diy durso pipe

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own durso pipes for my 125 marineland dual overflow dt tank. the bulk heads are 1 inch and the durso pipes i made are 2 inch. my problem im runing into is that I have to remove the durso pipes to get it to start siphoning the warter I have adjusted the water flow from the return pump to practically nothing. I got to the point where I have to remove the durso pipes real quick to get it to start siphoning the water. then it's fine. the bulk head are im including a picture of where I think the problem is on the durso. the onlyl difference I d o have a cap at the top where the picture doesn't have one. the bottom goes into a one inche pipe and the top is 2 inch. could that be my problem? I have checked for blockage and removed them and cleaned them. nothing blocking the water flow. any ideas would be helpfull. thinking on redoing it and going from 1 inch pipe to 1.25 inch. two inched pipes might be to much.

durso.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a stockman standpipe. Simple, effective, and whisper-quiet. I have a 2-inch overflow and it is tight in my box so this was the only solution I could use. Never had any issues with it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to have a hole in the top. The ones from Marineland have one in the top and 2 on the sides.
The one in the top is always above water at normal levels and the 2 bigger ones on the side are below the water.

If you dont have the holes an air bubble is trapped at the top of the tube and the water doesnt have enough force to push it down.

Mine isnt made like this but it shows the same idea. The elbow on the left.
31UPpvvbRNL._AC_.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of fittings. I used 1” SDR to a 1” Socket X 1-1/4” Socket, to 1-1/4” SDR to 1-1/4” Tee. Out the top a short piece of 1-1/4” SDR. Out the side a 1-1/4“ 90 Socket X Insert. Nothing is Glued together, just push to fit. It will leak at the fittings for the first couple days, noticeable on a power failure, so watch you sump level, after that it won’t leak. Progressively drill holes going up till it stops filling drain rush and gurgling,

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the top of that tee just wide open to the air? Cap it. Drill a 3/8 hole and add 3/8 tubing with mur-lok valve to control the air. 20201115_115244.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back