DIY PVC overflow losing prime when return pump is off

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I recently built a DIY PVC overflow with some scrap material I had around. The overflow works perfectly when I test it in the shower, but as long as I connect it to my sump it looses prime when the pump turns off. The built is similar to the one from the "King of DIY" but with some modification, for example I do not have the "T" connection for priming outside of the tank.

Cattura.PNG

In the picture taken from the video there is a rough scheme of how it should work, the level of the water when the pump is off should not go below the level of the outside "T".
I
Cattura2.png

In my case instead the level goes a bit below and lets air in the siphon, thus loosing prime. The only differences from the Kingofdiy build are that 1) I did not add the red part, which as far as I understood is meant to be used for priming the first time and 2) Instead of the "U"s, which I did not have, I used some screwable siphons for the tap (picture below) which are essentially Us which can be opened for cleaning. My impression is that when the return pump turns off, the water still flowing in the siphon "sucks" all the remaining water in the pipe for few seconds before stopping, and this breaks the siphon.
Am I loosing some important bits? maybe the red part lets also the excess water to discharg "pressure" when the return pump stops? I am a bit puzzled because when I test the bits in the pictures everything works, but as long as I
connect the rest of the pipes going to the sump I get this problem. Any ideas?
sifone-lira-a-bottiglia-per-lavello-cucina-a-una-vasca.jpg

Ps. No, I cannot drill the tank and I don't want to buy an hob overflow. Many people have no issues with this kind of DIY and I want to make it work without buying an expensive plastic box.
also, I am connecting a peristaltic pump to the top of the siphon, sucking out the air that accumulates from time to time in the pipes.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....

Red part is i portant, also, outer part must be lower than inside.

Also, air valve on top piece that connects inner and outer part is must, this serve for priming....

Have this type few months, no issue at all, if build correctly....

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....

Red part is i portant,
ouch. Then I need to get a another T connection I guess..
also, outer part must be lower than inside.
Are you sure about this?? Isn't the outside T what defines the water level in the inside part?
Also, air valve on top piece that connects inner and outer part is must, this serve for priming....
Yes I have an air tube connected to the peristaltic pump, which basically works as check valve.
Have this type few months, no issue at all, if build correctly....

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, i wrote wrong....

This. Build exactly as it showed, adjust only internal part acording to tank height. I did similar, and like i said, no problems at all....

I see that u used syphon from sink, maybe similar princip, but not the one you nees for tank overflow

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back