DIY Anemone Guards

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been bouncing 2 ideas in my head about how to protect my anemones. I've looked at closed loops with several intakes that have multiple holes drilled to reduce suction, but a closed loop just can't compete with my Jebao RW20's. Not to mention, it's expensive to build one. After you drill the tank, get a large quality pump, set it up for random flow, etc...you've spent a lot of money. I've looked at false walls and I'm not a fan. Built a few out of gutter guard and they were too flexible. I've built my own Guards out of Acrylic and also spoke to the female (yes... female) who IMO designed some of the cleanest vortech guards I've ever seen. Probably the best guards I've seen to date. I'll post pictures below. "Tektite" if you're wondering who she is. She is a heck of a reefer and she's actually on my local forum here in Houston, TX. Anyway, going off what I've learned from previous experiences and conversations with some of the best, I know there are some key factors to keep in mind if you're trying to build guards. The first thing you want to avoid is starving the pump. Secondly, you need "a lot" of very small holes so that the nem's tentacles aren't sucked in, but big enough to prevent clogging. No matter what you try to do, they will never look normal in the aquarium. They're gonna be bulky, out of place, and basically construct an eye sore. This kinda sucks. However, I'm not trying to make a fashion statement. I'm trying to protect my anemone's! At any time they could get sucked into my powerheads. If you've ever had it happen it's not cool. Not to mention...a Magnifica can wipe out your whole tank. After making the acrylic guards in the past, I've learned that covering the front is a smart move. Most people don't. I've actually had two Magnifica get sucked into the front of the powerhead even though the sides were covered. I'll post a pic of that too.

The new possible designs are simple. A lot of small holes. I wanted thin plastic to eliminate weight. Material that holds its shape and is easy to work with. Something that's fairly inexpensive. No epoxy coated wire, because it breaks down over time just like all epoxy covered magnets do. Long term they can really cause issues for a reef. Just google image search that one. I wanted bird netting (the kind that BRS sells for the DIY screen top). The bird netting is great to cover the front with or sides. My new idea is to basically start with a frame and modify it for the best fit and flow for the powerhead. Sounds simple right.? Ahh, not exactly. You have to figure out how to attach it or how to keep it on the glass. It also needs to be easy to remove for maintenance and cleaning. All this needs to look clean because the guards will be a bulky eye sore as it is. Keeping it as clean as possible is what I'm hoping for.

New ideas

This would be used to cover the powerhead and modify the shape or leave like it is, and cut extra holes for better flow. The front would need to be cut open and then wrapped with netting.

Stronger better material to work with. Way better than gutter guard. This would be used to wrap.

Previously tried

Previously tried

Tektite's design

Disaster

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas.

Also, post pics of your ideas if you have any.

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas.

Also, post pics of your ideas if you have any.

following.... great thread idea. i need to make up some kind of guard. i lost a huge purple lt that i really liked to a powerhead awhile back. i like the idea of using a larger diameter mesh. maybe 1/4" clear brs mesh? like you stated though, the problem is making a solid easily removable base.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm loosing sleep at night. Need to make something. I'll post here when I get them done.

I've lost too many good anemones to a PH. :-(

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anemones

The best and safest thing to do it go with a plumbed tank with wavebox or just your overflow.

Every pump at some point becomes a hazard.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting thread... But how many people have an issue with a nem walking into a powerhead?

I understand they like to move from time to time, but not one of mine ever ventured close to a powerhead.
The closest I have come to losing a nem was when it (the condy) decided to try and make it down the return line to my sump. I had it covered with screen that you would use on a window to keep the bugs out.... he made it half way though the screen before I found him.... I remove the screen and placed it in a plastic dish and he pulled himself out of there in a few min.

The only reason I can think of one wanting to get close to a powerhead is to get away from the flow being pushed at it. Maybe I am lucky mine do not move around like lost souls, or maybe I have the perfect flow in my tank for them... I do not know, but I would like to learn more on their behavior before childproofing my full setup.

