DIY Diatom Filter for under $100.00

cyphastrea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very cool! I have several old Diatoms as well. Thankfully the "newest" one has all plastic housing rather than metal so it looks as though it may last forever. When the Diatoms were dying out I found an online dealer with a stack of the filter bags and bought 20. After a couple of decades I still have 7 left - they last forever.

I like your design and since you can size the pump I suspect yours can be more powerful. I plan to make one next week after the Christmas rush. The Diatom was the best piece of aquarium equipment I ever bought and I have used them since 1971.

Thanks for sharing.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debra, I have always loved building things and that may be because my Dad died suddenly when I was ten. (he was 47) My Mom had to get a job in a sweat shop on the west side of Manhattan making baby hats as she had a mortgage and two small sons.

That is what made me start building my own things. I built my first bicycle from parts I found in lots.
Luckily when I was 12, my neighbor gave me a job in his auto wrecking yard taking cars apart sometimes with an acetylene torch. (today he would get arrested for that for a number of reasons). But it taught me how to become independent and build anything I wanted :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Just last week my Captain (now retired General) from Viet Nam sent me this text after he accidentally googled my name.

Quote:
"Paul, Checked you out on Google-Not surprised by your achievements!! With all the ingenuity you used in Nam to keep our COMMO running with scrounged parts/equipment-even off wrecked helicopters that you could grow coral" .
End Quote

I spent that year in the jungle and all I had was a pliers, screwdriver and probably a hack saw. I was the COMMO chief in charge of a field artillery battery and set up the communications. No cell phones or computers then.

Helicopters would crash all the time and I would fly there with a friend of mine who had a small helicopter and remove parts like switches, guages and batteries to build things we needed like a way to wash our clothes, communicate with the rear or "Gun Ship Cobra Helicopters and light our bunkers. He still calls me all the time and tells me things I built that I have no recollection of.

I was on 14 Firebases that we built and this was one of my "houses" (after a large battle)

Holy Bat s<>^t, that explains you’re DIY
Progression, it sounds like you’re buddies miss you’re can do it intelligentlce. My Dad had a good friend in Darian, NY who owned a huge scrap yard and gave Dad free rien, amazing what you can do when you don’t have money lol. We’re (Tom and I) are products of hard work and do it yourself! That’s why I have enjoyed the education of your saltwater style plus
New isn’t necessarily better. You are truly a blessing to your wife. I’m so sorry she’s got MS. I’ve got such nerve damage from 4 extensive back surgeries that I put Tom in your position. It’s tough on us, (girls) to have to rely on you guys, I’m sure she ran the house, cooked, cleaned and raised the kiddos. Oh well, that’s why I spend so much time with the fishes, thinking they hear me! I sure wish you luck on your back, check out the Neurologist surgeon, my last one was awesome but still have nerve damage. Jeez, what a sappy post for a true hero! One of my nephews is a MP Sgt in the Army and other was an Army Ranger. Iran and Afghanistan. Respect and proud doesn’t even begin to voice.
Can I get your advice? If you have a chance
We have a 125gL tank on on side of living room, no tree this year, and our current DT on opposite side of Living Room. This way they can watch you on
YouTube lol. Well, I’m sure it will cycle with all my seasoned LR and substrate, but I’m adding Naso Tang, a wrasse a royal basset, and 7 or 8 Chromis.all from Mike, Dr. Reef qurarante fish. 4 wks in copper. I’m planning on adding new livestock first to find hiding places etc. I’m replicating “Tang” corner in 125 for them, just before I add them. Is that a good idea? The new guys are all small, I saw a YouTube video with a royal gamma that kept the the Chromis schooling, not fighting. I’m doing aquascape with front, sides and back open for tang swimming with cut throughs. We had many corals we got in the 70’sand 80’s along with LR we didn’t use I’ve got them running in a tank with sand and Rock Enhancer to hopefully get bacteria going the make structure. I’m mainly focused on fish scape but Tom wants corals, so I’ll be ready. Based on your longtime experience adding fish, good idea?
Thanks, Debra

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5 micron cartridge seems to work very well, "So Far in a test". I put diatom powder in a container with water and had the filter suck it up.
It coated the cartridge and completely cleared up the water of powder.

