DIY LED build help

meph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello... i have a 48 x 18 x 12H tank and i want to upgrade to LEDs.. now sure how I should lay out the bulbs and how many bulbs i would need. I have mostly LPS and some SPS. Is there a way to calculate it?

Any insight would be appreciated.. TIA

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
visit Page not found « ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lightinghey got a lot of diy and help you'll need for your build.

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello... i have a 48 x 18 x 12H tank and i want to upgrade to LEDs.. now sure how I should lay out the bulbs and how many bulbs i would need. I have mostly LPS and some SPS. Is there a way to calculate it?

Any insight would be appreciated.. TIA

The most important thing is coverage. Using Cree 3W LEDs a good formula is to multiply (length X width) and divide by 16. In your case (48 X 18)/16=54.

I would arrange them in 3 rows of 18 in each row. I highly recommend 2 royal blue to 1 white alternating RB RB W RB RB W etc etc.

The tricky part for you is going to be its a shallow tank at 12" and intensity could be a problem so height of the fixture, dimming capability and drive current will be key.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important thing is coverage. Using Cree 3W LEDs a good formula is to multiply (length X width) and divide by 16. In your case (48 X 18)/16=54.

I would arrange them in 3 rows of 18 in each row. I highly recommend 2 royal blue to 1 white alternating RB RB W RB RB W etc etc.

The tricky part for you is going to be its a shallow tank at 12" and intensity could be a problem so height of the fixture, dimming capability and drive current will be key.

+1 to onedesign's comment

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back