DIY Radeon clone?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty dang good combo. I might be inclined to throw in some diodes ranging from 400nm to 440nm instead of just ten 420nm, and one cyan instead of one lime.

Sounds good. I have everything but the cyan and other violets but those are easy to come by.

The violets I use go from 410-430 with a peak at 420 so I stick with them since they cover the gap to my 445-455nm royals pretty well.

boneone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found another interesting chineese PCB 8Channel !!! :):rolleyes: 69W "XR30 3535 led", looks new, but nor mutch info on SMD & color;Cyclops
HTB1ThaUXwjN8KJjSZFkq6yboXXap.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...lgo_pvid=d3a60dff-cae1-4444-8ced-b35fe45869cf

boneone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23 LED´s might be a new g4pro clone :D:D:D :):):) ;Stig;Stig;Stig ;Couchpotato;Couchpotato;Couchpotato ;Drool;Drool;Drool

HTB1yKJXKxWYBuNjy1zkq6xGGpXa5.jpg

SAME AS G4P :cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;Smug;Smug;Smug;Smuggrin;Smuggrin;Smuggrin

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good except I would skip the yellow all together. then again, I might run the yellow, red and green in series at about 5-10% I would definitely run the B and W in series. Then you would only have to worry about 4 channels instead of 8.

If you also ran a blue board and a couple more violets with it like @Kampo did then this may be a winner. One of these, two blue boards and about 4-6 more violets would be nice on my 93 cube.

I think I might see my next project in the spring. I added it to my wish list in the app. :)

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't most controller only support 5-6 channels and can you combine the red green and yellow together to make these 5 channel how many channels do the gen4 pro have

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that it breaks out each color individually that said I prefer the one I have but this onenis more compact
Would be easier to fit into the heatsink.
Having built an 8 channel board before, I'd much rather have a 2-3 channel board since... once I know what I like, I'm not going to go tweaking parameters all the time.

I can get on board with this. But I think having discreet channels let's you drive me each diode properly instead of being restricted by the weakest one.
What controller would handle 8 channels

Reefpi stormx are a couple options

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that it breaks out each color individually that said I prefer the one I have but this onenis more compact
Would be easier to fit into the heatsink.

I can get on board with this. But I think having discreet channels let's you drive me each diode properly instead of being restricted by the weakest one.

Reefpi stormx are a couple options

Well since I tend to not use a bunch of colors, this doesn't limit me I just make sure to put the violets on their own channel.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I agree you with playing with my light I think this is all that would be needed for a really nice light 24 led light

12xRB
6xUV/Violet
2-3 Mints
2-3 High CRI whites (the luxeon sunplus have good coverage in the cyan/blue range)
have the RB/UV same control channel but different drivers. undecided if I would want Mint/White on the same channel.
maybe go with 1RB 2 Mint and 1RB and 2 White on those channels. that would be a lot of blue "OOMPH" but I feel that in normal ratios you see people hardly utlize there white channel in a 1:2 ratio. this would be closer to a 1:3 Ratio.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know, I believe a lot of times, manufacturers add all sorts of leds to just boost their numbers. They know good and well that, after folks get done playing around, they aren't going to use all of the power.

I mean, rarely do you hear of someone running all channels or even any channels at 100%. Yes, it may increase longevity of the fixture but to me, if you DIY it's a waste. Just use the actual number of bulbs you need to produce the PAR necessary.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on my setup I have 4 whites at 600 ma and 2 mints at 1000ma. For 8 RB 1200ma and 16 at 600ma and guess what I still run the white channels lower than the blues.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
posted it in another thread, but man if someone was good with electronics, would love to see if someone could resurect this project o2surplus had going back a few years ago before his health declined. in a reef setting it would make a really nice setup

IMG_20170412_200526844_zpsuama3pis.jpg

IMG_20170511_125948042_zpsy9esziyq.jpg

CwStrife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
posted it in another thread, but man if someone was good with electronics, would love to see if someone could resurect this project o2surplus had going back a few years ago before his health declined. in a reef setting it would make a really nice setup

IMG_20170412_200526844_zpsuama3pis.jpg

IMG_20170511_125948042_zpsy9esziyq.jpg

My god what is this for? Signaling aliens?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know, I believe a lot of times, manufacturers add all sorts of leds to just boost their numbers. They know good and well that, after folks get done playing around, they aren't going to use all of the power.

I mean, rarely do you hear of someone running all channels or even any channels at 100%. Yes, it may increase longevity of the fixture but to me, if you DIY it's a waste. Just use the actual number of bulbs you need to produce the PAR necessary.
That's the thing about DIY though, you can have what you want! I would like something with more power than the 48w pucks from theatrus, but that's what was available for my upcoming builds. I would prefer to be able to mount them higher, running something like 100w. Then the corals receive light from more angles than just straight above with low hanging sources. I got around that by just using T5, but in the future I may go all LED and do higher power and higher mounted pucks that I make myself.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back