DIY Plywood Stand Plan Critique (Nuvo 40)

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Preparing to build a stand for my new IM Nuvo 40, after hours of research I've decided to go with all 3/4 inch plywood. It seems for a tank this size, 2x4's are not necessary. I don't have a planer nor jointer, and I don't want to deal with the 2x4's being not square/straight...

No sump, will just use the inside space for some ATO and 2 part dosing containers.
I will probably add a shelf.
I will add a top piece (24" x 20"), it's just not shown here.
Will also add a bottom piece on the inside.
Will use wood glue, pocket hole, nails to hold everything together.

I didn't find many DIY plan for the plywood stands, so I made one, please critique!

Nuvo_40_Stand_Plywood.PNG

My questions:
1. Not sure if it's necessary to double up the sides?
2. Double up the back as well?
3. Since only some wires and tubes are going from back to inside the stand, I was thinking to just drill a few 1" holes for the pass-through?
4. Are the vertical pieces in the front frame too wide (4")? this only leaves about 13" wide opening.
5. Plan is to paint it white and add some trim to hide the plywood edges, does plywood need primer?
6. Is the top center bracing needed?

Thanks in advance!
Chen

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a stand using 1x for my 32G, and even if they aren't straight, skinning with plywood straightens up all of the boards [especially 1x]

I would suggest the top piece of plywood cover your side pieces in order to make it look nicer when trimmed [the top would not show plywood edge] also having your front panel cover the edges of your side pieces may negate the need for vertical trim on the front.

A simple 1x2 or even 1x1 frame will add a little bit of extra support and structure, and is very easy to add

Many people have been successful with plywood-only builds. I would suggest getting real wood plywood, as OSB is no good with water contact, and is a bigger risk [even if protected by layers of paint]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good design. One does not need the supports on the bottom unless one is looking to have the sump a few inches off the floor.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a stand using 1x for my 32G, and even if they aren't straight, skinning with plywood straightens up all of the boards [especially 1x]

I would suggest the top piece of plywood cover your side pieces in order to make it look nicer when trimmed [the top would not show plywood edge] also having your front panel cover the edges of your side pieces may negate the need for vertical trim on the front.

A simple 1x2 or even 1x1 frame will add a little bit of extra support and structure, and is very easy to add

Many people have been successful with plywood-only builds. I would suggest getting real wood plywood, as OSB is no good with water contact, and is a bigger risk [even if protected by layers of paint]

Thank you. Yes, the top piece will cover all the vertical panels :) it is the same size as the bottom of the tank itself.
Where would I add the 1x2 frame, maybe replace the front plywood frame with 1x2 frame?
I'm using the "Sande" plywood from Home Depot, is that ok?

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good design. One does not need the supports on the bottom unless one is looking to have the sump a few inches off the floor.
Well, true... I was thinking that will give me something to put the bottom shelf on and make it level with the door opening, but then I could just put the bottom shelf directly on the floor yea?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, true... I was thinking that will give me something to put the bottom shelf on and make it level with the door opening, but then I could just put the bottom shelf directly on the floor yea?
make since to have the bottom level with the door:)

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get some recommendations for the paint? Pretty sure I will use the Kilz primer, but which paint? Going for white, semi-gloss or flat.
I want something that dries fast and does not gas off harmful gases as it cures/dries?
Latex?

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just build the frame inside of what you've already sketched out. The plywood could be screwed/glued on to the 1x2 frame, and will give you the strength of both. Build a box slightly smaller than your plywood frame [accounting for the 'actual' plywood sheet thickness] and then screw/glue the plywood panels on to the frame. IMO plywood is strong enough as it is, so you would essentially just build a box, maybe put a couple of vertical or horizonal supports between the boxed frame, and then skin it with the 3/4" plywood. It might add around $15-20 to your total project cost, but will give you additional assurance of structural strength.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand built about 90% last night and have a few additional questions :)

1. I don't like the idea of all four sides resting directly on the floor, that gives me no chance of wiping off any water that might go in between the stand and floor. What are some options with regards to raise it up a bit, plastic feet? small wood blocks/strips? On my previous store bought stand, there's a gap between the bottom panel and the floor and water has gotten underneath it many times, I would just slide a towel underneath it to soak up any water.

2. As far as trim around the top of the stand, do people usually make the trim slightly higher than the stand so it sort of surrounds the tank, or keep it at the same level, which means the stand top dimension will look slightly larger than the tank itself.

Thanks in advance, I will share pics tonight ;)

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I don't like the idea of all four sides resting directly on the floor, that gives me no chance of wiping off any water that might go in between the stand and floor. What are some options with regards to raise it up a bit, plastic feet? small wood blocks/strips? On my previous store bought stand, there's a gap between the bottom panel and the floor and water has gotten underneath it many times, I would just slide a towel underneath it to soak up any water.

