Diving back in...

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

Cliffsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, R2R is a great source for things reef.

Yep, I'm going back in. The wife and I reefed for 12 years, this was around 30 years ago. Needless to say, the technology, equipment, and information available today is leaps and bounds ahead of what we are experienced with, which overall is a good thing.

That said, some things are the same. It can be hard for me to make a decision now about equipment for instance, with all the choices available these days. But hey, I think that is part of the fun of the hobby.

Already got RO/DI setup running, and have the new version of the Waterbox 100.3 on order, supposed to ship June 1st, looking forward to that. Trying to educate myself and make good decisions on all the other stuff now. We'll see how things work out. I'll probably do a build thread too.
Keep it simple!! Get a good skimmer, good lights, and a big refuge!! It's all the same as back then.. the fancy stuff just requires more maintenance!! Trust me I've used all the high tech stuff, back to keeping it simple and my reef is loving it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back