The only "issue" of starting it like this is that it would be difficult to start it in my tank this way. Normally, I add the powder with some water into my diatom filter before I start it. Then I put the ends of the hoses together and let it run until the jar gets clear and all the powder is on the pleated cartridge.

To run it this way, I would have to start it in a container of salt water and after it clears, I would have to put the ends of the hoses together while it is still running and transfer it to my reef. Then put the ends of the hoses under the water in my tank and pull them apart.

I normally do it that way anyway except I dump the power in before I start it. If I did that now, I "think" the powder would lump up on the bottom of the filter and stay there. I will test that and if that happens, I devised another way to start it that is very simple but I need to test it and it won't cost anything or take up any time. Just cost two bucks to implement.

I will post what happens.

Test filter system..JPG

Coated test run.JPG
What I use to do with the vortex was hang a one gallon pitcher on the glass inside the tank. Pitcher full of water pump running add de, after filter was coated, then quickly move hoses into tank. Using the bypass valve made it easier. Adding the fine carbon powder sure made the tank sparkle.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debra, going for my morning walk now so I will get back to this later. I have to read it again.

Bruce, thats how we used to start Diatom filters in the 60. I forgot about it because for the last 40 or so years I just dumped the powder in the filter and ran it with the hoses stuck together. When the jar cleared I pulled the hoses apart under water in my tank. It was quicker.

My new model won't let me do that because the old diatoms had a tube that extended down to the bottom of the jar that kept the powder in suspension while you waited to coat the jar. My new design doesn't allow for that tube without some modifications and I wanted to make this simple so anyone could build it.

Last edited:

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For give me for sounding stupid bit what is a diatom filter for? Are you collecting sea water or fighting a bloom?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one similar after seeing it on humble.fish to deal with bacterial blooms in my QT tank and it works fantastically.

Im curious though, you mentioned if you use the 1 micron you dont need the Diatom powder. If this is the case, why bother with the larger micron filters and the diatoms?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crisz. I have been using a diatom filter since they invented them in the 60s and the way I run my tank, kind of a natural system, I need it but most tanks don't. It is used for polishing water and will remove anything up to a millionth of an inch. To use it you add diatom powder which has fine pores in it. When your done, you backflush the filter in a sink and the powder washes out.

It will also remove parasites so if you run a quarantine tank, which I do "NOT" it would be useful for that. You can use it for polishing up the water in any tank and I normally use it for blowing detritus out of the pores in my rock, some of which are 50 years old.

I also run a reverse undergravel filter and occasionally I need to stir it up so it doesn't clog.

When I collect NSW I sometimes use it if the water has a green tinge or is filled with mud and chopped up seaweed.

I don't use it to remove parasites unless I buy or get for free a fish covered in parasites and I try to cure it. For that I also may have to use some type of medication but I am totally against that so it very rarely happens.

It is just to use occasionally to remove any unsightly particles but no one actually needs one to run a tank. I only normally use it a few times a year.

Of course if your tank is very old like mine is, particles may accumulate in there especially in the pores of the rock.

Did that answer your question?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious though, you mentioned if you use the 1 micron you dont need the Diatom powder. If this is the case, why bother with the larger micron filters and the diatoms?
You certainly can use it with the one micron filter and no powder. I never ran it that way but I assume many people would. I feel the powder gets washed away after you finish using the filter so it may be easier to clean. I "think" but I am not sure that the pores in that one micron filter will clog after a few uses and will be difficult to clean and get the thing working like a new cartridge. Of course you can change the cartridge if you like. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I’m adding Naso Tang, a wrasse a royal basset, and 7 or 8 Chromis.all from Mike, Dr. Reef qurarante fish. 4 wks in copper. I’m planning on adding new livestock first to find hiding places etc. I’m replicating “Tang” corner in 125 for them, just before I add them. Is that a good idea?
Good Morning Debra. I am back from my cold and dark walk. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I don't know what a "Tang Corner" is (or rock enhancer) If you read any of my nonsense you know I am not a big fan of naso tangs or copper. :astonished-face: (It's just me and doesn't mean anything)

