DIY Kalk Controller

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you using to dose. And when you say dynamic dosing, I assume that means constantly changing based on variables. Can these pumps run continuously and be dynamic?

Does hydros only allow certain pumps to operate within their ecosystem?

Can you elaborate more on the stirrer and how that works?
Like I said I don't use that output myself but at this point any dosing pump you can set to run at a fixed rate when powered on will work. Hydros calls those simple dosing pumps. They have announced smart dosing pumps that come on the X10. Those can have a flow rate of less than 1ml a minute up to 100ml a minute which will be controlled by the X10. They are also bidirectional. They are stepper motor type pumps made by Kamoer. Hydros also has a simple dosing pump that runs at around 43ml a minute fixed.I have been using Intllab dosing pumps on the Hydros drive ports which are 12v ports. Here is a log from my All For Reef dosing and one for my KH dosing. The last two screenshots are for the All For Reef dosing. The dosing values entered are for total dosing for total schedule and not individual dosing times. I use alkalinity reading for determining dose. My KH Carer test 4 times a day and the dosing is scheduled to run 30 minutes after the end of the test so it will use the last reading to adjust the dose. For All For Reef I set a wide range from 7.5 to 9.5 DKH. You can also use pH for a dosing input instead but I use alkalinity. Also I mix my All For Reed half strength so it dits better with the dosing pumps. They will run longer each dose. There is also a dose you can set that the schedule will dos if the input is invalid or stale. So in this case if the Hydros does not get readings from the Kamoer cloud for the input after a set amount of time the input will be considered stale and it will dose at the rate set for that happening. You set the stale timeframe in the input settings. So they are basically scheduled dosings and not constant. You may be able to come close to that with the smart dosing pumps running at a low flow rate and dosing a lot more often. The dosing pump has to run at least 2.5 seconds per dose but with a low flow rate dosing pump that should not be too much of an issue for most.

IMG_9582.png

IMG_9583.png

IMG_9584.png

IMG_9585.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump are you using to dose. And when you say dynamic dosing, I assume that means constantly changing based on variables. Can these pumps run continuously and be dynamic?

Does hydros only allow certain pumps to operate within their ecosystem?

Can you elaborate more on the stirrer and how that works?
The stirrer is usually a stirrer magnet coupled with a motor underneath the Kalk reactor. My understanding it is run occasionally to stir the kalk. I have not used one personally but there has been some discussions on setting one up using the Hydros output for it on their facebook group. So there are a some people using it. You can use any output the stirrer you have is compatible with. The soon to be released iV from Hydros will have a stirrer that connect to their 12v drive port but you can use a AC outlet on a XP8 or wifi strip to power one also. I personally would either use the 12v drive port or an XP8 outlet since those do not depend on a wifi signal. I use their wifi power strips but not on anything that on and off times are critical such as ATO, AWC, dosing and solenoids for RODI.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@n2585722 thanks for your detailed response and helping me understand hydros a bit better. It seems that they are extracting some things from ghl as well as apex and putting their own unique spin on it.

They're definitely an up and comer with potential. I'm keeping my eye on them. I had a hydros x4 but I didn't keep it long. I got rid of it when I concluded it is still in its infancy. I even had conversation with Carlos about trying to add a few things to get it for perform some basic functions. But it was added to the list with no promise of implementation.

Not that I expected them to jump through hoops, it's just something you'd expect to have from the start.

Granted if the prices are still competitive, I'll have to revisit them in a couple years.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have some data on the pH probes at that high of pH please share :).
Ok, so I have some more information on the probes. They actually arrived today.

They use a tyvek frit opposed to a ceramic frit. It was explained that the kalkwasser clogs those.

The probes are from atlas scientific and it will replace their #ENV-30-pH probe, but will be a while before they're stocked because they have to run through the old probes (apparently it's going to be the same part number)

It's a bit early to even know these are worthy replacements for any other hobby grade probe, but it calibrated quickly and doesn't seem to move from 12.44 after being in the solution for 7+ hours.

If you're eager to get one now, I remember you saying that you've reached out to them before. You may want to ask to get one. I spoke with Jordan via email. But I'm sure anyone would be fine to talk to.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update, 13 days later and the pH probe with the tyvek frit is still holding surprisingly steady.

I refilled the reactor with 1 lb of kalk 7 days ago, based on kalk pH (12.35) and so far, every time I walk in to check on it, it's holding steady.

After 7 days it went from 12.46 to 12.42.

20230923_110234.jpg

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread, I had never bothered with ph. I have used kalkwasser in top off for years with fresh air intake for skimmer and figured it is what it is.
I read you build thread which lead me to purchase a ph controller and set up the litermeter. The system is very basic. I will be changing a lot of diapers, wiping the butt and smearing on the butt paste.
Thanks for taking the time to post

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back