DIY chromium

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biff0rz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
2,393
Reaction score
1,439
Location
Michigan (SE)
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Debates aside, I'd like to dose it. I don't want to buy it from the current company offering it. Thus, I need a raw source.

I am unable to buy Chromium(III) Chloride Hexahydrate without being a lab (😭)

Looking at alternatives, it looks like I can purchase Chromium(III) potassium sulfate dodecahydrate.

Is this a viable reef alternative? Also open to other alternatives for chromium. Thanks!
 
It is equally suitable to chromium trichloride. It has a molecular weight of 499 g/mole, so you would use 1.88 times as much as the chromium trichloride recipe below:



CrCL3.6H2O (mw = 266 g/mole) is 19.5% chromium by weight.

1 g CrCL3.6H2O /L is 19.5 mg Cr/L = ppm.

If you dose 1 mL of that to 100 liters of aquarium volume, the boost is 0.002 mg/L or 2.0 ppb.
 
Try from here to purchase: https://www.laballey.com/products/c...XjYckGDde_3L9H6QPwBV0bR6v&selected=C2925-125g

Looks like they will ship to single family residences.
Thanks, but it looks like CrCL3.6H2O is quite toxic compared to the Chromium(III) potassium sulfate dodecahydrate, so I ordered that instead.

It is equally suitable to chromium trichloride. It has a molecular weight of 499 g/mole, so you would use 1.88 times as much as the chromium trichloride recipe below:



CrCL3.6H2O (mw = 266 g/mole) is 19.5% chromium by weight.

1 g CrCL3.6H2O /L is 19.5 mg Cr/L = ppm.

If you dose 1 mL of that to 100 liters of aquarium volume, the boost is 0.002 mg/L or 2.0 ppb.

Thanks!!
 
FWIW, the toxicity should not be different since both dissolve to make free Cr+++ in water. None of the potassium, sulfate, or chloride stay permanently attached to the chromium when it dissolves.

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new