If it is a new tank, I guess you would need to quarantine or buy a quarantined fish. Chromis could be tough but not all the time and I think the tang should be fine. Just don't make the mistake of feeding him mostly lettuce, kelp or nori. They should also be fed meaty foods like clams.

You said you are adding new livestock first, does that mean there are already old fish in the tank? What are they?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mickey, It seems very easy to backflush this new design and the powder comes off the cartridge very easy. maybe because the cartridge is new, I don't know. When I make a few small modifications the new version should also be very easy to take apart if you want to clean it better or change the cartridge.

This prototype is a little hard to do that.

Yes, I just hook it p to the sink

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mickey, It seems very easy to backflush this new design and the powder comes off the cartridge very easy. maybe because the cartridge is new, I don't know. When I make a few small modifications the new version should also be very easy to take apart if you want to clean it better or change the cartridge.

This prototype is a little hard to do that.

Yes, I just hook it p to the sink
Paul if you added a couple quick disconnects to the hoses off the filter, could just switch your hoses and put your pump in some water and use that to backwash the filter?

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Debra. I am back from my cold and dark walk. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I don't know what a "Tang Corner" is (or rock enhancer) If you read any of my nonsense you know I am not a big fan of naso tangs or copper. :astonished-face: (It's just me and doesn't mean anything)

If it is a new tank, I guess you would need to quarantine or buy a quarantined fish. Chromis could be tough but not all the time and I think the tang should be fine. Just don't make the mistake of feeding him mostly lettuce, kelp or nori. They should also be fed meaty foods like clams.

You said you are adding new livestock first, does that mean there are already old fish in the tank? What are they?
Hi Mister, thanks for the reply, sorry, texting with rum and eggnog. Got 100gTall already setup for years. Have YT, Hippo, Sailfin, Lemonpeel Angel and 1 Chromis, my lone quarantine attempt 3-4 years ago. Convinced Tom to buy used 125 GLong tank, already across from current DT, not plumbed yet. “Tang corner” refers to a 1/2 basketball size red coral Skeleton with dinner sized plate size LR with mushrooms resting on top, the Hippo sleeps sideways inbetweem, Saifilfin claims the front side and YT rests in behind.
IMG_6500.jpeg
I plan on using current LR, substrate to new tank, add new quarantined fish first to get acquainted, then add “old” fish. I want to help Tangs feel comfortable by adding their favorite rocks right before them.! Sorry, Rock Enhancher may be snake oil but I’ve thrown sand and old Lr and coral pieces in a 20g 2 months ago to supposedly seed with bacteria
IMG_6472.jpeg
I have not test anything or water changed, just added powdered bacteria and letting run with HOB sponge and a powerhead. My question to you dear leader is adding new livestock first to new tank before current fish better for stress levels since new guys are all small?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, people dont tweek now, they twerk.

That old company, I bought one of the last new filters that I found on eBay and the micron bag inside fell apart. That company made the worst quality stuff and they were around since the phonograph was invented, (I hope you see where I am going with this)

Can you please start manufacturing these knock-off upgraded Diatom Dust Buster Filters for Aquariums in your garage so that the reefing community can have these amazing units and you can live forever making them?

:cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debra, yes that sounds like the way to go. I am not sure about "powdered bacteria". That sounds like snake oil, powdered snake oil. You could have your cat sleep in the tank for better bacteria or add a piece of clam or shrimp.

I am not big on anything in a can, bottle or jar especially bacteria when it covers everything for free.

Your tank looks fine and should come along perfectly. In the meantime I finished the diatom filter. Very simple and your cat could build the thing.

