DIY Ammonia dosing for low nitrate systems

Quick update on my 300 gallon system:

I originally began dosing 26ml once a day, then increased to 2 times a day, then up to 4 times a day manually but have since switched to automated dosing. Started with 60ml spread out over 24 hours, every 20 minutes. My NO3 actually increased significantly faster using this method than dosing more but less frequently/manually. In fact, it is so effective that I am now in the process of backing off the amount dosed per day to slow the increase and to discover my maintenance level. Currently I am down to 50ml of Randy’s Ammonium Bicarbonate stock solution per 24 hours which is about 0.7ml every 20 minutes. I am really liking what I’m seeing.

IMG_4947.png
 
Last edited:
I am routinely away from my tank for a month at a time. When you are away that long you really notice changes in corals.

When I got home yesterday I really noticed a couple LPS have darkened in color. A previously light lavender torch is dark brown. The reds, blues and greens in my trachy are much darker. Interestingly, my space invader pectinia frag is nearly solid green, when a month ago it had a bright orange eye.

Everything looks healthy and grew noticeably, in fact I have some stinging sweepers i need to address. Real-estate is getting tight.

There are many possible explanations for the color shifts but I suspect the ammonia might be part of it. I am sure i need a water change too. I think I am going to stop ammonia dosing for the next 4 weeks and see what happens.
 
I think I am going to stop ammonia dosing for the next 4 weeks and see what happens.

Sounds like a good plan. Any idea where nitrate stands now?
 
I am routinely away from my tank for a month at a time. When you are away that long you really notice changes in corals.

When I got home yesterday I really noticed a couple LPS have darkened in color. A previously light lavender torch is dark brown. The reds, blues and greens in my trachy are much darker. Interestingly, my space invader pectinia frag is nearly solid green, when a month ago it had a bright orange eye.

Everything looks healthy and grew noticeably, in fact I have some stinging sweepers i need to address. Real-estate is getting tight.

There are many possible explanations for the color shifts but I suspect the ammonia might be part of it. I am sure i need a water change too. I think I am going to stop ammonia dosing for the next 4 weeks and see what happens.
Why stop? Maybe just get out the clippers :D
 
I don’t care for the color shift in the corals.

That is the only negative observation I’ve made that is potentially related to ammonia., so I’ll stop and see what happens.
Did your nutrient levels change over that month? Ammonia was still being dosed while you were away?
 
Did your nutrient levels change over that month? Ammonia was still being dosed while you were away?
No change in nitrate or phosphate, both exceptionally stable and tested by my daughters while I was away. Daily Ammonia dose was constant.
 
Last edited:
I don’t care for the color shift in the corals.

That is the only negative observation I’ve made that is potentially related to ammonia., so I’ll stop and see what happens.
It’s interesting that you say this. I’ve noticed that my plate and my hammer, only those two, the purple in them has become a much lighter lavender color since dosing ammonia. They are still very healthy and happy from what I can tell. I just assumed they were acclimating to the higher light or something. Nothing else had lightened up though, just those two.
 
It’s interesting that you say this. I’ve noticed that my plate and my hammer, only those two, the purple in them has become a much lighter lavender color since dosing ammonia. They are still very healthy and happy from what I can tell. I just assumed they were acclimating to the higher light or something. Nothing else had lightened up though, just those two.
That is interesting. My corals are definitely darker. As usual, these things are going to be complex.
 
That is interesting. My corals are definitely darker. As usual, these things are going to be complex.
Yep, for sure. I do notice that anything with green in it seems to really be popping in color with the ammonia dosing.
 
That is interesting. My corals are definitely darker. As usual, these things are going to be complex.
Maybe needs more light to use that or maybe it is getting too much light that it is darkening? (I hate the fact it's crapshoot but at least it's one or the other).
 
Maybe needs more light to use that or maybe it is getting too much light that it is darkening? (I hate the fact it's crapshoot but at least it's one or the other).
Agree it’s either too much light or not enough, or maybe it’s too much N or not enough, or maybe trace elements or water flow?

Just kidding.

I’ll try to reverse the color shift by cutting out ammonia. If the colors lighten back up, that tells me something, but certainly won’t tell me everything. Maybe then I will experiment with lighting.
 
appreciate this thread.

I started adding phyto to my tank, which crashed out my Nitrates. Going to try to mix some of this when it arrives in a week and try to balance things back out.

Thanks for your ongoing wisdom here!
 
I'm currently up to 4 doses per day, 4 hours apart; 5ml, 4ml, 5ml, 4ml (in that order) in my 100g system. NO3, tested with A Salifert kit, is showing no color at all. Would it hurt anything to move a couple of the doses to nighttime when the lights are out, to allow the bacteria to fully utilize the Ammonium instead of corals consuming it? I've tried reducing chaeto lighting to only 8 hours overnight but don't want to reduce much more as I rely on that for PO4 control. Thoughts??
 
I'm currently up to 4 doses per day, 4 hours apart; 5ml, 4ml, 5ml, 4ml (in that order) in my 100g system. NO3, tested with A Salifert kit, is showing no color at all. Would it hurt anything to move a couple of the doses to nighttime when the lights are out, to allow the bacteria to fully utilize the Ammonium instead of corals consuming it? I've tried reducing chaeto lighting to only 8 hours overnight but don't want to reduce much more as I rely on that for PO4 control. Thoughts??
Do corals not use it when lights are out?
 
I’m not sure why you’d want to dose in a way that bacteria got more of it, and I’d be surprised if you could control who gets it much by timing.

If you want nitrate to rise and it is not, dose more ammonia.
 
I’m not sure why you’d want to dose in a way that bacteria got more of it, and I’d be surprised if you could control who gets it much by timing.

If you want nitrate to rise and it is not, dose more ammonia.
I'm just afraid of increasing my dosage much beyond what I am currently.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new