DIY Coral Viewer

BGC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Here is an easy to build coral viewer if anyone is interested!

The total cost was probably under $6 - $7.. (Better than spending $15-25 on these) you could buy a frag with the money you saved ;D

ddab6cd8.jpg

Materials:
  • 1/4" black pvc connector - $2.50
  • Thin piece of glass (home depot cut it to 4x4" square for me) - $3
  • Glass Cutter $3 maybe
  • Silicone - Had some laying around (new should be a few bucks)
  • Painters Tape - Also found some around the house
  • Sharpie and Dremmel tool (Not necessary)
1. Outline PVC connector on square piece of glass with sharpie

2. Cut Glass with glass cutter.
- Just score it in the arch shape outlined. Then prop both sides up and apply pressure against the score.
bd2b198b.jpg

3. Cut all four corners off of the glass square. Now you have a circle
9274314c.jpg

4. Super Glue your circle to the pvc piece. Apply pressure with something heavy and let it dry.
-This will create a fingerprint chamber and you will be able to lift your prints.. if you are a forensics fan.. haha
ddab6cd8.jpg

5. Make a circle out of painters tape and place in the inside
-Leave about a 1/4" space from the edge for the silicone.. This will make everything a lot neater.
dc6e3b86.jpg

-Make a tab to easier pull it out. Pull it out after siliconing the inside (before it dries)
0c541967.jpg

6. Then silicone the inside edges.
-Apply a steady even bead.. Dont be scared to put too much. Thats what the painters tape is for.
-Then wet your finger and slide it over the siliconed areas to push it in the cracks.
c0b5ff23.jpg

7. Clean Finger
- Nail Polish Remover?

8. Wait 24hrs for silicone to dry

9. Grind down edges with a dremmel.
-Be careful. Go Slow. If you dont have a dremmel, a simple grinder or sand paper would work.

10. Enjoy
- Pics with finished product:
d97e8d9e.jpg

201f92aa.jpg

1ff6ca8c.jpg

2f7ada16.jpg

OP
OP
BGC

BGC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cubbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like. Shouldn't you sand down the edges though! They look dangerous!

OP
OP
BGC

BGC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like. Shouldn't you sand down the edges though! They look dangerous!

I did sand the edges down after I took the pictures, blood in the tank couldnt be a good thing.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You forgot one step. You have to have your wife model the silicone gun for the picture! HA!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool, my viewer is clear, so I get light reflections in my pictures. I will definitely build one!

OP
OP
BGC

BGC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot one step. You have to have your wife model the silicone gun for the picture! HA!

hahah wasnt sure if anyone would notice the pink finger nails or not. she did help out so i should have given her some credit too! :tongue:

OP
OP
BGC

BGC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowes carries black ABS,not PVC but will work the same with this cool project

Yeah I think I got the black pvc at lowes. I dont think home depot carries it. Also didnt know it was called ABS

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I got the black pvc at lowes. I dont think home depot carries it. Also didnt know it was called ABS

here's an article I found that kinda explains the difference in PVC and ABS New Construction Plumbing: White PVC vs The Black Stuff - Plumbing Forum - GardenWeb

The white pipe is PVC (Poly-vinyl Chloride)
The black pipe is ABS (Acylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene).

Both PVC & ABS schedule 40 pipe is approved under both the International Residential Code and the Uniform Plumbing Code for DWV (Drain, waste & Vent) applications inside a structure above grade, inside a structure below grade and for direct burial outside a structure. (Note-only schedule 40 is approved for DWV application)

Some local codes will require PVC only or ABS only. (check your local AHJ)

While both materials will provide nearly identical service life ABS is slightly easier to install because it can be glued in one step by the application of the appropriate ASTM rated ABS glue. PVC joints are a two step process requiring the application of an ASTM rated PVC solvent/primer before applying the ASTM rated PVC Glue.

The solvent primer for PVC is made in both a clear liquid and a purple dye type. While both primers are the same most local codes require the use of the purple dye type in new construction so an inspector can be visually assured that the primer was used prior to gluing the joint.

There are some glues on the market that are said to be interchangeable between PVC & ABS (Read the labels on the can carefully to insure the glue is rated for the type of pipe you are using.)
Most local codes will restrict you to using a glue or glue & primer made specifically for the type of pipe you are using.

Code prohibits directly gluing PVC to ABS. Some local codes will permit a maximum of one PVC to ABS joint per structure when making a transition of materials but once you have made the transition from one to the other you must continue to finish the job with the new material. Under no circumstances may PVC and ABS pipe and fittings be co-mingled in the system.

some people say that the ABS will leach out chemicals into an aquarium but I've not seen any ill effects from using it in my tank yet,and I pretty sure that the aquarium nozzles like the line loc brand and the penductors that most on-line reefing stores sell are made from the same ABS material

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back