DIY Alkalinity Monitor

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done with this build. Pictures and my own write up to follow. Hopefully then others can benefit as I have. Big Thanks to Borat!!
Well done and congratulations can't wait to see . From your video i can tell you have done a very good job

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am having an issue and i can't figure it out , I have connected the device today to my tank and started to use DKH readings is always 0.0

so troubleshooting i did.
I tested the Acid and it is working and dropping PH and KH when testing using redsea tests and ADWA PH Pen. so Acid is good

I tested PH pin / Board and dropped the Pen inside my tank and reading was 8.2 , this is my tank PH using Adwa PH meter, so PH board and pen are good

what could possibly be the problem ? . noting that before attaching the ALKMON to my tank i was testing it using a tank water and i got readings but not accurate since i was not having Magnet stir bar till today

can you help me out please and point me where to look @Borat sorry for causing so much headache

20230531_212413.jpg 20230531_212415.jpg 20230601_083958.jpg 20230601_084050.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am having an issue and i can't figure it out , I have connected the device today to my tank and started to use DKH readings is always 0.0

so troubleshooting i did.
I tested the Acid and it is working and dropping PH and KH when testing using redsea tests and ADWA PH Pen. so Acid is good

I tested PH pin / Board and dropped the Pen inside my tank and reading was 8.2 , this is my tank PH using Adwa PH meter, so PH board and pen are good

what could possibly be the problem ? . noting that before attaching the ALKMON to my tank i was testing it using a tank water and i got readings but not accurate since i was not having Magnet stir bar till today

can you help me out please and point me where to look @Borat sorry for causing so much headache

20230531_212413.jpg 20230531_212415.jpg 20230601_083958.jpg 20230601_084050.jpg
The monitor should display progress, if it took time to work and added a certain amount of acid in the process (roughly 3ml for 0.1N or more if using weaker acid), then DKH cannot be 0.

The only thing I can think of is that parameters that you read from EEPROM for PH calibration may be messed up.. can you check those?

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh another little thing.. In order to prevent the monitor from erroneously using all acid (let's say you PH probe becomes irresponsive), I added a limit of how much acid can be added to the titration chamber - before the monitor gives up and displays 0DKH.

That limit was 5ml for 0.1N acid in my version, which basically says that even if everything is OK a DKH of >12 would not be measured (OK by me - as I would never venture in that territory). If you are using a weaker acid - you need to increase that parameter by a large margin, set it to 1.5x the amount of acid typically used in the test and you should be OK.

if(total_acid_added>MAX_ACID_VOLUME_PER_TEST)
{
continue_test = false;
dkh = 0.0;
}

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i thought that this may be the issue but am using 0.1N HCL, i will give it a try anyways .. thank for your continuous help . i test and report back

Attachments

• 20230601_102338.jpg
    20230601_102338.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 24

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is what i get before updating the MaxAcidVol.

Noting that i have increased the stir timing a little bit.

Added acid 5ml , DKH result 14 while using redsea it is 7.5 or 8 max

How to check parameters that's been red from EEPROM for PH calibration

Screenshot_20230601-103204_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230601-103233_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230601-103243_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230601-103328_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230601-103410_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230601-103451_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230601-103524_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230601-103603_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i will try something and hope it will fix the issue . i have a feeling that it is a calibration issue . so i will erase the EEPROM saved calibrated data using this code , then upload DFRobot sample code and recalibrate using solution 4 and 7 then re upload KH mon code and test ..

/*
This code will reset the corresponding EEPROM used by DFRobot Gravity pH Meter V2, SKU: SEN0161-V2.
When uploaded this code, please open the serial monitor of the Ardino IDE. The correct value of the EEPROM block should be 255.
*/
#include <EEPROM.h>
#define PHADDR 0x00
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(115200);
for(int i = 0;i < 8; i++ )
{
EEPROM.write(PHADDR+i, 0xFF);// write defaullt value to the EEPROM
delay(10);
}
}
void loop()
{
static int a = 0, value = 0;
value = EEPROM.read(PHADDR+a);
Serial.print(PHADDR+a,HEX);
Serial.print(":");
Serial.print(value);// print the new value of EEPROM block used by EC meter. The correct is 255.
Serial.println();
delay(10);
a = a + 1;
if (a == 8)
while(1);
}

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I confirm that i had a problem in calibration as there was a conflict in between 9ld stored cal8bration data and new multiple ones . I erased tbe EEPROM PHADDR . And cal8brated it again . Will upload KH code and test .
. Will feedback you shortly

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH now calibrated correctly and reading accurately however when initiating new the sample water overflows and flooded my floor , stupid move from me not recalibrate the pumps after erasing EEPROM . the good news that no damage occurs to any of my electronic components. so now recalibrating all pumps ...
that's normal result when working without sleeping for two days

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly it didn't work DKH reading 0.0 and PH 8.14 This value came from this variable "Serial.print(ph);, i

I also noticed that i've lost a relay so I installed a new one -

a question occurred to me , Am i wiring the relay correctly , am using it in the NC port

Last edited:
OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly it didn't work DKH reading 0.0 and PH 8.14 This value came from this variable "Serial.print(ph);, i

I also noticed that i've lost a relay so I installed a new one -

a question occurred to me , Am i wiring the relay correctly , am using it in the NC port
NC stands for "normally closed". Either NC or NO can be used (does not matter), all they differ is that when there is no voltage applied one would be "normally open" and another "normally closed".

