Welcome!

marching pink floyd GIF

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm new to reefing and after lurking for a year thought it was finally time to join the R2R club.

My background: I grew up in Guam and the Marshall Islands. I have been in love with the ocean my entire life. While on Majuro as a teen, I kept fish that I caught in anything that would hold water. Clear file boxes, 5 gallon buckets, Rubbermaid tubs, if they were empty I filled them. With the exception of a couple BTAs, I only did FOWLR with the ocean for my water changes and an air pump to oxygenate the "tanks." The reef flat behind my house was a breeding ground, and after hatching many different species of fish would hang out there until they were big enough to survive on the reef proper. Following are just some of the fish I caught and kept: gobies, blennies, damsels, tangs, clowns, frogfish, scorpionfish, lionfish, stonefish, eels. My largest snowflake moray would eat baby convict tangs from my hand. When I wanted to keep something new, I would either find a new tank or release some fish to make room. I was out on the reef almost daily, and I miss it so much! After high school, I moved to the states and got a BS in biology, but I was not able to find a job in the field without years of experience, so I've been working in the corporate world for the last 5 years, hoping management experience will boost my resumé.

After 10 years away from the ocean, I am finally in a position to bring a small piece of it into my home again. I have a 47g rimless Eheim tank from Petsmart and will be using a 20L as a sump. The tank is 39" long, so I have 3 AI Prime 16 HDs that I am mounting on a 36" HMS rail and hanging from the ceiling. For the other hardware I have 4 Nero 3s, fleece socks, a BRS reactor for mixed carbon and gfo, a 1" marinepure plate for extra biofiltration, 2 200W BRS titanium heaters on an Inkbird, a Syncra Silent 3.0 for the return, which will be plumbed through a 15W AU UV. I am planning on growing chaeto in the sump as well. I am currently trying to finish building my stand (the frame is made, but I'm still working on the cherry and curly maple wrap), and I plan on opening a build thread when I get a chance.

For livestock, the plan is 2 clowns and a BTA or two followed by a school of yellow tail blue damsels. The schooling damsels were one of my favorite things to watch while snorkeling. After the fish are established and I get used to keeping up with water parameters (never had to do that before), I will introduce mixed corals and likely set up a two part drip.

Thank you all for your support and advice and for sharing your experience with the community!
Welcome to Reef 2 reef! Gotta love the ocean man especially the reefs! Definitely like the BTA with some clownfish I think it’ll look nice! Let us know if we can help any, glad to have you with us!!

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm new to reefing and after lurking for a year thought it was finally time to join the R2R club.

My background: I grew up in Guam and the Marshall Islands. I have been in love with the ocean my entire life. While on Majuro as a teen, I kept fish that I caught in anything that would hold water. Clear file boxes, 5 gallon buckets, Rubbermaid tubs, if they were empty I filled them. With the exception of a couple BTAs, I only did FOWLR with the ocean for my water changes and an air pump to oxygenate the "tanks." The reef flat behind my house was a breeding ground, and after hatching many different species of fish would hang out there until they were big enough to survive on the reef proper. Following are just some of the fish I caught and kept: gobies, blennies, damsels, tangs, clowns, frogfish, scorpionfish, lionfish, stonefish, eels. My largest snowflake moray would eat baby convict tangs from my hand. When I wanted to keep something new, I would either find a new tank or release some fish to make room. I was out on the reef almost daily, and I miss it so much! After high school, I moved to the states and got a BS in biology, but I was not able to find a job in the field without years of experience, so I've been working in the corporate world for the last 5 years, hoping management experience will boost my resumé.

After 10 years away from the ocean, I am finally in a position to bring a small piece of it into my home again. I have a 47g rimless Eheim tank from Petsmart and will be using a 20L as a sump. The tank is 39" long, so I have 3 AI Prime 16 HDs that I am mounting on a 36" HMS rail and hanging from the ceiling. For the other hardware I have 4 Nero 3s, fleece socks, a BRS reactor for mixed carbon and gfo, a 1" marinepure plate for extra biofiltration, 2 200W BRS titanium heaters on an Inkbird, a Syncra Silent 3.0 for the return, which will be plumbed through a 15W AU UV. I am planning on growing chaeto in the sump as well. I am currently trying to finish building my stand (the frame is made, but I'm still working on the cherry and curly maple wrap), and I plan on opening a build thread when I get a chance.

For livestock, the plan is 2 clowns and a BTA or two followed by a school of yellow tail blue damsels. The schooling damsels were one of my favorite things to watch while snorkeling. After the fish are established and I get used to keeping up with water parameters (never had to do that before), I will introduce mixed corals and likely set up a two part drip.

Thank you all for your support and advice and for sharing your experience with the community!
Welcome to in my opinion on of the best hobbies in the world! This hobby is an opportunity to recreate a piece of the ocean in the comfort of your home! Reef2Reef is a great place to be to learn all about the hobby, and can find some valuable resources!

If you are looking for maybe something to watch on your free time and get a better for feel for reef keeping come check out my channel on YouTube! Could be some helpful tips! Hope to chat soon, cheers!

IMG_1502.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back