DIY Frag tiles?

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching ReefBuilders the other day when jake was cutting up that gold torch and he said he was using marble or limestone tiles. Anyone have a link to these? Will any tile work? I don't know if some of them have a covering on them or not.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about that but I glue three ceramic biomedia together in a triangle and then one on the bottom. It works well. The thing I attached is the pattern for on top and then glue one extending down.

ceramic media.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know about that but I glue three ceramic biomedia together in a triangle and then one on the bottom. It works well.

Interesting! Can you share pictures?

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using 4x4 and 2x6 travertine tiles for a few years. I use them full size for grow out tiles, and cut them to size for holing colonies. They’re inexpensive and readily available at the local big box stores. You can get them smaller sizes, but they’re usually glued to a backer that you have to remove and and scrape any glue from. I’d rather just have to cut them.

Bulletsponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would imagine that unfinished/unglazed tiles would work better than glazed. I would think the rough texture would be better for coral growth and adhesion. probably look a little more natural too. Might even be able to get a large sheet of the small tiles for like backsplashes and pull them off the backer to have small 1"x1" frag tiles

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using 4x4 and 2x6 travertine tiles for a few years. I use them full size for grow out tiles, and cut them to size for holing colonies. They’re inexpensive and readily available at the local big box stores. You can get them smaller sizes, but they’re usually glued to a backer that you have to remove and and scrape any glue from. I’d rather just have to cut them.
Do you have a link to the tiles you have been using?

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you just needed some cement, some salt but a larger version of it and the idea was that once it's mixed and hardened, when put it in water the salt should dissolve and what you keep is a light weight material because of all the holes (pores) that the dissolved salt created.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back