DIY Plywood Stand Plan Critique (Nuvo 40)

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I would leave your original idea of raising the bottom a few inches inside the stand. This gives you a little space under the stand for air flow in case water does spill under there a little. Then, you can leave the bottom few inches open in the back to allow air flow under there. You could put really low profile plastic feet around the bottom edges of the stand, or that thick felt people put under furniture legs... this would also allow you to slide the stand on the floor without damaging the floor beneath (doesn't work with carpet though)

2. I built my stand so the aquarium sits slightly down into the stand to hide the edges of my rimmed tank. That's a little harder to do with the plywood design without doing a second skin all the way around the stand! So, that really only leaves you the option to build the trim up to hide your tank frame.
Thank you for the tips and suggestions. As for the plastic feet, will I need more than just putting them on the 4 corners? Maybe like spacing them every few inches around the bottom?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips and suggestions. As for the plastic feet, will I need more than just putting them on the 4 corners? Maybe like spacing them every few inches around the bottom?

I would space them more than just at the corners in order to transfer the weight around on your floors underneath. Is the stand sitting on carpet, tile, or hardwoods floors?

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would space them more than just at the corners in order to transfer the weight around on your floors underneath. Is the stand sitting on carpet, tile, or hardwoods floors?
Hardwood floor, well, engineered hardwood floor :)

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardwood floor, well, engineered hardwood floor :)

Yep, you definitely want to get a little air flow under that stand so any water spillage under there doesn't run your floors. Here's another option... these felt pads can be cut into strips and covet s little more surface area for weight transfer... and slide nicely on hardwood floors. I just happened to have an extra pack I was going to return to Lowe's tomorrow, lol
20171020_165452.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, finished majority of the structure, still need to add a door (shaker most likely) and prime & paint.

Went simple in terms of trim, i don't have a miter saw either so just used some 1x3 poplar and some outside corner trim :)

Probably also gonna add some shaker style trim on the sides, sort of like those kitchen cabinet endpiece.
542a70208ca181b9d0ba52b87212ca5d.jpg
Nice work

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, you definitely want to get a little air flow under that stand so any water spillage under there doesn't run your floors. Here's another option... these felt pads can be cut into strips and covet s little more surface area for weight transfer... and slide nicely on hardwood floors. I just happened to have an extra pack I was going to return to Lowe's tomorrow, lol
20171020_165452.jpg
That should work, I will pick up some when getting the floetrol. Just finished first coat of paint, definitely need to smooth out those brush marks...

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I want it to move though? Sounds like dangerous when people come over and starts leaning against the tank? Maybe I'm over thinking...

Mine is not easy to move, but I have moved in a little over two years because I need to do some upgraded to some wiring and run a cat5 behind the tank. Other wise I would have had to break down the tank. Put a sign up "No leaning on the tank":D:D People would think that people would be looking at the tank more than leaning.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work, I will pick up some when getting the floetrol. Just finished first coat of paint, definitely need to smooth out those brush marks...

Do a quick sanding between coats with a 250 grit sandpaper and the finish will be awesome. Then put 3-4 coats on it! Remember when painting... the first coat is for coverage, the additional coats are to improve the finish.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can't get it to a smooth finish like I wanted, but it wasn't terrible either... I can't afford more time on it since I need to move my old tank out of the old place.

Let's just call it a "distressed" finish ;)

But I seem to have a problem, the top is not flat.. there is a small "hump" toward the center of the top. Therefore when I placed the empty tank on the stand, there are gaps between the corners of the tank and the stand, about 1/16" :(

What are my options...
fb9f4dc376852bad81db13f08870489a.jpg

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nuvo 40, there's already a foam on the bottom of the tank.

Will putting a thicker foam solve this issue?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe take the top plywood board off and shim under that side and then reattach when you have it level?

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know where the problem is, the center bracing. I remember sanding down the edge a bit because it was protruding out a little from the front frame. I'm gonna try to take that off and see if it makes the top level... Do I need a center bracing anyways for tank this size?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know where the problem is, the center bracing. I remember sanding down the edge a bit because it was protruding out a little from the front frame. I'm gonna try to take that off and see if it makes the top level... Do I need a center bracing anyways for tank this size?

Probably wouldn't hurt to keep the center brace. If its protruding up, that would definitely bow the middle. Several options to fix it then.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably wouldn't hurt to keep the center brace. If its protruding up, that would definitely bow the middle. Several options to fix it then.
I will most likely try to remove that center brace and install a new one making sure it's straight...
The problem is though it's glued to the sides (but fortunately not to the top). My plan is to cut it as close to the sides as possible, any other advice/suggestions?

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I filled the tank with some water and the gap is still there :( also noticed the mat is thinner toward the corners, is this normal?

907e24b033367faf1e2f45a4a9a189ff.jpg
ecb9b9b2b7d75e454014ac466204b82c.jpg

gencarson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some liner for kitchen drawers to even out a couple spots. I was worried it was going to go further off level as things settled, but it looks like gravity did its thing and leveled right out.

Rrb1399

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Preparing to build a stand for my new IM Nuvo 40, after hours of research I've decided to go with all 3/4 inch plywood. It seems for a tank this size, 2x4's are not necessary. I don't have a planer nor jointer, and I don't want to deal with the 2x4's being not square/straight...

No sump, will just use the inside space for some ATO and 2 part dosing containers.
I will probably add a shelf.
I will add a top piece (24" x 20"), it's just not shown here.
Will also add a bottom piece on the inside.
Will use wood glue, pocket hole, nails to hold everything together.

I didn't find many DIY plan for the plywood stands, so I made one, please critique!

Nuvo_40_Stand_Plywood.PNG

My questions:
1. Not sure if it's necessary to double up the sides?
2. Double up the back as well?
3. Since only some wires and tubes are going from back to inside the stand, I was thinking to just drill a few 1" holes for the pass-through?
4. Are the vertical pieces in the front frame too wide (4")? this only leaves about 13" wide opening.
5. Plan is to paint it white and add some trim to hide the plywood edges, does plywood need primer?
6. Is the top center bracing needed?

Thanks in advance!
Chen
Do you still have this cut file ? I’d like to make this stand

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back