Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 260 73.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 25 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 59 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

Regardless of what salt you use now, many reef keepers started with Instant Ocean. This seems to be true whether you have started reefing recently or have been in the hobby a long time. As a side note, many years ago Instant Ocean used to have a saltwater fish facility in Florida where I had the privilege of seeing the hatchery and meeting the founder many years ago. No matter how long you have been in the hobby and no matter what salt you use now, did you start with Instant Ocean salt? Bonus points for anyone else who wants to reminisce about the Instant Ocean fish facility!!! Also, please let us know if you have ever bought more than six boxes or buckets of salt at one time!

Brett S_InstantOcean.jpeg

Photo by @Brett S

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner3.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS had nothing but Fritz for a long time. Got me started way back in 2011. Instant Ocean is always reliable and affordable. My last bucket was Brightwell. I like the sizzle of the salt as it hits the water. Now I have a Red Sea that is launching my new 75g build.

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with buying 20 gallons of imagitarium pacific ocean water from petco for my first tank just to ensure all was perfect.

I have since then used instant ocean for my needs. No need to splurge on expensive salts.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Mortons (rock salt) in a Fresh water tank. Instant Ocean was the first salt widely available, shortly after Noah's ark landed on the mountain top.

ReefShaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st 3 tanks I started with natural sea water...it was readily available and most of the time I got it for free from the fish store I purchased my tanks....I have used IO in the past...not a huge fan of it as I hate mixing up salt...and it gets all bind up after a few weeks of sitting around...on that note I will be using IO for my QT tank....

Redneckgearhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thrown into saltwater, almost literally. An old neighbor had a salt 75 gallon tank and we would sit and drink a few cold ones and watch his tank. I moved away and about a year later he calls and says "she kicked me out and says she's draining the tank. Do you want it?" Up to that point I'd never kept fish.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st 3 tanks I started with natural sea water...it was readily available and most of the time I got it for free from the fish store I purchased my tanks....I have used IO in the past...not a huge fan of it as I hate mixing up salt...and it gets all bind up after a few weeks of sitting around...on that note I will be using IO for my QT tank....
yeah that’s why I get the bucket of reef crystals. Airtight lid. Got a box once, had a brick of salt after a few mixes. Very humid where I am

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not quite sure why you would use any other brand at this point.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back