DIY algae reactor warning

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like someone else had the same problem with these same LED strips. There seem to be tons of other amazon reviews about these LEDs getting very hot.
upload_2018-2-6_23-6-44.png

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like someone else had the same problem with these same LED strips. There seem to be tons of other amazon reviews about these LEDs getting very hot.
upload_2018-2-6_23-6-44.png
That picture is also a prime example of too much LED on the reactor. You CAN do that if you have a dimmer switch like the Glime.

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. I ordered the Glime LED waterproof strip light. It comes with a dimmer.
I don't know about those lights either. Found this under the product description."3.The plant grow light strip will generate heat in the using process , the temperature is about 60 ℃.
it is recommended that do not use more than 11 hours a day "
That seems like too much heat to me.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about those lights either. Found this under the product description."3.The plant grow light strip will generate heat in the using process , the temperature is about 60 ℃.
it is recommended that do not use more than 11 hours a day "
That seems like too much heat to me.
I think thats rated for the entire roll of LEDs without water cooling. Notice it doesn't specify either full brightness or dimmed. Which it has 3 levels of dimming. Again, using the leds properly and you along with the other 5,000+ people running DIY chaeto reactors can enjoy it.

Correction: 8 levels of brightness.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot depends on how much lighting was wrapped around the reactor as the reactors have active cooling from the water flow. Should have at least 2 inch spacing between each strip(or curl). Then again it could be the quality of the light strip itself, as well.
After watching Travis's (FishOfHex) new video, I'm thinking that the OP's reactor was just too thin. He's got two different full length strip lights on his reactor with no issues with the reactor nor growth. Plus I think someone above mentioned that they had the same reactor and cut the length of the light and still had it cracked. Travis's video also leads me to think that too much light is not my problem with my chaeto not growing but I'll start a new thread on that as I don't want to hijack this one.
Here's a link to his video

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching Travis's (FishOfHex) new video, I'm thinking that the OP's reactor was just too thin. He's got two different full length strip lights on his reactor with no issues with the reactor nor growth. Plus I think someone above mentioned that they had the same reactor and cut the length of the light and still had it cracked. Travis's video also leads me to think that too much light is not my problem with my chaeto not growing but I'll start a new thread on that as I don't want to hijack this one.
Here's a link to his video

Yeah saw that video earlier. Must be an issue with the two little fishies. Fwiw I have the aquamaxx reactor.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah saw that video earlier. Must be an issue with the two little fishies. Fwiw I have the aquamaxx reactor.
I have a TLF reactor also but mine is the 550 so its thicker. I been running full length lights (I wanna say 16ft) for about 3mos with no signs of issues on the reactor YET. Just growth issues lol

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a TLF reactor also but mine is the 550 so its thicker. I been running full length lights (I wanna say 16ft) for about 3mos with no signs of issues on the reactor YET. Just growth issues lol
Are you having trouble growing chaeto in general or just in the reactor?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having trouble growing chaeto in general or just in the reactor?
We'll just a reactor because I've never tried growing it any other way. The purpose of the reactor was because I did not have space in my Sump nor do I have a refugium

avery155

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put these led lights on the back of my jbj45 I have 6 strips running parallel the height of the tank for the second chamber. I'm hoping that's not too much light after reading the comments about the one reactor having too much lighting.

I will say though, these lights do get toasty I was shocked actually. I used strip leds for my in cabinet lighting and they stay nice and cool but I don't think they are the 5050 type.

anomeda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about something like this? Maybe that could help with the heat issue scare some people have.

A wood box, paint it white and coat with something heat safe. Attach the led to the walls, a fan close to the bottom that sucks in air so the heat can exit the topp of the box.

Just an idea.
reactor.png

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about something like this? Maybe that could help with the heat issue scare some people have.

A wood box, paint it white and coat with something heat safe. Attach the led to the walls, a fan close to the bottom that sucks in air so the heat can exit the topp of the box.

Just an idea.
reactor.png
That's the same thing I was talking about but just with pvc pipe instead

anomeda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad, did not see your post about that. A big diameter pipe around will be an easier solution for sure. I think that will be my solution if i go with an reactor in the future.

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think led produced that much heat

If it's touching the plastic, and it's not coated/insulated, and it's not submerged, then yes.

Water fall reactor

Waterfall scrubber?

active cooling from the water flow

Problem is the water is not touching the lights. True submerged lights can be very powerful and stay totally cool.

There seem to be tons of other amazon reviews about these LEDs getting very hot

All power LEDs get hot. That's not the issue. The issue is that they are touching plastic, and/or, they are not cooled via either heat sinks or water.

I just swapped to two sets of the Accel Aquatics Warm-white strips and they stay extremely cool

Red is best. White need 2 or 3 times the wattage to get the same growth.

jjmccloud2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7e407a5829a015fe302203f505580c11.jpg

I had this TLF 150 for an algae reactor. It was probably installed for about three months. I wrapped the led strip around the reactor itself. Big dumb mistake. The heat from the lights caused stress fractures and it leaked. I don't know how much leaked but it sure caused a mess.
Its a pretty thin cheap reactor u need to use something thicker or less light, the aquamax has been the best for these diy versions in their price range. Don't think I've heard of any doing this like I have these thinner reactors

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back