2. As far as trim around the top of the stand, do people usually make the trim slightly higher than the stand so it sort of surrounds the tank, or keep it at the same level, which means the stand top dimension will look slightly larger than the tank itself.

I put my stand on casters to be about to move it. If you put the casters into the bottom of the stand enough (far enough away from the edges) you can even trim the bottom to hide the casters

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my stand on casters to be about to move it. If you put the casters into the bottom of the stand enough (far enough away from the edges) you can even trim the bottom to hide the casters
Cool idea! Although I probably don't need to move it, but like your idea of hiding the suspension materials with trim around the bottom.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@czhao1009 I just when through this for an IM Fusion 20 build I am working on.

I bought an Ikea stand but wasn't comfortable with putting the weight on it so reinforced it with 3/4" sanded plywood from HD.
See: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/jazzmiks-fusion-20.329424/page-2#post-4103689
I hadn't put doors on yet in the pics posted but they're on now.

I used Zinsser Primer and was recommended to use MinWax Polycrylic as top coat.

One thing I would absolutely recommend is to pick up a KREG Pocket-hole jig if you don't already have one.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@czhao1009 I just when through this for an IM Fusion 20 build I am working on.

I bought an Ikea stand but wasn't comfortable with putting the weight on it so reinforced it with 3/4" sanded plywood from HD.
See: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/jazzmiks-fusion-20.329424/page-2#post-4103689
I hadn't put doors on yet in the pics posted but they're on now.

I used Zinsser Primer and was recommended to use MinWax Polycrylic as top coat.

One thing I would absolutely recommend is to pick up a KREG Pocket-hole jig if you don't already have one.

Thanks for sharing!
I was gonna use Kilz but the guy at HD recommended Zinsser Primer so I bought the Zinsser :)
I picked up the Rustoleum Ultra Cover Semi-Gloss White Latex, will update on how it goes, unless someone strongly recommend against using it, plz do let me know!

Yes the KREG is so useful. Since I don't have a table saw, I also used their rip-cut jig to cut the plywood, overall probably as good as I can get without a table saw :D

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing!
I was gonna use Kilz but the guy at HD recommended Zinsser Primer so I bought the Zinsser :)
I picked up the Rustoleum Ultra Cover Semi-Gloss White Latex, will update on how it goes, unless someone strongly recommend against using it, plz do let me know!

Yes the KREG is so useful. Since I don't have a table saw, I also used their rip-cut jig to cut the plywood, overall probably as good as I can get without a table saw :D

I actually used the Rustoleum Ultra Cover Semi-Gloss White Latex instead of the MinWax Polycrylic just because I was being lazy. Didn't want to sand the MinWax 3 times between each coat as is recommended.
With that said, I didn't like the way the Rustoleum applied. Maybe it was because I did it in the garage and it was too hot/humid.

Wish I would have saw that rip-cut jig. Would have been useful as I don't have a table saw either. Made all my cuts with a circular saw.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I just decided to build a couple plywood stands for my 60g and 30g build. Both have 24x24 footprints.

OP
OP
C

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, finished majority of the structure, still need to add a door (shaker most likely) and prime & paint.

Went simple in terms of trim, i don't have a miter saw either so just used some 1x3 poplar and some outside corner trim :)

Probably also gonna add some shaker style trim on the sides, sort of like those kitchen cabinet endpiece.
542a70208ca181b9d0ba52b87212ca5d.jpg

gencarson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite literally in the process of doing the same exact thing.
I used 2x4 to frame it, 3/4 inch ply to top and 1/4 for skin. I'm finishing the skins in an onyx stain with satin poly. I rubber-sprayed the bottom and top. Rather than nail the panels, I used some heavy duty counter-sunk magnets. So I won't need a door. Just pop the panels off and on!! I'll post a progress pic later today.

frame.png

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I would leave your original idea of raising the bottom a few inches inside the stand. This gives you a little space under the stand for air flow in case water does spill under there a little. Then, you can leave the bottom few inches open in the back to allow air flow under there. You could put really low profile plastic feet around the bottom edges of the stand, or that thick felt people put under furniture legs... this would also allow you to slide the stand on the floor without damaging the floor beneath (doesn't work with carpet though)

2. I built my stand so the aquarium sits slightly down into the stand to hide the edges of my rimmed tank. That's a little harder to do with the plywood design without doing a second skin all the way around the stand! So, that really only leaves you the option to build the trim up to hide your tank frame.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... should have read further along before replying... you are past that part in the build!

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what i used on my stand. If you are using a latex based paint, get some of this Floetrol from Lowes/HD. It will make the paint spread more smoothly as if it was an oil based paint. Helps keep away those brush streaks and allows the paint to dry slightly slower. It was awesome when i painted my stand.

20170602_163214.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back