DIY Frag disks

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son and I use a ton of frag disks. I find that I am paying about 40 cents a piece for them. While thats not bad for your average hobbyist, when you use 40-50 a week, it starts to add up. I have been reading that if I use Quickrete Hydraulic cement, I dont need to cure it for 6 weeks?
We did a couple of test batches with cement we had laying around. I mixed 4 parts cement, 1 part ground Oyster shell, and 1 part coral sand. We poured a line of it onto an old black garbage bag and rolled it up like a 3 foot long burrito. After it set, I brought it to the tile saw and got 75 disks from it. I would say the cost is about a penny a piece.
So the regular cement needs to now cure for a long time. But the hydraulic doesnt?
Cheers! Mark
Any input is greatly appreciated.
1596340858407.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would run in bucket of saltwater for a few days w phead just in case any leaching of"i don't know" just to be on safe side ;)

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy plastic ones for pennies. seems like a lot of time/work for frag disks?:oops:
The plastic ones blow around in the frag tank. And there is a pandemic, so I have a lot of time.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would run in bucket of saltwater for a few days w phead just in case any leaching of"i don't know" just to be on safe side ;)
Yeah, I have a 50g barrel in my yard that the RODI pumps reject water into that I use for my garden. I was thinking I would just toss a basket (or 2) of them in there. I empty the barrel almost daily.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Where's all the frags for sale?? Always have room for something new.
I am the farmer and my son has started doing the sales.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mortar or Hydraulic cement?
I used the hydraulic for my rock scape, granted I was still refinishing my stand when I built my scape, so had extra time (about 2 months) to cure my rock, however, 2 weeks would have been sufficient to cure. I cured mine in saltwater in a brute can with an extra gyre I had. At around 2 weeks it had changed from a dark gray to a light gray, never got any abnormal test readings on water either...was expecting higher po4, but never saw a spike.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran out and picked up a 10 pound bucket for $8
thumbnail.jpeg

Mixed up a quick batch with 3 parts cement and 1 part oyster shell/aragonite sand. Plopped it on an old garbage bag and rolled a bit. It is not perfectly round, but I prefer it a little asymmetrical. This will yield approx. 70 - 2 inch disks. Total time 10 minutes and about $1. Once it drys a bit, it will be off to the tile saw to slice it like a baguette.
fullsizeoutput_1e4.jpeg

Back