DIY Radeon clone?

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw these led chips popping up on ebay lately, look like clones of the Radeon board. seems to me it would be a pretty decent basis for a diy light. basically uses the same led layout and cree diodes that radeons use. match it up with some LDD-H drivers a 6in Makers LED slim heatsink and controller of your choice and you have a pretty affordable powerfullight.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Channel-...897177?hash=item1caddb0859:g:SkEAAOSw945bF566

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I hadn't just upgraded my diy light with blueacro boards I'd order a couple and try...I'm planning a 36in cube upgrade for my "xmas" present, so thinking 2 or 4 of these would make an amazing diy light. it looks pretty decent looking at specs though...I do really like the blue acro chips i'm currently using but these are half the price. just wish they replaced the amber led with a 3k warm white like the radeon pros use.

Taylor Hahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think this might be exactly what I am looking for. I recently bought a used gen4 xr30 and was mounting it over my tank however the light mounts I received with the light were not the right size and although it caught when I put it on when I let go the light fell in the tank. I rinsed everything with distilled water and dried it as best I could and it would work sometimes but not consistently and some of the leds weren’t turning on. Would it be pretty to get these to work with an actual radion if I just wanted to swap the led arrays?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think this might be exactly what I am looking for. I recently bought a used gen4 xr30 and was mounting it over my tank however the light mounts I received with the light were not the right size and although it caught when I put it on when I let go the light fell in the tank. I rinsed everything with distilled water and dried it as best I could and it would work sometimes but not consistently and some of the leds weren’t turning on. Would it be pretty to get these to work with an actual radion if I just wanted to swap the led arrays?
Does this have the same number of leds as the gen 4?

I ordered two, I'll report back when they come in.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two arrays came in. They are definitely plenty powerful. The only thing is you are not going to be able to get optics on them as the leds are so close together. Pretty obvious from the picture in hind sight. They look very similar to the radion g3 layout so it's possible you could use those if you wanted optics. I'll try and get them on the heat sink this weekend and report back. I already had the storm x controller but you should be able to build an xr30 clone for around $130.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty remarkable find. It's unusual to find something like this with Cree diodes. Shipping is going to take forever since the boards are coming from China, but the price is hard to beat.

Even if these boards can't accept optics, a lot of reefers end up removing the optics from their LED lights anyway. Or, in the case of Radeons, people even use diffusers to get better spread and reduce the focusing effect of optics. At this price, it wouldn't be difficult to double up the boards to get the coverage you want.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions (thanks in advance if anyone can answer them):
1) Can individual diodes on these boards be swapped out to accommodate a different spectrum?
2) Is there a way to easily make the channels individually adjustable?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd have to be extremely skilled in soldering to be able to switch these out. The joints are the size of a pen head. I think the spectrum is pretty good though considering. Yes you can adjust each channel separately with a controller. I already had 2/3rds of the parts so it was worth it for me to give it a shot. I'll put a parts list together once I get them mounted this weekend.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ebay has a 15% off right now that applies to the arrays. Brings them to be about $30 a piece.

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bit as well with the 15% off. It'll be a fun little project in the least. Now the wait for it to get here.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm trying to decide if I want to go ahead and buy enough to make a full build. With the discount I'd be able to get the cost down to $106 a fixture with six fixtures.

tango0102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to build 2 fixtures with 2-led fixtures each. Probably going to get the Rapid LED drivers to drive them. It'll probably cost me $150 each for the build. Hopefully they can replace 2 of my 4 D120s.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back