhead are already a lot higher than expected. However, I'm committed to doing everything the right way regardless of cost. The health & well-being of the fish under my care will always be my top priority... doing what's best for business comes second.
That's great! Hopefully you can find some efficiencies in there somewhere.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How will you handle the fact that some/many tanks already contain latent ich? I can see somebody complaining that one of your fish brought ich, when it was actually already there to begin with. Will you require some kind of 'certification' from your customers? BTW, more power to you ..... this'd be a 'lie down 'till the feeling goes away' for me :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back