DIY Radeon clone?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to jump on this thread. I saw a pair of radeons over a tank yesterday and decided that’s what I want for lights. But I’m not paying $700 x3 for a set lol. The noopsch lights look very cool but according to the recommendation of 6 lights over a 4 ft tank it’s more than I want to spend also. I would rather build my own to my own spec. I will be using a reefpi to control them I just have to decide how many channels I want and what pucks to use. I skimmed the thread but need to read a little more in depth and figure out an enclosure.

Enclosures are always the harder part. There are a few ready made options (MakersLED, the RapidLED boxes). I end up using shells made from acrylic since I have the equipment to cut them (laser).

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am following this post because I want to build my DIY led lamp. Somebody knows about open source led controller like an storm x or bluefish. The main features I would like to have is:
Individual channel control
Control from mobile application
Sunrise / sunset
Moon Phase

Thanks,

Bluefish wouldn’t be considered open source, but will do what you need. ReefPi is another open source option.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluefish wouldn’t be considered open source, but will do what you need. ReefPi is another open source option.
Mr. Threatrus, are there any plans to implement a solution with higher switching frequency than PCA9685 for use with reef-pi and drivers like yours?

Edit: Also, do you know why Ada board only supports 1.5kHz? It looks like it has a 25MHz clock on the chip, doesn't make sense to me but I am ignorant.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Threatrus, are there any plans to implement a solution with higher switching frequency than PCA9685 for use with reef-pi and drivers like yours?

Edit: Also, do you know why Ada board only supports 1.5kHz? It looks like it has a 25MHz clock on the chip, doesn't make sense to me but I am ignorant.

Yes, there is. However, the LDD drivers won’t be able to support it, so I’m unsure how many will want to go this path.

The PCA9685 has a number of clock divides coupled with the 12 bit counter, so it’s really the logical max for it. I’d like to see 30-60kHz be the default, but again, LDD limits.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is. However, the LDD drivers won’t be able to support it, so I’m unsure how many will want to go this path.

The PCA9685 has a number of clock divides coupled with the 12 bit counter, so it’s really the logical max for it. I’d like to see 30-60kHz be the default, but again, LDD limits.
Well maybe they will see the value in other drivers after thinking about frequency if we have another option :)

Thanks for the insight!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe they will see the value in other drivers after thinking about frequency if we have another option :)

Thanks for the insight!

I have something on that front in the works. Integrated controller / dimmer / driver package in one box.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something on that front in the works. Integrated controller / dimmer / driver package in one box.
Any solutions for reef-pi and your drivers with higher switching frequency? I already have them, but it would be nice to have a higher frequency than 1550Hz. Excited about your all in one solution! Should make folks lives way easier!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any solutions for reef-pi and your drivers with higher switching frequency? I already have them, but it would be nice to have a higher frequency than 1550Hz. Excited about your all in one solution! Should make folks lives way easier!

None yet, though emulating a PCA9685 with a suitable micro is not hard.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just read through the thread. I am trying to decide if I want to stick with the Ocean Revive lights I currently have that work, or take on a new project and build something exactly the way I want. Having control over 4-6 channels is sounding more and more attractive. Even if I dont change it much it would be nice to really fine tune the spectrum. The only issue I have is so many have thrown out so many different pucks and layouts I am not sure which one would work the best. My tank is 48" long 18" across and 21" deep with a huge pain in the ars center brace. How many of which puck would you all recommend? And where are you all getting custom ones made?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking 4 of these but where is it that people are going to get these with custom layout?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Channel-...188608?hash=item56afb6ed80:g:V1MAAOSwenlbB9FZ

That's what I have. And color is pretty good. Better I think full out than a Radeon full out. But too much 480nm blue. With blue turned fodo and suppliment royal blue it's perfect.

custom I'd do would be swap the deep red on the white channel for another royal blue. Swap the 8k whites to 4k. And on the blue channel swap 2 to royal blue.

That said if I were to do it again I wouldn't go with the puck.

I'd do clusters. Something like

Luxeon k16 royal blue at 600mah
2xsunplus whites
1xblue
2xhyperviolet

Or if Stevesled does the 3ups with luxeon c:

Luxeon k16 @700
3up with sunplus white, mint, hyper violet
3up with sunplus white, blue, hyper violet
That's roughly the power of the puck I bought. If 3ups cost 12 each it's the same price as well with far better leds. If Steve doesn't do the luxeon c threeup maybe @theatrus has some of the 6 led left strips left to do the supplimental instead as a custom layout. He didn't have any sunplus whites but had a high cri white.

A high power idea with those strips would be ( forgot the layout so might be wrong on if possible)

Strip 1
Mint white mint
3xViolet
2xk16 @700
Strip 2
Violet blue violet
Mint white mint

100 watts from a single 3in square array full out.

That got a bit long winded ..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back