DIY magnetic light switch help

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the supplies to make a magnetic light switch for under one of my tank. But I have no idea how to wire it :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Here are the parts I bought:
IMG_5986.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I'd do assuming that voltage supply is compatible with the switch....and I'd assume it is. Simply wire one of the leads off the DC side of that power supply through the switch.....and continue to the light rope. Determine what two screws are for normally open and you're good to go. Normally open would be for the switch to be "off" when the two parts are next to each other (ie, the door is closed.) Hope this helps.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I'd do assuming that voltage supply is compatible with the switch....and I'd assume it is. Simply wire one of the leads off the DC side of that power supply through the switch.....and continue to the light rope. Determine what two screws are for normally open and you're good to go. Normally open would be for the switch to be "off" when the two parts are next to each other (ie, the door is closed.) Hope this helps.

How do I run the wire from the power supply to the switch to the light rope? How do I connect the wire to the power supply and to the rope light?

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power supply plugs into the bottom of this, the lights plug into the 4 holes at the top.

IMG_5991.JPG

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need one question answered before proceeding. That last photo now tells me you have a wireless controller. Can the lights be turned on and off by unplugging the high voltage plug....or do you now have to use the controller to turn them back on? You can test this now with the lights still on the spool. Plug everything together and see if that works.

By the way, that's a very long spool of lights....maybe 30 feet....and very bright as well. I know they can be cut every x number of LEDs.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need one question answered before proceeding. That last photo now tells me you have a wireless controller. Can the lights be turned on and off by unplugging the high voltage plug....or do you now have to use the controller to turn them back on? You can test this now with the lights still on the spool. Plug everything together and see if that works.

By the way, that's a very long spool of lights....maybe 30 feet....and very bright as well. I know they can be cut every x number of LEDs.

Doh!!! I thought about that then forgot. I remember seeing some of the reviews stating the lights stayed in the on position after power loss, but don't remember which ones I bought.

That is why I love posting here :D

And yes, I was planning on cutting it shorter. Thought if I got this one to work I would have extra lights to fix another tank (or kitchen cabinet lol).

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be brutally honest.....I think there are better options than this one for stand lighting. This being RGB LED rope, typically you can cut every 9 LEDs. In a six foot stand, I cant see more that 27 or these LED's being used....and that still would be very bright. The remaining can't be used unless you now purchase another power supply, wireless unit, and harnesses. In addition, assuming the power can be turned on and off and the lights would come back on, you would need to splice (cut into the wires and at a minimum, cut one) into the low voltage wire coming off the power supply and either directly attach one of the wires to the switch (using COM and NO), or attach additional wire to this splice that runs to the switch. And finally, unless you're also looking for mood lighting, I'm not sure why you'd want the ability to change colors inside your stand.

If all you wish to do is to have light inside your stand, here's a fixture I just put up in my wife's closet.....a battery operated, motion detection LED fixture that cost around $8. All it took was two screws and I was done. The head portion has 12 LEDs and is bendable as is the motions sensor eye. When you open your stand, your motion would cause this light to light.

And if the above doesn't float your boat, there are other options available.

If you have other uses for this long roll of LED's, I'd use them in that project. I use something like this to ring my screened in porch....has a very nice effect when sitting out there on a warm summer evening.

If you wish to proceed with the LED rope, I'm more than happy to explain in greater detail how to do it.

OP
OP
SandJ

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I have these under two of my tanks ;)

IMG_6001.JPG

I appreciate all your help @redfishbluefish . I think i now see how to get it all hooked up. This strand was actually cheaper than any other. It was less than $20 for everything so I thought I would give it a shot. Funny how these projects are easier in theory lol

I may change directions and run these in the kitchen cabinets :D

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the magnetic switch idea. I have a dj switch board under my tank and my light has a dedicated switch with that. I use rope lights, I can twist them and turn them to get more output in certain spots if like. Works great.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are pretty simple to wire up. I wrote a DIY article about it but it never got published.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back