DIY Large Roller Mat Filter for Reef tank

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, yes I have been wondering how to get this done myself and you have done a good job.
May have to see if I can do this.
Thx foe posting you DIY
Not hard at all just depends on your gph etc. I might start making them for people if the demand is there. Gives me so ammo with the CNC talk with my wife lol.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sky is the limit it can be designed based on system need,

I guess my only concern would be what could leach out of the filter paper.
As this is not designed to be used as food grade materials it could have chemical additives for longevity or strength that could leach harmful contaminants.
Or maybe I am just making to much out of it?

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As this is not designed to be used as food grade materials it could have chemical additives for longevity or strength that could leach harmful contaminants.
It's the same roll that all the big box ones are using.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Probably making too much of it. Its just polyester or similar fiber, not much that would need to be added for any purpose.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just not strong enough. I'm looking at the
x-carve by inventables. It's a larger table top and promise for upgrades

For sheet work that gives you a lot of travel. Limited Z height pretty much limits it to sheet work, and that frame isn't very rigid. Looks like a good option though :)

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont think it's very rigid? How so?

Very light weight aluminum frame, belt driven axis. This won't be a problem cutting wood and plastics (thicker may want to use multiple passes anyway). I wouldn't count on it for anything requiring more cutting force (even aluminum sheet) or dimensional accuracy below .05" or so, but thats not going to be a problem for your use case.

I'm very much into metal machining now so I just see things through a different lens, you should ignore me ;)

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very light weight aluminum frame, belt driven axis. This won't be a problem cutting wood and plastics (thicker may want to use multiple passes anyway). I wouldn't count on it for anything requiring more cutting force (even aluminum sheet) or dimensional accuracy below .05" or so, but thats not going to be a problem for your use case.

I'm very much into metal machining now so I just see things through a different lens, you should ignore me ;)
That's great info. Thank you. I'm looking for a table top machine that I can do aluminum as well. Maybe keep looking then

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I finished @ravi197699 rollermatt for him and its on his monster system. Another happy hobbiest. Video in action..

37916.jpeg

Travi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bigger motor? I like how you have the filter covering the entire bottom, that's a cool design.

Have you thought about printing an enclosure for the motor?

OP
OP
R

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this rollermat, I installed this in my sump and it took me less tank 15 min to install, water input and let the float switch do the work, plenty of surface area for watr to drain and I like the smart design of PVC pipes that acts like baffle and spreads water evenly on the paper without any splashing. Thanks to Rich who designed this for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back