OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your fastest growing acro that you have right now?
That’s a really tough question! Right now my CB Maleficent is on a tear. I would say my top growers are:

BC Aquatic-Man Table
PC Superman Table
RRU “The Vinh”
DTW Day Gecko

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really tough question! Right now my CB Maleficent is on a tear. I would say my top growers are:

BC Aquatic-Man Table
PC Superman Table
RRU “The Vinh”
DTW Day Gecko
Any growth progression shots? (Love to see how much growth people get on their coral :))

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any growth progression shots? (Love to see how much growth people get on their coral :))
Sure, I don't take pics as often as I should. Here's some of PC Superman:

01/2019.

21.JPG

06/2019

53.JPG

08/2019

70.JPG

03/2020

103.JPG

04/2020

138.JPG

05/2020

181.JPG

08/2020

301.JPG

10/2020

346.JPG

12/2020

399.JPG

04/2021

492.JPG

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible!

I also love how you actually mount them to the rock work. :)
Good point on the mounting position. I am going to mount diagonally more often.

Jealous that the Maleficient is on such a tear. I lost my second piece of it, while the WD and HW next to it are doing fine. Weird.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible!

I also love how you actually mount them to the rock work. :)
Thanks, I find some sort of angle generally grows better than a flat surface. But you need to think ahead about a few things that I often don't...

How close are you mounting it to the side of the aquarium? The coral will not stop growing and will eventually be touching the glass and blocking your algae scraper.

Where are you mounting it in relation to other corals? Will it eventually shade or be shaded by other corals?

Here's an example: I mounted my RMF Acid Trip milli below my PC Superman and OG Sapphire Milli. It grew wonderfully and looked awesome until my Sapphire got to the size that it was blocking all the light. The Acid Trip started to look worse and worse with the lack of light until it finally started to STN from the base. It started slow, then sped up to the point I thought I was going to lose the whole colony. Luckily with some fast work I managed to save about 1/4-1/3 of the colony and I'm trying to figure out a higher light position to put it in. I know it was lighting because every frag I make and put on the frag rack does awesome.

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point on the mounting position. I am going to mount diagonally more often.

Jealous that the Maleficient is on such a tear. I lost my second piece of it, while the WD and HW next to it are doing fine. Weird.
Every tank is different and a coral that does great in some tanks might not do great in mine (or yours). My nemesis seems to be Peng's HOTO. I've tried it twice now and failed both times. That frag I just posted a picture of about a week ago, toast... Why do most acros grow like weeds, then one in particular hates your tank. I wish I knew!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different and a coral that does great in some tanks might not do great in mine (or yours). My nemesis seems to be Peng's HOTO. I've tried it twice now and failed both times. That frag I just posted a picture of about a week ago, toast... Why do most acros grow like weeds, then one in particular hates your tank. I wish I knew!
Event Horizon Milli is another one I've lost twice with no explanation. We all have "stuff" that happens causing parameters to move around a little (temp, salinity, nutrients, ALK...) that you could suspect as a stressor. But when things have been smooth for months and a piece goes white overnight...
200.gif

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we place a coral and we wonder if it's the right spot and maybe just needs more time to acclimate to the tank, or is it the wrong spot? I've had a Vivid's Confetti for a while now that has looked ok, encrusted some, but never really done much. I mounted it under my OG Oregon Tort and it's always been shaded. I finally made some changes about a month ago and moved my RRU Fireworks to a new higher PAR spot and moved my Vivid's Confetti to the old RRU Fireworks spot. It appears it liked the move!

Here's from about a month ago right after moving. It looked a bit rough, but color wise you can see what it looked like pre-move:

508.JPG

Here's a pic I took yesterday. The color is almost unreal, incredible transformation.

509.JPG

OP
OP
DivingTheWorld

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of my newer acros that I'm super excited about. In daylight it has this neon yellow color. In blue light (which I am terrible at capturing) it has a green neon glow that is on par or better than my BKChem Fruitloops. You can see it across the room.

SBB Yellow Jacket

513.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back