DIY LED for 40 breeder question

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall,
I'm setting up a 40 breeder frag tank and am hoping to go LED. My display tank is DIY LED lit but it was made several year ago and the technology has moved quite a bit. The tank will be housing mostly acro and monti frags from my display. What are your thoughts on how many Cree XT-Es I'll need to light it?

I was planning to do between 28-36 with even ratio of RB to CW, but since have had some suggestions from the retailer to use 2:1 ratio of RB to NW and only use a total of 24 LEDs. I am not sure this will be enough. Also is a 2:1 RB/NW setup better than a 1:1 RB/CW? My display has been running on CW and RB only for 2 years now and it seems happy. What are your thoughts??

Blake11rebel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a more 14 k look and when I was running 1:1 ratio or rb and cw it was more 8 to 10 k. It grew coral great tho but the leds werent DIY and had 55 leds on a 30g. Are you planning on adding any other colors deep red, green, or violet?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing a lot of research and hands on testing and have come to the conclusion that the 450nm Royal Blue simply rocks.

Other Royal Blue...460-465nm Dont give the colour pop...

Corals also use this spectrum for growth. Given the Cree XT-E is three times as bright as the 420nm, I consider it the primary Grow LED...

Personally when using the more efficient Cree XT-E LED I would pass on the NW as they are way yellow. If you want a little red toss in some warm white.

Personally I like this mix which would work well on a 40 breeder with a 30" heatsink.

-24 Cree XT-E RB Binned at 450 nm
-6 XP-E Blue
-15 Cree XT-E Cool White Binned at 7.5K

Bill

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note what is the difference between XP-E and XP-G

And does it matter that I am using ldd 1000 drivers not ldd 700

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Performance wise the XT-E is very close to the XP-G. The XP-G depending on bin at 700mA is only 2%Brighter.

I prefer the XT-E as its newer and offers a better thermal management also the with XT-E we can more easily secure the cooler Bins we prefer for our reefs.

Both are rated for 1500mA max

As far as the XP-E its rated for only 1000mA max

The LDD 1000 will work fine with the XP-G, XT-E & XP-E

I prefer 700mA for efficiency for these LEDs, 1000mA also works with a little less efficiency and is the max for the XP-E.

Bill

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, very helpful. Can you compare the XPE nd XPG in terms of output being driven at 700?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back