Blue Spot Octopus, the thing is simple but if you need help, let me know.

Finished Diatom filter.JPG

This is the base of the pump and the 4" PVC Pipe end cap screwed to the plastic board. These plastic boards are from Home Depot and it's 1 X 6 used for outdoor moldings.
Mounting on Diatom filter.JPG

I tapped the end cap for 1/4" X 20 screws to keep the filter housing in sturdy. If you can't do that or if your name is Humble you can live without it but the housing will be loose. I will put in 4- 1/4 X 20 X 3/4" nylon thumb screws just to hold it but not to tight as I don't want to crack the thing
Tapping Cup.JPG

I will change those stainless screws to nylon when I get them. I used brass screws to secure the end cap to the plastic board because I had them. You can use stainless steel screws. #8 X 1/2" pan or round head screws.

I replaced the clear tubing with PVC pipe because now you can just unscrew the 1/2" union and unscrew the top of the filter housing to replace the cartridge or clean it. Simple.

You should be able to see the plumbing parts I used from the finished picture but if not, let me know what you want to know

Building Diatom showing Cap.JPG

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much diatomaceous earth do you use to charge the pleated cartridge?

Is that superglue on your finger?

Take care of yourself, sir. Thanks for the DIY idea and pictures. I still think you should have patented this before you posted it. I suspect Jebao will have their model out before Xmas. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :cool:

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debra, yes that sounds like the way to go. I am not sure about "powdered bacteria". That sounds like snake oil, powdered snake oil. You could have your cat sleep in the tank for better bacteria or add a piece of clam or shrimp.

I am not big on anything in a can, bottle or jar especially bacteria when it covers everything for free.

Your tank looks fine and should come along perfectly. In the meantime I finished the diatom filter. Very simple and your cat could build the thing.

Blue Spot Octopus, the thing is simple but if you need help, let me know.

Finished Diatom filter.JPG

This is the base of the pump and the 4" PVC Pipe end cap screwed to the plastic board. These plastic boards are from Home Depot and it's 1 X 6 used for outdoor moldings.
Mounting on Diatom filter.JPG

I tapped the end cap for 1/4" X 20 screws to keep the filter housing in sturdy. If you can't do that or if your name is Humble you can live without it but the housing will be loose. I will put in 4- 1/4 X 20 X 3/4" nylon thumb screws just to hold it but not to tight as I don't want to crack the thing
Tapping Cup.JPG

I will change those stainless screws to nylon when I get them. I used brass screws to secure the end cap to the plastic board because I had them. You can use stainless steel screws. #8 X 1/2" pan or round head screws.

I replaced the clear tubing with PVC pipe because now you can just unscrew the 1/2" union and unscrew the top of the filter housing to replace the cartridge or clean it. Simple.

You should be able to see the plumbing parts I used from the finished picture but if not, let me know what you want to know

Building Diatom showing Cap.JPG
Woohoo, Vortex has nothing on you, heck, I’m chasing hubby now w/phone. Can ya patent that??? Might make back surgery recovery better lol
I figured it might be snake oil, I should know better! Thanks for the advice, have a blessed Merry Christmas and better new year with those loved ones
Debra

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect Jebao will have their model out before Xmas. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :cool:
That is fine and I don't care as long as someone can use the thing. That is PVC pipe joint glue on my hand. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

This can not be patented, especially being I posted it on line. I know this because I have 2 patents and they look long and hard to see if your invention was published before, even by you.

Besides, all the parts in it are already patented.

Debra, you also have a great Christmas. I played Santa for 45 years and my birthday is on Christmas Day. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

This is my bride of 50 years but this is years ago.

This is in NYU Hospital in Manhattan on the Children's Cancer floor. Here they had the most serious cases and much of it was experimental. My friends kid was there and he got cured, but unfortunately 40% of the kids and infants there never made it home.

After many years I had to quit because it takes a lot out of you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back