0   0   0
Spyc, I have no idea what reddit is

Axelrodi202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any visual color change to the diatom powder or the filter cartridge as the filter gets saturated? Or do you just have to go by flow rate changes?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets dirty looking. Like grey. Also the flow rare keeps getting slower and it will stop all together if you keep it running. It's not something you should run to long.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul - I'm finally getting around to this project and was thinking about some of the "stuff" I've got stashed around here. I have a BRS double canister set up that I used to use for carbon and GFO. I'm thinking about repurposing it for this project, maybe put a 5 micron filter in the first one then a 1 micron in the second and then skip the DE. What do you think? Hoses are half inch and I think that should be good.

Axelrodi202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul - I'm finally getting around to this project and was thinking about some of the "stuff" I've got stashed around here. I have a BRS double canister set up that I used to use for carbon and GFO. I'm thinking about repurposing it for this project, maybe put a 5 micron filter in the first one then a 1 micron in the second and then skip the DE. What do you think? Hoses are half inch and I think that should be good.
I ran a one micron sediment filter on my freshwater planted tank. In one week it went from stark white fresh to dark black saturated with dirty stuff. I've been running that same sediment filter for a week since installing the DE filter and it is still pretty white.

What you propose will work, but my guess is that the DE coating makes the filter last much longer, since the detritus gets caught in the large surface area of DE (which can then be washed out) rather than getting stuck in the filter material where it will remain.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS double canister set up that I used to use for carbon and GFO. I'm thinking about repurposing it for this
Mickey, I have no Idea what a BRS canister is but if the pump is strong enough, it should work fine. But I can't tell from here

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a one micron sediment filter on my freshwater planted tank. In one week it went from stark white fresh to dark black saturated with dirty stuff. I've been running that same sediment filter for a week since installing the DE filter and it is still pretty white.

What you propose will work, but my guess is that the DE coating makes the filter last much longer, since the detritus gets caught in the large surface area of DE (which can then be washed out) rather than getting stuck in the filter material where it will remain.
Thanks for telling me of your experience. I guess I'll get a hold of some DE powder to try rather than going with just the filter.

Paul - here's a picture of the BRS reactor. It's just two canisters hooked together. One potential drawback I see is that it uses 1/2" fittings which might be too small, especially if I want to push or pull through two cartridges.

1711423827007.png

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that will work, but as you said the 1/2 inch hoses are a little small

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy canisters from many other manufacturers with 3/4" inlets and outlets. You can get 1" inlets and outlets with the "Big Blue" style of filter which is pricier.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy canisters from many other manufacturers with 3/4" inlets and outlets. You can get 1" inlets and outlets with the "Big Blue" style of filter which is pricier.
I appreciate your comments and I know this. I was just thinking about repurposing something I already have rather than buying more stuff. Over the years I've accumulated quite a lot of "stuff" that is just sitting around and thought this might be a good opportunity to put some of it back into use rather than collecting dust. But I don't think it's going to work after all. I'll be going to the 3/4" outlet.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you mean about repurposing vs buying something new. I have many boxes full of good quality aquarium equipment that I don't need but don't want to get rid of either.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what's the easiest way to backwash this? I was thinking about just attaching another pump (I seem to have lots of small pumps laying around ;) ) to the "outlet" hose and let the water just run through backwards with the new "outlet" on the opposite side of the canister from the pump going to a sink drain. I thought about quick disconnects to swap the inlet and outlet on the pump used for this but those get expensive. Anyone have a better idea?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mickey you just connect the outflow of the pump to a sink. I have a screw in "adapter" that I screw into my sick and run water through the filter backwards.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back