The only small thing is that you may need to swap LOW signal with HIGH signal in the code (i.e. when you switch it on, you may need to send LOW signal), if you connect it wrong way around..

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NC stands for "normally closed". Either NC or NO can be used (does not matter), all they differ is that when there is no voltage applied one would be "normally open" and another "normally closed".

The only small thing is that you may need to swap LOW signal with HIGH signal in the code (i.e. when you switch it on, you may need to send LOW signal), if you connect it wrong way around..
Yes i know all this but am wondering if my wires are switched . the stir function will be reversed and will not be doing what it is supposed to do . For example stir(6,3,2)
Will be swapped if my wires are not connected the same way like yours

. I will try to do it from the start and see what went wrong from myside . Am too tired today and will get some sleep to think straight .

If you can hint me with one wildcard that might solve the issue i will appreciate it

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't sleep. I noticed that Initial_ph-test_ph both reading 8.06
So the warning msg regarding acid priming because the result is 0 however when i printed this result it displayed on Serial Mon -0.00 so i will bracket the statement and see any ways its not decreasing PH value after dropping acid . The same as well while testing DKH PH not fecreasing thats why it gave me 0.0 dkh because the condition related to AcidVol .

So why ph value is not decreasing when acid added to it , is it calibration issue or stirrer issue however stirrer spins after adding acid

16856506573164239763344276563053.jpg

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't sleep. I noticed that Initial_ph-test_ph both reading 8.06
So the warning msg regarding acid priming because the result is 0 however when i printed this result it displayed on Serial Mon -0.00 so i will bracket the statement and see any ways its not decreasing PH value after dropping acid . The same as well while testing DKH PH not fecreasing thats why it gave me 0.0 dkh because the condition related to AcidVol .

So why ph value is not decreasing when acid added to it , is it calibration issue or stirrer issue however stirrer spins after adding acid

16856506573164239763344276563053.jpg
Maybe faulty/cheap PH probe? What one are you using?

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done everything from the beginning, uploaded stock code , calibrated using DF robot sample code recalibrated using the KH Mon , still gives me 0.0 dkh at the end of the test . The test progress shows the PH value dropping very slowly for example
Step1
PH 8.2
Acid 1
DKH i think 5 i don't remember

Then step 2
PH 8.12
Acid 2
DKH (value)

Till reaching Acid 5 and dkh almost 14 !!

Am super frustrated and donno what could damage the PH probe or the whole PH module (Pen & board) however they are reading numbers correctly but out of the test function

am 100 % positive that stirrer wired correctly. But may be the fact that it doesn't do vortex is the reason and PH module is fine .. to many variables to handle but will start with the easier / cheaper one .. (replacing the fan and magnets and magnet bar (but this can be neglected if you my friend @Borat confirmed to me that your original design doesn't do vortex.

Next option is to replace the ph module this will cost some money unfortunately. Here in Egypt these stuff are not cheap at all .

I almost replaced all components except for PH module

Last edited:

cliffE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done everything from the beginning, uploaded stock code , calibrated using DF robot sample code recalibrated using the KH Mon , still gives me 0.0 dkh at the end of the test . The test progress shows the PH value dropping very slowly for example
Step1
PH 8.2
Acid 1

Then step 2
PH 8.12
Acid 2
DKH (value)

Am super frustrated and donno what could damage the PH probe or the whole PH module (Pen & board) however they are reading numbers correctly but out of the test function

am 100 % positive that stirrer wired correctly. But may be the fact that it doesn't do vortex is the reason and PH module is fine .. to many variables to handle but will start with the easier / cheaper one .. (replacing the fan and magnets and magnet bar (but this can be neglected if you my friend @Borat confirmed to me that your original design doesn't do vortex.

Next option is to replace the ph module this will cost some money unfortunately. Here in Egypt these stuff are not cheap at all .

Do you think the square shaped cylinder prevents adequate vortex and mixing? I’m no physicist but that is one thing that is different from yours and borats build.

I’m in alaska. I’m still waiting to source acid to test my build.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step1
PH 8.2
Acid 1

Then step 2
PH 8.12
Acid 2
DKH (value)

You should check your acid concentration.. at acid = 5, what kind of PH do you get (just before it gives up)?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back