DIY Kalk Controller

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about the last 4 months, I've been tinkering with a controller that will adjust the effluent through a kalk reactor based on input from a pH probe inside the tank.

It all started as a conversation about pH being the parameter that we need to be focusing on instead of DKH. At the time I wasn't quite convinced that maintaining a stable pH throughout out a 24h period was going to make much difference, and because you're using calcium hydroxide to raise pH, you're also elevating calcium carbonate.

Over the last few months I started finding videos on this very subject, and it certainly seems Chris Meckley has been beating the drum for this concept. He certainly has had time to experiment with various methods and has had great success with hydroxides to raise and maintain the pH in his tanks. I was also surprised to hear that he had DKH in excess of 13+ without negative effects on his corals. Of course, if anyone is familiar with his methods, he seems to prefer mixing calcium hydroxide to saturation in a large container and then dose that into his tanks. And he has sworn off kalk reactors because it's difficult to get and maintain 12.4pH inside the reactor.

After thinking about it, I concluded that his approach made dosing calcium hydroxide to maintain pH unattainable for people that don't have room for large storage containers. You would have to compromise and have a small container that you'd have to mix [to saturation] and fill almost daily.

My approach to this hobby is less work makes for a more enjoyable experience. I view mundane daily chores as 'butts to wipe'. And when you're overwhelmed with more time wiping and less time enjoying the fruits of your labor, it's no longer fun!

Because I wanted to explore stable pH and wanting to limit the number of butts to wipe, I decided to challenge this approach and team up with a programmer to make a controller that will work with a kalk reactor so that you can load up kalk powder in a reactor and get the benefits of a large 50g storage container in the small footprint of a kalk reactor.

Although I stated that a small footprint is ideal, I personally have the realestate to make an over the top reactor, because if you know me, then you know I like making things. But the idea of this project is that anyone can use their current kalk reactor and add this controller to their system.

I don't want to gloss over the fact that none of this would've been possible without the help of a guy that has become a friend of mine that is an awesome programmer. If it wasn't for him, none of this would've been possible. It definitely had to be difficult to take my outrageous requests and put it into code. There have been a lot of compromises thus far but with his vast knowledge in the world of arduino coding, he has made this project better than I could've imagined.

Here is a short video of the 5' tall Nilsen (Kalk) Reactor and the first version of the controller.

This next video explains in a little more detail how the controller works. I tried to keep it simple but went off into the weeds a couple times. But hopefully you get the gist of how it works.

As I work out the bugs the goal here is to provide everything needed for folks that want to make one of these for themselves. I'm going to put together a BOM, all the stl files for the base and command center, and step by step easy to follow instructions to upload the code as well as putting it altogether.

With that being said, if there are people out there familiar with circuit board design, I would love to integrate an easier solution to all the components that make up the entire project to limit all the soldering and make plugging things in easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as a reference you can see how despite all my tinkering and fine tuning, the 0.15 difference between day and night. And hopefully with more work, I'll get the sine wave even tighter.

Screenshot_20220919-153343_APEX Fusion.jpg

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been working diligently on this project. Refining calibration procedures, squashing bugs in the software, and 2 big ones that I’m proud of.

1st is that some of you that have been reading the thread know that this controller piggybacks off of apex to read the tank pH (It was decided that this would save the cost of another pH probe and circuitry involved). I was able to borrow a profilux 4 so that I can wrap my mind around its user interface and figure out how to tap into the pH reading as well. I’m happy to say that we can now read from both Apex or GHL.

The 2nd is that I asked if anyone was willing to lend a hand on creating a custom printed circuit board, and no one chimed in. Which led me to look into the process.

Turns out, it’s a lot of work. Luckily there are great step by step instructions online. I was able to download the software and fumble my way through understanding the cad. It took about a week to go from concept to having the gerber files to send to a fab house. But I happy to report that the custom PCBs are already on their way. Here are some photos of what they should look like.

Kalk Controller front.jpg

Kalk Controller Back.jpg

Once that gets here, I will have everything I need to solder all the components on and test out how well I designed the pcb. Turns out that first runs always have some flaw that was overlooked. It’s rare to get one that works the way it was intended. And with this being my first go at it, I’m not optimistic to think this one will be flawless.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After clicking refresh on the DHL package tracking site, I finally got the PCB's. They turned out great!

20221013_175045.jpg

20221013_175027.jpg

And because I was prepared, all the stuff from digikey arrived earlier in the week. I started pulling out all the parts needed to be soldered and I made short work of that task.

20221013_174337.jpg

The next part was a bit more tedious. Before adding all the sub components, I had to make sure voltages were where they needed to be and traces in the right spots.

Luckily everything pinned out correctly so I started adding all the other parts and tested, adjusting trim pots accordingly.

20221013_174959.jpg
20221013_174936.jpg

The next part I was dreading. All the ghl and apex ports needed to be pinned out correctly, so that the proper signals were going to the appropriate places. I kept thinking that I messed up and mirrored the pins...

There was a minor issue with the silk screen labeling that mixed the 2 ghl ports but other than that they worked as expected.

I was able to power it on and upload the correct software.

20221013_222611.jpg

I'm quite pleased. I have a list of minor changes that need to be made to the PCB to accommodate a more professional finish like lining up all the ports, tightening up the through holes for soldering, some spacing issues etc... but all in all, I can actually use this circuit as it's intended. Now "form" will take center stage so that the case that houses it all can bundle it up in a nice form fitting fashion. @bluerider098 is on the case (pun intended). He's shared an early rendition of his approach and I think we'll all be amazed with what he turns out.

Let me leave you with this quick video showcasing where I'm at...

