DIY Diatom Filter for under $100.00

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fine and I don't care as long as someone can use the thing. That is PVC pipe joint glue on my hand. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

This can not be patented, especially being I posted it on line. I know this because I have 2 patents and they look long and hard to see if your invention was published before, even by you.

Besides, all the parts in it are already patented.

Debra, you also have a great Christmas. I played Santa for 45 years and my birthday is on Christmas Day. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

This is my bride of 50 years but this is years ago.

This is in NYU Hospital in Manhattan on the Children's Cancer floor. Here they had the most serious cases and much of it was experimental. My friends kid was there and he got cured, but unfortunately 40% of the kids and infants there never made it home.

After many years I had to quit because it takes a lot out of you.

I totally know what you mean, Paul. I used to do this kind of stuff for the kids but after a few years they decided that I was taking too many of the gifts home in my knapsack so they sacked me. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Merry Christmas to you and that Supermodel that you have been married to. She is very lucky that I didn't see her first?:cool: Really! :face-blowing-a-kiss:

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, PaulB. I'll be placing my amazon order just need to find a smallish package of DE powder. Smallish just in case I decide I'd rather just use the 5 micron or 1 micron filter.

Merry Christmas! I hope you wife has good days on the horizon.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mickey, Vortex used to sell small bags of the powder but not any longer so I buy the stuff for pools now. You get a lot but I almost used it up already. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying not to buy 25 lbs of it in case I end up preferring to use just the cartridge. I also have a good sized bag of food grade that isn't even opened that I don't know what to do with.

I have aquarium related "stuff" all over the place. Too much to put in one place. So much that I don't even remember what I have and often buy something I need then learn later that I already have it in my stash somewhere. Oh well, I guess things could be worse!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a good sized bag of food grade that isn't even opened that I don't know what to do with.
You can eat it. It doesn't taste good and probably doesn't do anything for or to you but it probably isn't fattening. :anguished-face:

If I had much left, I would send you some, but even with my 25lb bag, I am scrapping the bottom.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered parts for a half size diatom filter but this one has a one micron cartridge and it doesn't work with powder. It should work perfect for people concerned about parasites (I am not). I can't find a one micron pleated cartridge to use with powder. I want to see how this one works and how easy it is to clean. The cartridges are only five bucks so even if I can't clean it, it is still cheap enough to change the cartridges occasionally.

Hopefully next week I will be able to build the thing and test it.

It will cost me about $115.00 in parts because I am using a good pump.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can eat it. It doesn't taste good and probably doesn't do anything for or to you but it probably isn't fattening. :anguished-face:

If I had much left, I would send you some, but even with my 25lb bag, I am scrapping the bottom.
Maybe I'll add to brownies or Christmas cookies to see if anyone notices. I can advertize them as non fattening!

Can't wait to see your new smaller one. I'm particularly interested in where you found the smaller cartridge for $5! I've only seen the 10" ones.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see If I can find the time to post it. Now after my walk we are still wrapping Christmas presents. My wife goes overboard with stocking stuffers and there are hundreds of them. :oops:

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul great build, love the tinkering to dial it in. If I read right you stated that you wouldn’t have to use powder if you want with 1 micron? What do you suggest for the 1 micron?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the 1 micron canister for my new build but it is a woven item so diatom powder would clog it very fast. To use the powder (as I prefer) you need a pleated cartridge, but I can't find one for the smaller 5" housing.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I just looked. The 5 Micron one is $5.00 but the 1 micron one is $10.00. Probably if you buy many of them, they are cheaper.

Pentair Pentek P5-478 Sediment Water Filter, 5-Inch, Under Sink Spun-Bonded Polypropylene Replacement Cartridge, 5" x 2.5", 5 Micron​

Visit the Pentek Store
4.4 4.4 out of 5 stars 25 ratings

Price:$5.26$5.26 ($5.26$5.26 / Count)

Get a $200 Gift Card: Pay $0.00 $5.26 upon approval for Prime Visa. No annual fee.

May be available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.

