DIY aquarium lid

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use this or any reason not to? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tuftex-Pol...ated-Polycarbonate-Plastic-Roof-Panel/3043807
20200421_212947.jpg

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My1 st question would be what % of PAR would be lost with this. Also, how would light scatter using it, as it is not flat, but corrugated. Finally, it would probably get a lot of condensation, so you would have to clean it most likely daily.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mostly, yes. i think that there will be a lot of light scattered away from the tank.
Also like cvrle1 said, it will get salt and condensation on it quickly and will have to be cleaned often.
I ran a window frame and standard fiberglass screen from lowes for a while, just reciently i got the 1/4" square mesh from BRS and splined it into the existing screen frame i had.

Why do you say that? Because of the shape?

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mostly, yes. i think that there will be a lot of light scattered away from the tank.
Also like cvrle1 said, it will get salt and condensation on it quickly and will have to be cleaned often.
I ran a window frame and standard fiberglass screen from lowes for a while, just reciently i got the 1/4" square mesh from BRS and splined it into the existing screen frame i had.

Thanks but I'm looking for something that will decrease evaporation.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need a stiffening brace or 2. Would also work nicely has handles to remove it.
something along these lines but I would go the entire width( or length depending on tank size)
Wouldn’t have to be very tall. 1/2” would be enough I think.
Or just 1/4 plate glass for that matter. Won’t ever sag or warp.

B7ADAEDE-AAEB-4585-90E7-5C38A2E24114.jpeg

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried that in the past and it warps and bends very quick
Put thin sheet of glass then. It wont bend or warp. You will still have same issue with condensation and having to clean it every day though. How much evaporation do you have in a day?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jake Adams uses that at the Reefbuilders studio on at least one tank, but I think it's a fish-only tank where PAR is not an issue. But I can't imagine you'd lose a lot of PAR through that, at least not any more than any other diffuser-type material.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put thin sheet of glass then. It wont bend or warp. You will still have same issue with condensation and having to clean it every day though. How much evaporation do you have in a day?

I dont even know lol but I dont use an ATO and would prefer not to top off more than every couple of days

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jake Adams uses that at the Reefbuilders studio on at least one tank, but I think it's a fish-only tank where PAR is not an issue. But I can't imagine you'd lose a lot of PAR through that, at least not any more than any other diffuser-type material.

Cool thanks

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back