DIY Apex 1Link Cable

thewbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that Neptune has released the cables for using the additional 1 link ports for some other 24v accessories but at $20 each I find that a little high. Has anyone figured out exactly what the connector is? I know it is a 2 pin and I have heard that it is a molex but I am seeing a few different types online. Before I go buy a few has anyone else done this and made their own cables?

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is molex but I think it has more than 2 pins. The cable carries DC voltage to run the accessory along with a control signal. I saw someplace that had both the pinouts and the molex part. Possibly in the DIY forum at Neptune.

OP
OP
thewbell

thewbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 24v accessory ports are just 2 post but I will have to doublecheck when I get home. I found a few threads on it on the Neptune forum but never saw resolution on the accessory ports, just the three main 1 link ports that are used for Dos and Wav.

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1Link port has 2 lines for power and 2 for data. That is the idea of 1link, 1 cable takes over for 2.

Apex also has 24V DC with no control. That is not 1link, it is just 24V DC.

The cable in the link above has the connector for Apex 24V on one end and bare wires on the other. In the related products there is a 10' 1link.

There are 2 different sockets on Apex. The 1Link that has 4 pins and the 24V that has 2 pins.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The connectors are just molex micro female. For 1link you need 4 pin female and for 24v you need 2 pin female. Steve's has these connectors for less than a buck.

4pin
http://www.stevesleds.com/Molex-Micro-Connector-4-position-Female-Includes-connector-pins_p_225.html

2pin
http://www.stevesleds.com/Molex-Micro-Connector-2-position-Female-Includes-connector-pins_p_222.html

Then you need these pins to crimp the cable inside the connector.
http://www.stevesleds.com/Molex-Connector-Pins--Female_p_223.html

For cable all one needs is 4 conductor or 2 conductor wire. Something as simple as speaker wire will work.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

With some techflex to make it pretty you can make tons and tons of 1link cables for the same that it costs to buy one.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that it's opposite what Molex says to wire them at, but I'm not sure offhand. I actually just ordered a bunch off amazon. Micro Molex v3.0. I'll just plug one in and multimeter it.

Also, like me, you confused the DC24 and the 1Link. The 1link is the 4 pin connector, and they don't have a DIY for that, because I think it has control pins. Not sure what they do, not willing to burn out an eb832 to find out. Maybe we could ask nicely. My wild guess is DC power + 10v control, but, thats a WAG.

I just found a 24v peristalic pump on amazon.. ordered it.. will see. (super simple, not even sure if it's mildly accurate, was like $12)

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wired the DC24 ports using DIY molex connector to power my return (15 watts) and skimmer (7 watts). The pin closer to the tab is the ground.

I wish the 4 pin connector can be used as plain 24v source as well. I have no use for 1Link.

Also, the DC24 ports have no power and current monitoring. Or is there?

ce811d64dcb210894ab2abccf5e33b0b.jpg

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I read somewhere recently the 1link is basically another aquabus cable but with more power, so not really useful for DIY stuff.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back