DIY Chiller

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been mulling how to keep a small aquarium (10 gallons) in the garage cool during the hot summer months where temperatures can reach 100F+.

Commercial aquarium chillers start at about $500 and go up from there.

I started another thread about using some kind of ice chest, running a flow tube through ice bags and back into the tank using a thermo controller like an Inkbird. There are a number of unknowns with such a setup.

Then I started looking at mini fridges. They can run less than $100 on sale.

How might I incorporate a mini fridge as a chiller?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve done some research into this too, and the general consensus is that to make an effective cooler using a fridge (or even a chest freezer) just isn’t a good idea. People have done it (there are a few good threads on some other aquarium forums and on Reddit with examples), but the time, effort, calculations, and cost to make it work well are pretty high barriers to work around.

Basically, fridges and the like just don’t have enough power to meaningfully cool tanks without some intensive (both in DIY labor, time, and cost) modifications.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mini fridge is just going to burn up or stop working, especially if it's outside is already at 100+ degrees. They make their inside cool by making their outside hot. If the outside is already hot without them doing anything, what do you think will happen? The temperature diffeerence they can keep up between inside/outside is pretty limited.

And before you try modifying an ice chest or buy a tank chiller, just get A/C for your room/house. It's not much more expensive if at all depending on room size and will probably make your life worth living in the days and weeks (months?) where it is 100+ degrees. I speak from experience.

And don't even think about evaporative cooling unless your climate is super dry at those temperatures and you don't mind leaving the windows open, and even then, hell on earth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back