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you feed the kalk reactor? I too use a “version of kalk slurry” but I use it via my ato. It does keep my ph very stable. But not as stable as your will be.
following along

corey

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After clicking refresh on the DHL package tracking site, I finally got the PCB's. They turned out great!

20221013_175045.jpg

20221013_175027.jpg

And because I was prepared, all the stuff from digikey arrived earlier in the week. I started pulling out all the parts needed to be soldered and I made short work of that task.

20221013_174337.jpg

The next part was a bit more tedious. Before adding all the sub components, I had to make sure voltages were where they needed to be and traces in the right spots.

Luckily everything pinned out correctly so I started adding all the other parts and tested, adjusting trim pots accordingly.

20221013_174959.jpg
20221013_174936.jpg

The next part I was dreading. All the ghl and apex ports needed to be pinned out correctly, so that the proper signals were going to the appropriate places. I kept thinking that I messed up and mirrored the pins...

There was a minor issue with the silk screen labeling that mixed the 2 ghl ports but other than that they worked as expected.

I was able to power it on and upload the correct software.

20221013_222611.jpg

I'm quite pleased. I have a list of minor changes that need to be made to the PCB to accommodate a more professional finish like lining up all the ports, tightening up the through holes for soldering, some spacing issues etc... but all in all, I can actually use this circuit as it's intended. Now "form" will take center stage so that the case that houses it all can bundle it up in a nice form fitting fashion. @bluerider098 is on the case (pun intended). He's shared an early rendition of his approach and I think we'll all be amazed with what he turns out.

Let me leave you with this quick video showcasing where I'm at...

Following..... I don't have a GHL System. Will your controller board work just as good if I am using an Apex System alone? Is the reason why you set this up to work with BOTH the GHL and the Apex system controllers because you wanted more confidence in the pH value returned to your controller board ?

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you feed the kalk reactor?
I'm not clear if you're asking what pump I'm using to send rodi water to the reactor or if you're asking how I refill the kalk reactor. I'll answer both.

The Kalk Controller is in complete control of the peristaltic pump. I've designed and printed a peristaltic pump that uses a lot of design concepts from the ecotech versa. And that's what I'm currently using.

Here's an earlier version of it:

DISCLAIMER: I WILL NOT SHARE THIS DESIGN WITH ANYONE. PLEASE DON'T ASK

The idea that this controller will be shared with anyone that wants to make one, I wanted to keep the skill level requirements low. And because of that, I purchased a bunch of stepper controlled peristaltic pumps to test, and the one I landed on is the kamoer KPHM which is only a $40 pump that will rival any $300+ peristaltic pump out there. It has proven to be extremely reliable, and it lives up to the quality you'd expect from the kamoer line of pumps.

Loading the reactor is still a manual process. But when you press [what I've dubbed] the "5th button" it initiates a refill sequence that halts pump operation and speeds up the stirrer for a designated amount of time so that I can load calcium hydroxide. And after whatever time you selected for the refill event expires it resumes normal operations.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following..... I don't have a GHL System. Will your controller board work just as good if I am using an Apex System alone? Is the reason why you set this up to work with BOTH the GHL and the Apex system controllers because you wanted more confidence in the pH value returned to your controller board ?
I'm glad you brought this up! I may have given the wrong impression. I wanted to make this open for people with either a GHL profilux4 or an Apex.

I'm far more familiar with Apex Fusion and this initially was only going to work with that controller but after showing this off to the locals, they were interested but wanted to be able to use it with their Profilux4. Although the GHL approach to control is completely different than Apex, after a lot of reading and experimenting I was able to take the signals from them so that the Kalk Controller can read the pH from either platform.

I also was able to attach to the MD8 (Apex) and MD6 (Profilux) sockets so that the Kalk controller can send signals to both so that you can have your Apex or Profilux send a push notification when the pH inside the reactor goes below 12.35. As well as send a push notification when your daily evaporation has been reached.

If you have an Apex and you want push notifications, you will connect to the MD8 socket. And if you want push notifications from the Profilux4 you connect to the MD6 socket.

Same goes for the pH input but that one isn't an option, you have to connect to one of them or else you're flying blind.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you went with the direct connection in stead of just reading the Apex RSS feed? does GHL offer similar?
There's no wifi or ble for this project. direct connection was the only option.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! The new v2 pcb arrived today

20221025_120023.jpg

and I'm happy to report that all of the traces are correct now. And thanks to the help of @bluerider098 applying his solidworks skills to the case, we made some improvements like aligning all the sockets and his clever way of securing all the circuit boards we added a couple more things to this pcb.

Just like before, I made short work of soldering everything onto the new board.

20221025_152449.jpg

20221025_152454.jpg

I love the way everything came together, there are already small things I want to change, but I won't do any of that until I get some beta testers and we start putting this guy through its paces.

Let me leave you with this quick video showcasing some of the functionality as well as the beautiful case!

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Alright! The new v2 pcb arrived today

20221025_120023.jpg

and I'm happy to report that all of the traces are correct now. And thanks to the help of @bluerider098 applying his solidworks skills to the case, we made some improvements like aligning all the sockets and his clever way of securing all the circuit boards we added a couple more things to this pcb.

Just like before, I made short work of soldering everything onto the new board.

20221025_152449.jpg

20221025_152454.jpg

I love the way everything came together, there are already small things I want to change, but I won't do any of that until I get some beta testers and we start putting this guy through its paces.

Let me leave you with this quick video showcasing some of the functionality as well as the beautiful case!

impressive work!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool and congrats!

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about a year or two behind you. I have been reading and watching alot of video on Chris Meckley's pH approach. At this point, I am looking to build just an arduino for pH tracking without the use of an APEX. Were you happy with the Atlas Scientific Gravity or Eno boards?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back