DIY Acrylic Tank Pics

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend Austin (stunreefer) needed his sump cut down to fit under his new AGE rimless monster tank, so we busted out the router, and just kept going.

one done, and the other almost done.

The first two are of Austin's new modified sump, cut down, holes drilled, and other holes patched. All with weld-on 4.

The second set of pics of an old 180 i bought, that had the two small holes in the top.

We cut it down from 24 to 16 inches tall, routed off the edges of the top, flipped it over, and mounted on the tank. Then we cut out the small holes into a euro brace of sorts. We will be adding a middle support brace later this week. The front actually has the bigger lip, and we are going to mount egg crate into the small holes, so i have a place to put my plugs while fragging corals.

New overflow box installed with 2 - 2" drains, and we will be sanding it all down, and refinishing the surface later this week. Fresh water test to follow.

The dimensions are now 72 x 24 x 16

austinsump1.jpg

austinsump2.jpg

JRFragTank5.jpg

JRFragTank2.jpg

JRFragTank4.jpg

JRFragTank.jpg

JRFragTank3.jpg

Heres what my entire garage is covered in.

TheFloor.jpg

And the scraps front cutting them both down.

TheScraps.jpg

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you accomplished quite a lot. Does acrylic require a special bit on a router?

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a comfort level working with acrylic. I have a 90g tank that's about 9 years old. About to move to finance's house...gotta empty to move, thought it would be a good time to sand out all the scratches on the inside of the tank. From what I have seen on YouTube, it looks like if I wet sand with 1,000 grit and then 2,000 grit with palm sander. Video suggest getting acrylic polish and buffer tip from automotive store and buff the **** out of it. Does this sound about right....anything else I should know?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back