DIY plywood build questions

gators94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to build a plywood tank and have been watching tons of videos and reading all the forums. I’m looking for any tips or advice when building. I originally wanted it to be 96x36x36. However I was given a sheet of 1/2 inch tempered glass that is 95x44. Would this be too thin for a 96x44x36 build with a fill level of around 38”?

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I could be mistaken, but I believe that 1/2" glass will indeed be too thin for your application.

OP
OP
G

gators94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was worried of that. I wasn’t sure if it being tempered would allow me to push it a little.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yeah I was worried of that. I wasn’t sure if it being tempered would allow me to push it a little.

That's not my area of expertise, so hopefully someone that would know better will chime in. However, I am well versed in making plywood tanks (mostly large frag tanks and sumps) so if you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out. I'd be happy to help.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempered glass is much stronger (5-10x) than regular annealed glass. The biggest drawback to using tempered glass in a fish tank is that if it fails, it is instant and catastrophic. If you brace it all the way around I think it would handle it but it’s easy for me to say that from here without any risk to my living room. I’ve not found a good glass calculator for calculating loads with different variables (euro braced, tempered, laminated…). I have my structural engineer run calculations for the staircases I build but paying one to run calculations on it would probably cost a grand on its own.

OP
OP
G

gators94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info! The plan would be to euro brace and brace the back and sides with 2x4

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back