DIY Green Protein infection gone right!

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share an unexpected, but somewhat successful experiment, with promoting Green protein infection in stony corals.

I have been trying to graft corals for as long as I can remember, with no success. Not satisfied, I reached out to a couple of reefing friends that had been successful and we starting brainstorming and the topic of Green Protein Infection (GPI) came up. We laughed in disbelief at the idea, I said I was going to try, as a bit of sarcasm and never got to it. Then, I catch myself fragging a Green Pocci, while listening to an episode of Reef Therapy from @Reef Builders , and Jake talked about corals getting GPI from fragging that same coral.
It was the encouragement I needed to pull the camera and continue the joke, this time in video format. I sent the video to a couple of friends and we had another laugh.

Fast forward 3 weeks, and guess what? Yes, it worked! Well, the injections didn't work and the acro is still brown, but there were two frags of Red montipora Capricornis where it did.

I haven't injected these montis, nor any other coral besides the acro in the video, but clearly the montis were able to take the protein in.

I am very excited to experiment more with it and I am sure a some of you will too. Let me know if you try and make any progress.

PsAgiGjvlruJ7UT84AH8Aztt_lyuw4R2S5jMD7d1ysmlUYFoeEKONrvcQyOe58AztCMZkzVtGYlJuzJjlqg9oXbba57gkm8tj2yzsoCDvLNIvhjySvdguYsxcHfpERPXp2YiNxphjkQ=w2400

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back