DIY Algae Reactor

crobs808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own algae reactor and posted the materials needed and build steps here. It is under $100 total (or about $115 with starter chaeto).

LINK: http://reefgiants.com/diy-algae-reactor/

Benefits:
  • Reduction of harmful Nitrates and Phosphates
  • Consumption of excess CO2
  • Acts as a copepod incubator
  • Helps balance pH swings
  • Emulates biological filtration found in nature
  • Can provide many of the same benefits as refugiums for smaller tanks.
I would love feedback as well on what could make it better too and the objective is to helps others who want to make their own. It was fun and easy! Enjoy.

AlgaeReactor-TempSetup.jpg

Last edited:

jnava19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this, (and many other DIY posts here as well) and built mine like this and I have to say it has been a nice success, it has been running for 6 weeks and so far doing great, cheato was not growing a lot at the beginning, but it was able to help lowering nitrates from 60 to 15. The lights I got don't heat a lot, but, I did not completely attached them to the plastic just put some plastic straps to keep it in place.

OP
OP
crobs808

crobs808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why heat shrink wrap instead of the waterproof Gorilla tape I used? I haven't had any problems with the tape, so you got me curious :)

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why heat shrink wrap instead of the waterproof Gorilla tape I used? I haven't had any problems with the tape, so you got me curious :)

Equipment never lasts, at some point it will need maintenance or repair. Tape will degrade faster then de rubber heat shrink. Also the glue in the tape will create a mess when you try and take it off. That's why you will never see a lighting manufacturer use tape, internally or externally. It's cheap as chips, and no seams so better water proofing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back