DIY LED for 40 breeder question

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall,
I'm setting up a 40 breeder frag tank and am hoping to go LED. My display tank is DIY LED lit but it was made several year ago and the technology has moved quite a bit. The tank will be housing mostly acro and monti frags from my display. What are your thoughts on how many Cree XT-Es I'll need to light it?

I was planning to do between 28-36 with even ratio of RB to CW, but since have had some suggestions from the retailer to use 2:1 ratio of RB to NW and only use a total of 24 LEDs. I am not sure this will be enough. Also is a 2:1 RB/NW setup better than a 1:1 RB/CW? My display has been running on CW and RB only for 2 years now and it seems happy. What are your thoughts??

Blake11rebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a more 14 k look and when I was running 1:1 ratio or rb and cw it was more 8 to 10 k. It grew coral great tho but the leds werent DIY and had 55 leds on a 30g. Are you planning on adding any other colors deep red, green, or violet?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a lot of research and hands on testing and have come to the conclusion that the 450nm Royal Blue simply rocks.

Other Royal Blue...460-465nm Dont give the colour pop...

Corals also use this spectrum for growth. Given the Cree XT-E is three times as bright as the 420nm, I consider it the primary Grow LED...

Personally when using the more efficient Cree XT-E LED I would pass on the NW as they are way yellow. If you want a little red toss in some warm white.

Personally I like this mix which would work well on a 40 breeder with a 30" heatsink.

-24 Cree XT-E RB Binned at 450 nm
-6 XP-E Blue
-15 Cree XT-E Cool White Binned at 7.5K

Bill

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note what is the difference between XP-E and XP-G

And does it matter that I am using ldd 1000 drivers not ldd 700

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Performance wise the XT-E is very close to the XP-G. The XP-G depending on bin at 700mA is only 2%Brighter.

I prefer the XT-E as its newer and offers a better thermal management also the with XT-E we can more easily secure the cooler Bins we prefer for our reefs.

Both are rated for 1500mA max

As far as the XP-E its rated for only 1000mA max

The LDD 1000 will work fine with the XP-G, XT-E & XP-E

I prefer 700mA for efficiency for these LEDs, 1000mA also works with a little less efficiency and is the max for the XP-E.

Bill

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, very helpful. Can you compare the XPE nd XPG in terms of output being driven at 700?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back