Reefaddict585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty new to the reefing scene, started about a year ago with a 55g and quickly realized, that tank size wasn’t gonna cut it. Had a lot of success with it but just to small over all. So I started saving and a year later I found a good deal on a used 180g and a BUNCH of gear, took it home, leak tested it and now I’m finishing up the stand. Took about 4-5 hours and 100$ in lumber. Really impressed with my work considering I’ve never been the handy man type. If anybody is interested in dimensions or specifics of everything just let me know. I know when I started To research this it can be a gray area on details. (Also please ignore my dirty garage). And if someone has any good advice for plumbing this beast I’m all ears, first time doing something like this.

E628BB3F-BB9B-4319-B713-0551D3F79590.jpeg

39368F2D-03FA-4DBD-832E-D37D73859BBB.jpeg
96A58DF5-C30E-45DD-A6D1-25FC854F358A.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks well made and along the lines of what is considered best design by most reefers. Consider a floor inside and a thick plywood top. Do you have plans to waterproof and/or painting the stand. I lined the inside of my stand with sheet PVC that I could glue together so it was VERY water proof. I even did a bulkhead near the bottom and ran a hose from the stand to an exterior wall. Then drilled a hole and ran a hose outside.

I lined the first build with flexible PVC shower pan liner. It was a bit sloppy, but it worked perfectly. I didn't even know sheet PVC was a thing back then!
P5090009.JPG

Now I build a PVC 'box' for the sump so spills, splashes and leaks don't even get to touch the wood of the stand.
20180723_084247.jpg
Attach files

This box worked so well I've used it again with my newest build. The cutout at the left is for the optical sensor of my ATO.
20191226_120437.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefaddict585

Reefaddict585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you so much I didn’t even think of doing this, lining it with something like that could completely prevent a leak from destroying the house or the stand. Definitely see where I can implement this before everything is put together.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a leak before I started doing this. Live and learn. And my house is on a cement slab, no basement and has all tile floors (typical SW Florida home). So I didn't do damage to carpet, wood flooring under the carpet or a finished basement. But water went under the wall into the bathroom behind the wall and got wicked up into the cabinets and destroyed them. This is just cheap, easy insurance in my way of thinking.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back