DIY led actinc "strip light" T5 supplement question

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to wrap up the lighting portion of my build (180gal 72x28x21 DPS dominate). I was going to use just 8 LET MIRO4 60" T5's (already purchased) however am now thinking I may go with 6 t5s and build 2 60" diy led acting strips (it will be in a canopy which is why I am looking at diy vs. a pair of reefbrites).

My main goals are of course coral "pop" and adding some shimmer to my tank.

I am unsure how many leds per foot are recommended for a setup like this, and would I be best to use all RB, or mix in some of the 410nM HyperViolet leds. I was thinking the following configuration per every foot:

Rb Rb HV Rb Rb

Any suggestions or comments that can help me? I have done a few DIY led projects but it was back when you just bought rb/cw chips at a 4:1 ratio - was pretty straight forward.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure, but probably a question that someone on the #reefsquad can help with.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're after a more dramatic look including shimmer (a form of shading) then T5 is probably the wrong place to start with your lights. In fact you can do the whole thing in LED's and get the same look you're after.

But in keeping with the current plan, I think I'd suggest a 2:1 blue:white. No need for anything fancier than that. 4:1 is crazy blue though...can't imagine that being good to look at. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with reeferfoxx she's a builder.
Personally I'd go with an 8-10k white and a second string of blues in the color range you like(royal, deep, aqua) and just specs them evenly. Ant get the ines you can put lenses on. It's just a stunner strip so you just want a bit of intensity to match the other light and not impact the par greatly. Just space them to the tank with a best guess or several clusters. Like four sets of four.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having said that....has anyone else noticed the "full spectrum" (oh lord) bead LED's for sale? I think the ones I saw specifically were ordinary-looking 3w beads, but they definitely had an unusual tint.

They're advertising a range of color from UV up to IR from the same bead...but totally without detail or specifics.

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan for these were to replace 2 ATI actinic bulbs for a sunrise / sunset led strip. Not looking to add much for par, but more visual effects.

If I went with a 8 bulb fixture it would be something along the lines of:
ACTINIC
B+
B+
C+
P+
B+
B+
ACTINIC

Thanks
Dave

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go with a whiter look than 4:1/B:W. Sunrise and sunset are red/yellow if anything. ;)

Perhaps add some 420nm into the mix of 450nm's so you maximize what pop you get, but I'd still keep at least 1:1 whites for the best overall look.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having said that....has anyone else noticed the "full spectrum" (oh lord) bead LED's for sale? I think the ones I saw specifically were ordinary-looking 3w beads, but they definitely had an unusual tint.

They're advertising a range of color from UV up to IR from the same bead...but totally without detail or specifics.
Nope i have not, Link?

My main goals are of course coral "pop" and adding some shimmer to my tank.
I like your idea but(I hate buts) doing strips of RB and/or UV isn't going to give you any shimmer. In fact the blue spectrum would only add to coral pop. It would be the white diodes that would help with shimmer. Now, doing strips on either side would only give you shimmer in a limited space in the front and back of the tank.

Since you already purchased the new light fixture and your plan is sound, there are other options for what you want to do without dropping the money for reefbrights.

These populargrow strips might fit the package, although they only reach 21", 33", and 45". So you can do either two 45" or four 33". Up to you. Otherwise DIY it :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/54W-81W-10...d=322592842869&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

What I like about these is you can switch diodes easily. The link I provided is the all blue 470nm strip. However, I like your idea of including cyan, rb, p, and maybe some 420nm UV(partial uv anyway). Only caveat is these aren't dimmable.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made something similar to what you are looking for. I have 6ft tank with 8 x80 T5s that replaced Ocean Revive LEDs. Tank looks awesome and everything grows great. The only thing missing was the "pop" you get with LEDs. I made a 72" lightbar from the guts of one of the Ocean Revives and use it for sunrise/sunset. It gives the tank a beautiful blue to start and end the day. I don't think it makes any difference on coral growth but it makes everything glow when the T5s are off. I used mostly 450 to 470 diodes with 2 hyper reds just to add some drama.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of Hamilton's LED RETROFIT KITS
Kona%209%20LED-500x500-140x140.jpg

...in case you want a name brand. Price is not similar, however. ;)

@reeferfoxx I can't find it now.... Gr. The "horticultural folks" appear to throw around the term full spectrum even more than we do, so I have to guess it's related to their "standard" of full spectrum. I doubt it has anything to do with improving CRI, unfortunately.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I will stick with just 8 T5's and call it a day. I wanted simple... And my retro t5 is about as simple as it gets I guess.
If you ever get tired of the muted T5 look, you could always add a couple COB(kessil) leds in the mix. That will bring out the shimmer. If you don't want the price of kessil the Lumini Asta 20 can be modified to fit in small spaces.
61biLex9-xL._SL1300_.jpg
You can remove the gooseneck and just have the heatsink and led. Its only about 2.5-3" diameter. There is a planted 6500k for $44 or the marine version for $55
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Ast...e=UTF8&qid=1509754436&sr=8-2&keywords=asta+20

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used current orbit marine pro. 1/4 - in thick. 3in wide.
No soldering.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back