DIY autowater change?

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you do an autowater change using a cheap pump and some tubing?
Just curious what people think, I might try it.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, how auto is auto for you? Are you matching volume out vs in? Disconnecting ATO while it runs? etc etc.

Most AWC systems are designed for slow continuous replacement, or at least until the change tank is empty. Its an "inefficient" method as you're running on dilution with no volume change but its designed for maximum hands off, except when you need to start a new batch of water.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to set it and forget it no. A cheap pump won’t be accurate. I’ve only see it done with a controller or reef pi and a peristaltic pump.

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with reef junkie, it can be done and I did it for months but it wont be accurate, another suggestion would be to use a dosing pump easy to setup and far more reliable.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build it out with a reef pi. However, once it’s all said and done with buying all the parts, you may be better off just buying the AutoAqua AWC for $200. It’s already built, programmed, and tested. It comes with all the parts, and it’ll serve both ATO and AWC functions. If the goal is cheap AWC, it doesn’t get much cheaper than this thing if you’re not running an automated controller already.

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one using 3 12v pumps from amazon, 3 floating switches and an arduino to control everything. It works as ATO and AWC (that's why I use 3 pumps).
In simple terms, I have 3 float switches in the sump: High level, low level and a safety switch in case of over filling. A pump sits in the sump, fixed so it breaks syphon at the low level. Everyday at 18:20 it runs the pump for 3 seconds. This creates a syphon that removes the amount of water I want (about 5 liters). Once the low sensor is activated the arduino waits 1 minute to ensure the syphon as break and then fills the tank up to the high level. The arduino is also programmed to only run the filling pump for about 20 seconds more then it normally takes to fill the tank (safety). In case it overfills, the safety level sensor is connected directly to the relays that control the pump and will stop them.
The ATO side is simpler. 6 times a day it checks the high level sensor. If its low it fills the tank until the high level is active again. Again, time controlled so it can't overfill and the safety sensor will cut the pump.
Could it be simpler? Yes, but all the safety measures mean I can sleep easier.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with reef junkie, it can be done and I did it for months but it wont be accurate, another suggestion would be to use a dosing pump easy to setup and far more reliable.

Dosing pumps are peristaltic pumps.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one using 3 12v pumps from amazon, 3 floating switches and an arduino to control everything. It works as ATO and AWC (that's why I use 3 pumps).
In simple terms, I have 3 float switches in the sump: High level, low level and a safety switch in case of over filling. A pump sits in the sump, fixed so it breaks syphon at the low level. Everyday at 18:20 it runs the pump for 3 seconds. This creates a syphon that removes the amount of water I want (about 5 liters). Once the low sensor is activated the arduino waits 1 minute to ensure the syphon as break and then fills the tank up to the high level. The arduino is also programmed to only run the filling pump for about 20 seconds more then it normally takes to fill the tank (safety). In case it overfills, the safety level sensor is connected directly to the relays that control the pump and will stop them.
The ATO side is simpler. 6 times a day it checks the high level sensor. If its low it fills the tank until the high level is active again. Again, time controlled so it can't overfill and the safety sensor will cut the pump.
Could it be simpler? Yes, but all the safety measures mean I can sleep easier.

I would not trust float switch’s

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not trust float switch’s
I don't really either. That's why it has so many fail safes. Been going strong for a year. The floats have had problems but the safety measures stop it from being a problem. You can also replace them with optical sensors

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urm well yes....a little pertandic...or am I missing something?

They are the same

7595F10F-C7E9-49DB-BF25-5AC6D20F8A3A.png DA541750-DED5-47A9-BC37-DF628250396D.png

You can buy them on amazon 9ABFE887-7F8B-479B-B63C-E75EA5E98D11.png

Last edited:

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing a peristaltic pump to a dosing pump is a bit like saying an orange is a balanced meal.

A dosing pump incorporates a peristaltic pump into a more complex device.

Pedantic, perhaps. Going to make a difference when searching, definitely.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a jebao dosing pump from amazon.
With 4 pumps. You can program two lines to do water change one with water out (dirty )and water in (clean).

You then can use the remaining two lines to dose alk/ cal two part.

You could buy the one with just two pumps but for the $10 price difference it just doesn’t make sense.

And If you want to spend a little more you can buy the wi-fi one for like $99

Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4, Black

fishdrummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pumps are peristaltic pumps.
I use a stenner pump connected to the Apex. The saltwater replacement (swr) is incremental throughout the day.
The ATO is shutoff while this is happening to avoid a salinity drop ( I also added language to shut the swr off if the salinity gets too low). If you find a used Stenner or like I am sure you could figure out a way to do it cheaper.
I run the ¼ tubing coming from the 50 gallon saltwater and fresh RO tanks (rubbermaid trashcans) through the floor to my sump.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing a peristaltic pump to a dosing pump is a bit like saying an orange is a balanced meal.

A dosing pump incorporates a peristaltic pump into a more complex device.

Pedantic, perhaps. Going to make a difference when searching, definitely.

I hardly call a dosing pump a more complex device. It’s the same the type of pump. More expensive ones are used in labs or hospitals. It’s what control’s the pump not really the pump. The point this is the type of pump needed for the accuracy of a set it and for get it water change not what you want to call the pump. Some of the more accurate dosing pumps BRS has can be ran off of just a simple timer. The problem is this is not going to turn off an ATO and they are not that cheap. I would not use timers to do auto water changes.

CA07613A-3ED1-436A-B938-8AFDB5B3B1F4.png

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a stenner pump connected to the Apex. The saltwater replacement (swr) is incremental throughout the day.
The ATO is shutoff while this is happening to avoid a salinity drop ( I also added language to shut the swr off if the salinity gets too low). If you find a used Stenner or like I am sure you could figure out a way to do it cheaper.
I run the ¼ tubing coming from the 50 gallon saltwater and fresh RO tanks (rubbermaid trashcans) through the floor to my sump.

That’s the point OP doesn’t have an apex. Unless they plan to buy one an an awc at $200 would be a cheaper option.

54BE7560-FB70-456D-A499-5E0E73FC12AB.png

fishdrummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the point OP doesn’t have an apex. Unless they plan to buy one an an awc at $200 would be a cheaper option.

54BE7560-FB70-456D-A499-5E0E73FC12AB.png

IYou don't need an Apex to run it of course . any timer could do it . The Stenner is around $320. I have used it now since 2013. The unit is very reliable mechanically.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back