I have had all my nems for over a year now, and they all have been the perfect children.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting thread... But how many people have an issue with a nem walking into a powerhead?

I understand they like to move from time to time, but not one of mine ever ventured close to a powerhead.
The closest I have come to losing a nem was when it (the condy) decided to try and make it down the return line to my sump. I had it covered with screen that you would use on a window to keep the bugs out.... he made it half way though the screen before I found him.... I remove the screen and placed it in a plastic dish and he pulled himself out of there in a few min.

The only reason I can think of one wanting to get close to a powerhead is to get away from the flow being pushed at it. Maybe I am lucky mine do not move around like lost souls, or maybe I have the perfect flow in my tank for them... I do not know, but I would like to learn more on their behavior before childproofing my full setup.

I have had all my nems for over a year now, and they all have been the perfect children.

I've had a lot of nem's and sell them too. Hundreds..

All it takes is one time.

If your params get off, they will uproot and move. If you have a lot of different species in one tank, I believe it's possible for Allelopathy to occur and make them move around. Lighting and flow can make them move. Salinity as well.

A lot of things can do it. I'm in this long term, and have lost some beautiful beautiful animals to a PH. I'm gonna protect mine for now on.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully understand.. I love my nems to death and they are what I cherish most in my system.
If I was foinf to build a screen to guard against the powerhead, I would have it so the holes are as small as possible.. Like I said, I had my coney climb through a screen you would have on your windows to keep the bugs out.. Nems are slimy little critters and can make it through tight spots.

That being said... you would have to fully incapsulate the powerhead, which in turn will reduce flow and water movement.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't you just use the guards from vortech?

They clog. Plus, I don't have Vortech's.

If you look at Tektite's design above, although beautiful, she told me she had clogging issues with the window screen. She had Vortech's too and the sleeve that comes with them is worthless long term.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They clog. Plus, I don't have Vortech's.

If you look at Tektite's design above, although beautiful, she told me she had clogging issues with the window screen. She had Vortech's too and the sleeve that comes with them is worthless long term.

Ok...I do not have them either...I know some people that use them, but I have no idea on the clogging...

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best and safest thing to do it go with a plumbed tank with wavebox or just your overflow.

Every pump at some point becomes a hazard.

May be the safest, but certainly not the best.

My nems need more flow than that. So does my tank.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the idea you have using
D516EA79-8BF6-4051-870C-2E55D7D41228_zpsjxrhvowq.jpg Photo by JaredJHarms | Photobucket
But using 2 back to back, zip tied together, and just cut out enough for the magnet to fit through and attach to the glass....kind of like an all encompassing basket...just a thought...and could you just drill larger holes into the output end?

It would be way too big then.

I could put some of the other material on the back and do like you said. Cut a hole big enough for the magnet. That would work.

camelcruiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not to concerned about the look you could try to extend the design and make it a bit wider. Extending it a few inches past the pumpi would think would make for to much flow in front of the pump for a nem to want to climb inside.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not to concerned about the look you could try to extend the design and make it a bit wider. Extending it a few inches past the pumpi would think would make for to much flow in front of the pump for a nem to want to climb inside.

I agree, I'm gonna try to keep as small and neat as possible, but also trying to stay 1-2" off the pump to reduce starvation and to keep the anemones tents out of it. I'm gonna do the first black one like a cage.

Then I'm gonna wrap one with that 2nd material and compare the two. Wanna see which works the best, the safest, and looks the best.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made these today. They're working decent so far. Not to big on the look, but they work.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I trashed the ones above I just made and I'm testing these new ones I made this evening.

Check them out. Let me know what you guys think.? One is single wrapped and the other is double wrapped for 100% anemone proof.

I feel like this design is my best yet. It's small, blends with my background, and should be very safe!

I'll sleep good tonight. :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back