Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great project. Great job man, and thanks for the instructions.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
fragmatic

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MC 03 M Dosing Pump Peristaltic Pump for Aquarium Lab | eBay I have this one. Been running since Christmas. So far so good, just takes a while to get it, US customs,. Good seller also. Hes quick to answer questions.

That is VERY close to the DIY cost.
That is a great deal. A person could buy one of these and then add another later if desired. Plus there must be an expansion unit available that plugs into the back. It says it can accept up to 6 stations of expansion.
And with Asmlx having one we can ask questions.

I have one question to start it off. Was it easy to program, and do you have to reprogram after a power outage?

Last edited:

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
fragmatic

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple of pictures of the DIY 5 station dose unit up and running perfect. For a tank will location I took a piece of acrylic and punched holes in it with my soldering iron. The resultant taper is perfect for the check valves that came with the dose pumps to press into. So I super glue jelled those in and connected the tubing. The duck tape you see on the power supply is a quick fix to hold a loop in the power cord plugged into the bottom of the power supply so it doesn't become unplugged. I have lots of little hands around my tanks. Although I have two neo-nib magnets holding the enclosure closed one set of young hands opened it and almost adjusted my timers for me, so it now has duck tape "safety straps".

It is installed on the back of the main display tank behind the built in over flow box. I have my dose products filling into the overflow box itself. This gives me a good mix every time. I have spread the dose times through out the 24 hour period.

For dose bottles I purchased 5 bottles of water and made a batch of tea with the contents. The bottles are labeled and lined up in the bottom of the stand. The pumps had no problem drawing the product up the tubes.

A question for those who dose with pumps: Do you put an air hose in the bottles and have a very slow bubble "drip" to keep the contents mixed? Most product bottles say "shake before using".

business end.jpg

installed.jpg

Last edited:

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious.. what all are you dosing? I think the most I could max out is a 4 pump unit. 1 for cal, alk, mag, and vodka...

OP
OP
fragmatic

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently as I experiment, I dose cal, alk, iodine, trace elements, and Brightwell's Liquid Reef. However, in the next week or two I plan an extensive look at all Brightwell's products to do a re-think. It is not popular, I know, but I am tinkering with extending time between water changes to ever longer time intervals as I learn what does and does not work. Harvesting algae and replacing trace elements will surly be key disciplines if I am successful. My main reason for 5 stations, now as I built, is not knowing exactly what besides alk and cal I will be dosing. This is the reasoning for having a sump and two refugiums, and I don't know exactly where those will lead me either in this process. I am trying to select life forms which will provide me with indicators as I play this game. I have a heck of a lot to figure out and work through. I am even still struggling with just how to intelligently document my progress with so many open ended variables all effecting the results. Trying to manipulate one variable at a time and track an effect is mind numbing. But I'm working that direction, one tiny step at a time, hoping to gain focus as I progress. My progress so far in humbling, but am comfortable with 20% once a month & maybe 6 weeks, and gaining. Right now I'm not trying to grow coral or colors but am keeping them really healthy.

If a few of us would take on this adventure the exchanged information would reap wonderful befits down the road for reef keeping. .... I think?

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a few of us would take on this adventure the exchanged information would reap wonderful befits down the road for reef keeping. .... I think?
Frag, I'm willing to jump in and take on the project as I am currently needing to figure out my reef elements consumption.... Dosing with my home made dripper is quite tedious and I've been investigating DIY dosing options... this project is sooo right up my alley.... My soldering skills are suspect... but I have the equipment and the DIY background to get it accomplished. If you don't mind me buggin you from time to time, I may need a quick answer to a question... if you would be kind enough to give me a ring and we can discuss the project... I'll PM you my phone number (Let me know and I'll send it over) I would probably want to do the 5 pump, like you to have the expandability, however ATM, I only need to do CA and ALK. I use some trace element supplements for corals, but I'm not sure of dosing regimen, which I would be willing to explore further, either in this thread, or in separate threads. I am quite impressed with your instructions...I feel like, if I had all the parts right now, I could have it done in an evening or two within minimal speed bumps... Let me know what you think? I am Amped!!

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a random, unsuspecting 12 v adapter... 2.5 amp... Will this work?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361481808227.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361481808227.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 327

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a "Project box" I found the metal box for my propane torch, but it is too small and oddly shaped...... other than that, I have tons of plastic storage containers of various size and shape, but I want it to look trick, like yours... I want room for the DC converter inside too... I'm thinking some sort of electrical panel box... scouring craiglist as ATM... lol :tongue:

OP
OP
fragmatic

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a random, unsuspecting 12 v adapter... 2.5 amp... Will this work?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I'm game. Yes that power supply will do. It would be best if you plan to not to let more than two pumps dose at the same time. . .. that is half the point of dosing with pumps, dosing at different times.

It takes a over week or so to get the pumps from China, so that is your first step while you dig for an enclosure. You can buy a key box like I used, but I have to admit it is a bit cramped. I'd dig for something a little larger while you can. I'll send you the dimensions of my box soon, I'm short on time at this moment ans must run.

Last edited:

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is VERY close to the DIY cost.
That is a great deal. A person could buy one of these and then add another later if desired. Plus there must be an expansion unit available that plugs into the back. It says it can accept up to 6 stations of expansion.
And with Asmlx having one we can ask questions.

I have one question to start it off. Was it easy to program, and do you have to reprogram after a power outage?
very easy to program, no it hasnt lost its memory.

lofty78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..... I hate to be flaky but I think I'm gonna order one of those pumps from China... Sorry frag... Time is money... Lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Back