MaterialPolypropylene
Product Dimensions2.5"D x 2.5"W x 5"H
Item Weight2.08 Ounces
External Testing CertificationNSF
Product BenefitsRemoves Dust

About this item​

• KEEP YOUR WATER CLEAN and protect your appliances by removing dirt, sand, silt, scale, and rust particles in residential, commercial, and municipal drinking water
  • FITS ALL 5" standard housings and can replace any 5" x 2.5" sediment filter cartridge
  • MANUFACTURED FROM PURE 100% POLYPROPYLENE FIBERS spun together to form a true gradient density from outer to inner surfaces
  • DESIGNED FOR PURITY AND CHEMICAL RESISTANCE so will not impart taste, odor or color
  • NOMINAL FILTRATION RATING of 5 Micron

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received all the parts to build the small diatom filter. This one will be rather expensive because the "frame, supports and base" will be 1/2" acrylic sheet. One square foot of the stuff is about $25.00 and each filter uses one square foot.

This one is just for me to experiment but if I ever made any more I don't think I would use acrylic just for the cost. But I like it so much better than any other material and it looks like jewelry. :D

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Marineland Magnum is an absolute joke to so the least... You can not clean your sand beds, rocks, and sumps with that, Its a water polisher and why..? Running Carbon will do just that, the same thing. The Vortex Diatom gets a bad rap because, well people are just _ _ _ _ _ _ they have forgotten how to actually be a aquarists and what it takes. I apologize "I" said it.. lol. They just want to plug everything in and go... "NOT". Salty Fingers for some 35++ years here... and counting. * I have ever found out what material the original Vortex bags where made of. *** THAT is what I what to know! The material is almost like a fiberglass matting, and it does not deform much as in the case of a sucked in pleated filter does with to large a pump. The Vortex Diatom by Innerspace is one of the top 10 best invention's ever to reefing period, this is a fact!. I made one I have been using my DYI made diatom for over 29 years... :) It's so cool. I use it on a 28 year old 280 gallon reef tank system, 120g, and a 90g with a 110 gallon horse trough as a sump. Power goes off no problem...it back fills into the 110g trough! Never a flood at all... got you thinking? lol.. 5 foot skimmer the reaction time is outstanding...And I never let it over skim either lol. No old tank syndrome here!! Via my Diatom..! By the way one GOOD build PaulB..!!!!!!! But remember NO METAL ever in contact with any water! Plastic Screws inside the canister..? Happy Holidays to all and God Speed .. be safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

. 5 foot skimmer the reaction time is outstanding.
Mine is about 5' :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: No metal inside my new model. I also built my old diatom filter bags, I think I used some sort of foam material. My new pleated filters don't implode because there is a stiff plastic mesh inside.

You can see one I made here in the foreground. The other one is an original. This picture may be 15 years old or more. :cool:

Last edited:

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just one I made to really clean up a 28 year old system to the max... It works FANTASTIC...! Food Grade diatomaceous earth is really very cheap.. I use 4 cups when I use this one.. It's on wheels as well. Bag filters are very cheap.. $8.00 each. 200 micron, 100 micron, 50 micron, 10 micron, 5 micron, and 1 micron. This is one of my builds. An old canister filter changed out the bag to a 5 micron added a small pump with a tee valve, you don't want to much flow ever! This is a done deal.. Built this right about 18 years ago.

I use a Supreme Aqua-Mag 1800 GPH pump to circulate my RO water while it both heats and mix's. But I use it on my diatom pictured below as well...​

You can just buy it all right here, Click on Danner pump and scroll down to "frequently bought together" there will be your build. People have been building these for years as seen buy what they bought here from Amazon. I would go with a much smaller pump! Buy dropping down to a $50 or $60 pump.... 5 micron filter works absolutely great. I have used 10 a lot as well just let it circulate a little more it will catch up and clear the water. Two thumbs and a balancing act and you can get it in to your tank. I have both tried and used two shut off valves as well off an old magnum canister... If you have a aquarium you should have one of these. The list is so very long.. :p:p

20221221_141746.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back