TSA Bill Murray
WWC Forgemaster
WWC Ding Dang Milli
WWC Pink Panther
Snipers Bubblegum Milli
MattV Rainbow Envy
MattV Psycho Asylum

I dont see Purple Monster on that list.
I've read it three times now thinking I had just missed it.
Apparently you forgot to put it on there?

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see Purple Monster on that list.
I've read it three times now thinking I had just missed it.
Apparently you forgot to put it on there?

Ha, you read that right. Hear me out...it's solid purple, just purple, and takes a long time to grow. ;Yawn I know it's rare but... Anything I'm actually removing corals to add at this point needs to look special. I've already got Copps Purple Slimer stag which is a nice light purple, BC Secale which is deep purple with crazy neon green polyps and RR "The Vinh" which is a glowing white/green with purple tips and polyps. I think I'm purpled out. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
254.jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New acquisition tease list...

RR Angry Birds
RR Firecracker
RR Red Bull
RR Event Horizon Milli
TCK Inferno
TSA Bill Murray
WWC Forgemaster
WWC Ding Dang Milli
WWC Pink Panther
Snipers Bubblegum Milli
MattV Rainbow Envy
MattV Psycho Asylum

Wow, great list!! Going to need a bigger tank. :D

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, you read that right. Hear me out...it's solid purple, just purple, and takes a long time to grow. ;Yawn I know it's rare but... Anything I'm actually removing corals to add at this point needs to look special. I've already got Copps Purple Slimer stag which is a nice light purple, BC Secale which is deep purple with crazy neon green polyps and RR "The Vinh" which is a glowing white/green with purple tips and polyps. I think I'm purpled out. :rolleyes:

I_dont_believe_you-957576.gif

I'm calling shenanigans,
You just dont want everyone to see you growing the PM like a pesty weed...

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you like some reef tank to go with that coralline algae? :eek:;Hilarious

No kidding. I laugh when I read threads where people are wondering when coraline algae will grow! :p I have layers of it. I actually went through and removed a bunch off the bottom (bowls of it) recently and need to take some new pictures. It was layered up and collecting detritus under it.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's that doing for you???

JF Beach Bum is doing great, I should probably take a new picture of it. It's almost filled out the 3" disc I have it on. It might be time for some trimming...

I see people post that it's a high light monti, but in my tank it does best on the bottom in the shade. That said, I am getting 250-350 PAR on the bottom... :cool:

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you keep your dKh at again?
Are your clowns spawning in the corner?

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you keep your dKh at again?
Are your clowns spawning in the corner?

I shoot for around 7.5.

Yeah, our clowns spawn every month or so. I added a tile in the corner to see if they’d use it. So far they just lay eggs next to it... :rolleyes: If they start using the tile we might try to raise a batch. The kids would love it!

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Rod's Onyx Percs and a pair of Picasso's that spawned for many years. It took ALOT of effort to get the tile positioned right so they would spawn on it. The female would take the tile and throw it away as I had to prop it against the rock the H.magnifica anemone was on. Might look at getting 6 or 8 inch long tile and propping that against the wall where they usually spawn, as well as keeping the little one on the corner. HD and Lowes carry 4x8 inch tiles as samples. Rough/bottom side out. Neither of my pairs would lay eggs on the smooth/top side.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of Rod's Onyx Percs and a pair of Picasso's that spawned for many years. It took ALOT of effort to get the tile positioned right so they would spawn on it. The female would take the tile and throw it away as I had to prop it against the rock the H.magnifica anemone was on. Might look at getting 6 or 8 inch long tile and propping that against the wall where they usually spawn, as well as keeping the little one on the corner. HD and Lowes carry 4x8 inch tiles as samples. Rough/bottom side out. Neither of my pairs would lay eggs on the smooth/top side.

We're using a 4"x4" tile so decent sized and the clowns can't move it. I think part of the problem is that it's white as opposed to the normally pink algae bottom. It's coloring up quick though and I hope once it does they'll use it.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue with my chemistry this week that's really annoying me. I finished out my one gallon jug of BRS HC GFO and started a new one with my reactor change out this week. I've been using 8 Tbsp changed out once a month on our 89g est. system. I've been using it this way since the beginning and never noticed an issue.

This week when I replaced it, I noticed Alk dropped significantly. Luckily I noticed it with my Alkatronic and verified with my Hanna (from 7.5 to 6.88 in 6 hours). I also tested my Phosphate and it had dropped from approx. 0.03 to 0.003. So I think I might have a "new" GFO issue?

I turned off my reactor and tested for a couple days to see where it would go. After 24 hours I was back up to 0.03 and after 48 I was to around 0.06. So today, I turned the reactor back on with only 4 Tbsp of GFO and I'll see what happens. I may have to just wean my system off GFO completely...

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue with my chemistry this week that's really annoying me. I finished out my one gallon jug of BRS HC GFO and started a new one with my reactor change out this week. I've been using 8 Tbsp changed out once a month on our 89g est. system. I've been using it this way since the beginning and never noticed an issue.

This week when I replaced it, I noticed Alk dropped significantly. Luckily I noticed it with my Alkatronic and verified with my Hanna (from 7.5 to 6.88 in 6 hours). I also tested my Phosphate and it had dropped from approx. 0.03 to 0.003. So I think I might have a "new" GFO issue?

I turned off my reactor and tested for a couple days to see where it would go. After 24 hours I was back up to 0.03 and after 48 I was to around 0.06. So today, I turned the reactor back on with only 4 Tbsp of GFO and I'll see what happens. I may have to just wean my system off GFO completely...

Do you notice a difference in your corals when your PO4 elevates?

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice a difference in your corals when your PO4 elevates?

It's hard to say because it was only one day. I could try for a couple weeks but the last thing I want to do is cause my acros to start crashing. I think at this point I'm going to gradually reduce the GFO and see what happens. Going cold turkey seems to be too much. Another thing I may do is let the GFO go beyond one month and just keep testing to see what happens to my Phosphate. If it doesn't get too high, I may just turn it off at that point. I'm too nervous to let it get above 0.1, so as long as it stays below there I'll probably go no GFO.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back